Sign in to follow this  
Mike

1969 mustang Mach 1 Deluxe Interior

Need to know if all deluxe interiors in the 1969 mustangs had a red stripe on the front buckets and did they all have the red inserts on the carpet.

I'm restoring my 69 and would rather not have those, I'm looking to put all white seats and all black carpet, what's you're thoughts.

If the car is actually a "Mach 1" then it SHOULD have the red seat stripes & carpet inserts.

If the car is not a "Mach 1" but has the Deluxe Hi-Back Comfort Weave seats (Mach 1 type upholstery) it SHOULD NOT have the red accents ... example: 69-70 Shelby had no red stripes on seats or the red mats, just solid black or white seats and black carpet.

Doug

Really? I didn't know that.

My car ('69 Mach I) has been apart for so long I can't remember if there was a red stripe on the seat but I'm almost positive the the carpet inserts were black and not red. Now the carpet may have been replaced before I got the car in '88. I can tell you that I think the red carpet inserts look bad. My car is red with a white interior and right now I'm leaning towards an all black carpet.

If the car is actually a "Mach 1" then it SHOULD have the red seat stripes & carpet inserts.

If the car is not a "Mach 1" but has the Deluxe Hi-Back Comfort Weave seats (Mach 1 type upholstery) it SHOULD NOT have the red accents ... example: 69-70 Shelby had no red stripes on seats or the red mats, just solid black or white seats and black carpet.

Doug

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this is correct. I am second owner of my Mach 1, bought back in 75, all original then with 51K miles on it. It came with a white interior and no red stripe. I'm not sure what the deal is with that red stripe, but that red stripe speaks nothing to the Mach 1 identity.

You guys could be right ... white interior Mach 1's are not all that common, and I can't remember the last time I actually saw one.

I appologize for jumping the gun on this, but I was 99% sure this was correct ... however I was not at home at the time to look & verify in my archive of 1969 facts & literature !! I'll look tonight.

Doug

You guys could be right ... white interior Mach 1's are not all that common, and I can't remember the last time I actually saw one.

I appologize for jumping the gun on this, but I was 99% sure this was correct ... however I was not at home at the time to look & verify in my archive of 1969 facts & literature !! I'll look tonight.

Doug

Doug, not a big deal, I think we all do this from time to time. Just the other day I questioned another member on this board about his car being a Mach 1 and yet having drum brakes up front. I've owned many Mach's and all had discs up front. In that, I was certain that all Mach 1's came standard equipped with front disc brakes. Wrong!!!! Anyway, thanks for you contribution here.

I wonder if it's something that just wasn't done with a white interior. That seems to be a common with the cars in this thread.

JTG, I owned a 69 SCJ, all original, with black interior and it had no red stripe. Again, not sure what the deal is with this red accent thing. BTW, isn't a silver stripe available for the white.......seems I've seen this before???

John

Right out of the "Illustrated Facts Book" ...

"The interior of the Mach 1 is accented by all new high-back bucket seats with "Comfortweave" knitted vinyl inserts, a deluxe 3-spoke "Rim Blow" steering wheel, special carpeting with a red accent stripe on black interior trims, ..."

So the way this is written, it sounds like the RED carpet inserts may have only been used on black interiors as well.

The "Recognition Guide" however states ...

* "High back bucket seats - with "Comfortweave" knitted vinyl inserts and RED trim across the top of the insert on the seat back.

and

* Special carpet - with RED sewn-in floor mats, front and rear."

The Recognition Guide is a very informative and usefull book, but the Dealer Illustrated Facts Book is probably the more factual of the two.

Doug

JTG, I owned a 69 SCJ, all original, with black interior and it had no red stripe. Again, not sure what the deal is with this red accent thing. BTW, isn't a silver stripe available for the white.......seems I've seen this before???

John

Probably ran out of the Mach seats on the assembly line and substituted in the plain black Shelby / std. Mustang CW high backs instead.

I thought the "Silver" (or Gray) stripe was used only in 1970 ... according to the CJP catalog ...

1969 Mach 1 / 1969/70 Shelby:

Blk/Blk stripe

Blk/Red

Dk Red/Red

White/Red

White/White

1970 Mach 1:

Blk/Blk stripe

Blk/Gray

White/Gray

White/White

Blue/Blue

Ginger/Ginger

Vermilion/Vermilion

The Mustangs Unlimited catalog listed the same basic combos.

Can't take this as gospel though, as the upholstery suppliers may be offering combos not originally available due to customer demand.

Edit ... just thought of this ... maybe the seat stripe color was dependant an exterior color.

You could get the BLACK interior with ALL exterior colors and WHITE interior with ALL but Pastel Gray ... the RED seat stripe (and carpet inserts) may have clashed with certain exterior colors so Ford built Mach 1's with the plain Black or White seats (and maybe plain black carpet too) with certain exterior colors.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me
added content

This has been a hotly debated topic in the past. By the book Doug you are right. But, 06minx09 you too are correct. MCA judges go by the book and that has ticked off a few owners at car shows who insisted their cars were correct. And that's because some cars were assembled not exactly by the book when they rolled off of the assembly line.

They only true way to know how your car was setup is to have documentation from the original owner. If that's absent, which it usually is by now, then go by the book. My car is a royal maroon Mach 1 with white interior. I have decided to go with the red accent stripe because I like how it keys in. I have also installed the black carpet with four red inserts. I don't have any documentation if this was correct when my car was assembled at the factory. It's just what I have decided. Bruce

Right out of the "Illustrated Facts Book" ...

"The interior of the Mach 1 is accented by all new high-back bucket seats with "Comfortweave" knitted vinyl inserts, a deluxe 3-spoke "Rim Blow" steering wheel, special carpeting with a red accent stripe on black interior trims, ..."

So the way this is written, it sounds like the RED carpet inserts may have only been used on black interiors as well.

The "Recognition Guide" however states ...

* "High back bucket seats - with "Comfortweave" knitted vinyl inserts and RED trim across the top of the insert on the seat back.

and

* Special carpet - with RED sewn-in floor mats, front and rear."

The Recognition Guide is a very informative and usefull book, but the Dealer Illustrated Facts Book is probably the more factual of the two.

Doug

Doug do you have the full titles and authors of those two books so I can order them?

Thanks

Kevin

Doug do you have the full titles and authors of those two books so I can order them?

Thanks

Kevin

The facts books are ...

BKF0 (64)

thru

BKF9 (73) at CJ Pony

or

MP291 (64)

FB01 (65)

thru

FB09b (73 at Mustangs Unlimited

Could no longer find the "Recognition Guide" at CJP ... appears that California Mustang bought the rights to it and may be the only source ... their p/n L69.

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me
Recognition Guide availabilty

Could no longer find the "Recognition Guide" at CJP ... appears that California Mustang bought the rights to it and may be the only source ... their p/n L69.

Doug

Although I own and wouldn't part with my copy of Dobbs' and Farr's "Recognition Guide", it was written in 1981 and a lot of new information has come to light in the last 3 decades (like the fact that not all Mach I's got the red accent). It's still a great source for generally "correct" info, but shouldn't be considered gospel.

Although I own and wouldn't part with my copy of Dobbs' and Farr's "Recognition Guide", it was written in 1981 and a lot of new information has come to light in the last 3 decades (like the fact that not all Mach I's got the red accent). It's still a great source for generally "correct" info, but shouldn't be considered gospel.

I have the same book which I bought when I had my first Mustang.