Sign in to follow this  
Armond

69 R GT Coupe

I thought I'd share some pics of the coupe as I have done some work on it for the first time in twenty years. I am hoping to get it done for the 50th anniversary show in 2014. I decided to push myself to get it done. It will be tough as I am busy with customer cars. The car is one of 46 GT R 4 speed coupes. Unfortunately I had to take it off my rotisserie because I need it for a customers car. So currently it is one the ground for a while.

I'll post pictures as it moves along. It may be a while before I post some more.

69cobrajetgt028.jpg

69cobrajetgt006.jpg

69cobrajetgt009.jpg

69cobrajetgt011.jpg

69cobrajetgt019.jpg

69cobrajetgt023.jpg

69cobrajetgt024.jpg

69cobrajetgt001.jpg

69cobrajetgt034.jpg

69cobrajetgt015.jpg

Edited by Armond

Wow, what a special car. I had no idea there even was R-code coupes.

Can't wait to see this thing evolve!!

IIRC there is someone else here & I know he frequents VMF he has a green 69 Coupe with a 428 CJ.

Did they do any R-code convertibles also? Or even Q-code?

Yes I think they did, I thought I emember just recently Mustang Monthly had a small story on a 70 Vert with a 428 CJ.

Great car! I have seen that picture before on google searches, lol very distinctive! I like winter blue as well.

Yes they made both R and Q code verts too. I know where a 70 gold R code vert is... second owner survivor car, she's about 70 and knows what she has. She's not ready to sell. I heard rumor she turned down 50k.

The sealer is Lord Fusor #805. It is not like the original, but can be built up to look similar. It is much better than the original stuff. Unfortunately you can't get what they used originally. Ford was dumb because they shot the sealer on before they primered the car. Had they primered and then sealed these car, we probably would have more of them around and a lot less rust repair. Just my opinion. Thanks!

Armond, glad to see you're finally getting started on the GT's resto!!!!!! it's kinda funny that it's a winter blue car because for the last few months i've been seriously considering painting the 69 cougar winter blue, of course since it's a factory two-tone car i'll have to paint the top white again but i think i'm gonna do it an a pearl white instead of wimbledon white. i've also been toying with the idea of doing some kind of panel paint work on the C-pillars, maybe some blue and silver flames or something to go with all the old school speed equipment i'm throwing at it....whadda ya think?

Thanks guys! I'm not sure about the flames and the C pillars but the winter blue sounds great! It is going to be a few months before I get back to it, but I am determined to get it painted before the first of the year.

Looks great, Armond, I love seeing these rare cars getting the TLC treatment. Congratulations on the mention in Mustang Magazine this month, too, in the article about Jack Brooks terrific car. That car's been an inspiration for me and my black convertible.

http://mustangmagazineonline.com/article/mission-accomplished

Thank you! The date is a little off, not that it matters. But I received the car in 1995. It took me a few years to do the car because back then I was still working at the University and it took me a lot longer to finish a car back then as it was side work. After I finished it it sat in storage here until about 2003 and then he came and picked it up. After he had the drive train it I flew down to his place for about 5 days and polished and assembled the front end sheet metal and aligned the glass and put on the NOS GT stripe. It is a beauty and drives very nice too!