Sign in to follow this  
Mike

My R code project

I am figuring out what my restoration costs will be on my R code mustang I bought. I'ts a Mach 1 with no power steering and manual brakes, it has the deluxe interior and it's a 4 speed car. My Marti report says that only 1600 built with this trim.

By the looks of it I will have around $60.000 into it and am wondering if that is too much. EVERYTHING will be new but not all NOS.

What's you're thoughts!

it is up to you. Some key considerations. Suppose you put $60,000 into it. Can you insure it for $60,000 if it is stolen or totaled? Can you sell it for $60,000 if you have to or will you take a bath?

I agree with Powershift. Most of the builds you see here are not going to make the owners any money if they were to sell the car. There are some scenarios where you could possibly get a great deal on a car and "flip" it but that's not gonna happen with a full restoration.

Yep, in fact... a full restoration is the LAST thing you want to do if you are trying to make money! LOL

My Mach was rotisserie restored several years ago by it's previous owner. But, the price I paid for the car could NOT have covered the restoration.

I bought it for myself and don't plan on selling it, always wanted to do one and now that I have the time & means to do it, I want to, however, I want to keep it somewhat real monetarily. Plan on leaving it to my son when I go to the great mustang stall in the sky.

60,000 could not possibly account for the best part. The thrill of the hunt. Looking for the needle in a haystack deals.

If you are even thinking about cost , then I don't recommend demanding avalibility of parts. Wait out the deals.

What will kill you on that R code is if a lot of the little things were removed in the engine compartment and you want to take it back to original.