Sign in to follow this  
Hollywoodknight69

Project Name: The Phoenix's Revenge - 69 Mach 1 G-Machine Car

Seats look great--do they sit higher than stock? Not sure how tall you are but I had aftermarket seats in my 69 and head room was real close. Any idea when the car will be back together?

I am 6' tall and these seats sit perfect in my car. A lot more head room then my stock seats and they keep you very well glued into the seats as well. The car is coming along nicley but we still have a couple of months of work yet. This build is going to be very detailed and presise so it's going to take some time. I would like to see this car done by the end of August timeframe. How about your project? Do you have a projected date yet?

Joshua

Josh, I assume the headliner is out of your car right now? Keep in mind, although you may have plenty of head room at the moment... the headliner will have to be factored into the same space.

Headliner is actually installed right now so everything fits wonderful! The shop did an outstanding job of welding within the car while the headliner was still in. AMAZING!!!

Looks like a damn race car! Nice!

Thanks'

My goal is to keep it's Mach 1 roots and spirit but give it an all out performance look and feel to it! I will be posting a concept picture later of the back end and the blacked out theme of my car later so check it out!

Joshua

If you aren't planning to spin your motor over 6,500 rpms on a regular basis, no need for a solid cam. Not to mention, you have to adjust solid cams occasionally, were as Hydraulic cams don't need it once set.

BTW I assume you know "hydraulic" and "solid" refers to the lifters used with each type of cam.

Edited by Powershift

If you aren't planning to spin your motor over 6,500 rpms on a regular basis, no need for a solid cam. Not to mention, you have to adjust solid cams occasionally, were as Hydraulic cams don't need it once set.

BTW I assume you know "hydraulic" and "solid" refers to the lifters used with each type of cam.

Yes I do.

Edited by Hollywoodknight69

Good Evening,

Here is an earlier concept drawing of my car with the correct paint scheme. (photo from internet) The only thing that is incorrect is the wheels as this was an earlier drawing and I will be running Vintage Wheel Works V-40s instead. I will have an updated photo in about a week as I am adding the roll cage to the photo and photo shopping in the V-40s. But you get the drift of the car.....

Joshua

Hydraulic Roller or Solid Roller Cam?

What are you guys running and why did you choose either? Positives and negatives to each?

Thanks'

Joshua

There's an interesting article about this very topic in this month's Popular Hot Rodding. According to the article, one of the drawbacks of the solid rollers (at least in the past) is that they rely on oil splash for lubrication, so they don't live long in sustained low RPM environments typical of a street car. The different cam companies have approached this problem with either adding a pressurized oil hole, beefed up needles or a solid bushing to eliminate them altogether. I'm using a hyd roller because a big inch stroker doesn't need to rev to the moon and 99% of my driving is on the street. I have more power than I can use on the track already, and way more than I can use on the street (in most cases anyway).

There's an interesting article about this very topic in this month's Popular Hot Rodding. According to the article, one of the drawbacks of the solid rollers (at least in the past) is that they rely on oil splash for lubrication, so they don't live long in sustained low RPM environments typical of a street car. The different cam companies have approached this problem with either adding a pressurized oil hole, beefed up needles or a solid bushing to eliminate them altogether. I'm using a hyd roller because a big inch stroker doesn't need to rev to the moon and 99% of my driving is on the street. I have more power than I can use on the track already, and way more than I can use on the street (in most cases anyway).

the low rpm oil concern was my core reason for not just going solid. i have read on several occasions a desire to keep them idling up around 1200-1500 (probably higher the better) for street use. i didn't want to have to increase the probability of needing to replace the lifters every few years.

they make all kinds of solid profiles, so you could probably go to a real lazy solid profile to ease spring pressures and increase life.

there are some hydraulic profiles with apparent lobe intensities on par with some of the solids. i would guess spring for those applications get a little more picky.

the low rpm oil concern was my core reason for not just going solid. i have read on several occasions a desire to keep them idling up around 1200-1500 (probably higher the better) for street use. i didn't want to have to increase the probability of needing to replace the lifters every few years.

they make all kinds of solid profiles, so you could probably go to a real lazy solid profile to ease spring pressures and increase life.

there are some hydraulic profiles with apparent lobe intensities on par with some of the solids. i would guess spring for those applications get a little more picky.

Thanks for the info guys! We did use a Hydraulic Roller cam for my setup but I just wanted a little more insight on the two.

just found this thread AND WOW!

keep it going!

I've been stuck finishing a restoration on a 65 NOM vette but soon my RS600 from Keisler will be here (1 yr wait) then it's back on the stang...

Between this thread and kens earlier thread on pro.touring.com I have wasted two hours on this rainy day

THANKS!

just found this thread AND WOW!

keep it going!

I've been stuck finishing a restoration on a 65 NOM vette but soon my RS600 from Keisler will be here (1 yr wait) then it's back on the stang...

Between this thread and kens earlier thread on pro.touring.com I have wasted two hours on this rainy day

THANKS!

Thanks for the nice comments about the car. I just got done browsing your project an I can can truely appriciate the time and effort you have put into your project. These cars require such keen attention to make them fit and functional and you have far exceeded both! Great work and great list of mods on the car. Are you from NC? If so we might be moving to Pope AFB in the winter and we could meet up sometime. I know what you mean about losing time on this website. I could sit here for days and look at all the wonderful projects these guys and gals got going on.

I will be uploaded photos on my new steering column and steering wheel setup this weekend so check it out.....

I just finished mocking up the custom steering column with Momo steering wheel and I must say its badass! Nothing like having a splined removable steering wheel!

wow! its looking great! transam style all the way!

wow! its looking great! transam style all the way!

Thanks! I love the transam style mustangs and I am taking many cues from their designes, tweaking them a bit to fit my tastes and incorperating them onto my car. I can't wait to share all the progress we will be making in the next 2 weeks......simply amazing!!

So how about a progress update?

Hi guys! Sorry for the delay. There will be a big one coming by the end of next week. Right now the engine bay is being body worked, engine rebuilt, numerous parts sent to be powder coated and final mock up before final install. We have changed many things since my last update including engine specs (Solid Roller Cam instead of Hydraulic Roller Cam, Victor Jr Intake, New Valve Springs, New Ultra Aluminum Dominator Carb, etc) New 3500-3800 stall converter instead on the 2300-2500 converter I had set aside for it. 4.11 Rear end gears instead of 3.70s. Changing the side scoops from non-functional to fully functional air to cool the rear brakes. We are using TCP Upper Control Arms and Coilovers but we are hand fabricating our own Lower Control Arms. We are also doing a Strut Rod delete sytem where the orginal style strut rods will be removed to make a new style Strut Rod system. Another neat addition will be a unique exhaust setup and a rear valance change. We are currently building a Rear Diffuser for the car which looks sick, I can't wait to show you guys. An addition of a racing fuel cell had been added and a custom battery quick disconnect is in the works. We built a Nitrous rack for the trunk and plan on running a 100 shot.

The interior has had a major makeover which is truly unique. The front dash has been completely re-designed to give it more of a performace look while still maintaing the allure of the original style 69 Mach 1 setup.

Lots more to share and by the end on next week I will have some updated photos for you guys. I will be unvailing the car at the 2012 Surf City Garage car show in Huntington Beach CA on the 26th of August. Those of you guys in the Southern California area should come by and check it out. It's going to be a blast!

Thanks'

Joshua

After much debate, I decided to totally delete the back seat from the car because I want to keep her on a diet! Orlando Cantu, (My shop guy) is building this awesome rear seat brace that ties into the sub-frame connecter system!

Edited by Hollywoodknight69