Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Big Secz's New Project

So after selling the 'vert I had intended on waiting about a year before starting another project....Well so much for that. It looks like I'll be getting started in a few weeks.

As a disclaimer, before I go into the details of the project I do not intend for this thread to get into a debate like on previous threads over the dreaded "E" word. I'm only creating this because some have expressed interest in following my new project even though it is not a '69 or '70.

A buddy of mine has a clean '67 original BB car that he was intending on building into a Shelby clone. Knowing the direction that I want to go with my next project and taking into consideration he has most of the Shelby parts I need already, he has agreed to sell me the car and help me a little bit along the way as part of the deal.

What I know about the car as of now is that it has a 9" rear and he'll be throwing in a C6 trans as well as a 428 out of a Torino. The car is virtually rust free, needs new one piece floor pan and a patch in one rear quarter and that's it.

Looking forward to getting started and sharing it with you guys.

Question 1:

I'm thinking of installing a Unisteer power R&P. The information provided on their website says hat it fits BB with stock steering columns, but does not say if there are any clearance issue with manifolds or headers. Anyone have any experience with Unisteer?

I agree! I have a mate with a 68 fastback and I keep teasing him about putting an FE in it.

Ditch that C6 and get a manual box of some sorts though, have some real fun with it. Haha!

Ah I understand. I'm only a little fella, 6 foot tall but not a big bloke. I do however have a dodgy right leg from a motorbike accident so I can understand the uncomfort.

I'm going to sound a bit silly though and say I don't know what Secz means. I even had to Google it and still came up with nothing. Sorry, that may be sound quite stupid of me.:blush:

Any details on the 428? Or plans with it?

I'm only pretty new to the FE world and have been reading lots. I want to rebuild my 428 once and once only for a very long time. I just brought Jay Brown's book, its amazing! I've already got Barry Rabotnick's and it's awesome too. If you don't have them, grab them, they are well worth it.

Ok...so the origination of Secz.....I came up with it. When I got my '70 Vert I told my wife I wanted to get vanity plates for it but didn't know what I should get....Well her pet name for me is Big Sexy and she kind of dared me thinking I wouldn't do it....So I played around with license plate options to spell out "sexy" so I came up with sec + z. So "BIG SECZ" was my license plate up until I got rid of the car.

As for the 428, I have no big plans for it. I'm not a racer, just a weekend cruiser and I'm all about practicality. I made some unpractical decisions with my vert and ended up losing my @ss in the car when I sold it. I'm going to be in this car pretty good and if I play my cards right and don't go too radical I should be on the plus side if I ever decide to sell it.

So for right now I'm just going to go with a stock 428 and C6, stock suspension (which I may upgrade to coil over down the road), Granada disc brakes, maybe a posi rear, and possibly power r&P.

Ah I see, makes sense to me now. Sorry, I thought it might have been a lack of understanding on my behalf. I was quite surprised when I was in the US at just how difficult it was to communicate. Even though our two countries speak English, the language barrier with terminology, expression and accent was quite difficult at times.

But anyway...any idea on the next set of plates for the new car? We can get custom plates as well but are limited to letter/number combos. And the costs for specific combos per annum are outrageous. I've had a set of ASH82C (name/birth year/last name initial) since I was 18 so I'd say they'll end up on my 69. I tried to get CJ428 or COB69R but of course they were already taken.

I'm not sure if you have seen this build or not either, but I learnt a lot from it about a lot of little issues the FE's had. I'll know I'll be following the same steps when building mine. Oil pressure and flow is an issue in these things and I've learnt the hard way unfortunately.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/46-big-block-roadster-builds/268376-engine-build-thread-427ci-fe-big-block.html

Thanks for the link. I'm going to take the motor to have it bench tested before I install it in the car. Finger's crossed she'll run ok.

I'm not sure I'll get vanity plates for the next car. I will probably purchase and original set of vintage 1967 plates and put on it.

Slight change of plans. Opted not to go with the car I had originally intended. I have found another '67 Fastback and will be looking at it tonight. I've already found out a lot about the car and my body man is going to look at over the weekend. Barring any unforeseen issues with the car I'll be buying this one.

'67 w/289 4speed. Will post pictures later tonight after looking at the car.

Ash,

I've been watching that guys FE build thread for some time now. He also has some links to some great info on FE's. I plan on building one similar for my BB Cougar XR7. I might go with a 410c.i. though since Merc. offered that although not in a Cougar.

Jim

Ash,

I've been watching that guys FE build thread for some time now. He also has some links to some great info on FE's. I plan on building one similar for my BB Cougar XR7. I might go with a 410c.i. though since Merc. offered that although not in a Cougar.

Jim

I stumbled across it a couple of months ago and thought what a gold mine of info he had posted. I'm only new to FE's and am finding it great to follow others who know so much.

His thread is very accurate and he backed up everything he did/stated. Even if you're not an FE guy, I think someone could gain a lot of knowledge about the workings and processes of engines. I know I sure have gained a great deal!

Good luck, hope it is as expected! So why the change? The other car sounded like a decent start, did your buddy get cold feet or is this more afforable or something?

The buddy of mine that has the first car called me and told me about this one. He owns a body shop and restores Mustangs and is known in the area as the go-to for everything Mustang. We thought that for the amount of work his car needed, and given that it is a true BB car, doing what I want to do may hurt the value in the long run. We think that buying a good solid driver small block car may be the way to go. Also the thought is that I could drive the car around and have a little fun with it while I collect the parts I need as opposed to his car which wouldn't be driveable for quite some time.

So anyway, I went to look at the car tonight. It's not in that bad of shape. It's a driver, but still a project none the less. It had a new one piece floor installed a few years ago, but it also has a cowl leak. So the seller is going to bring it to my buddy's body shop tomorrow and they are going to throw it up on a lift and my buddy is going to go through the car with a fine tooth comb. He's already concerned about the cowl leak because to do it correctly is about at $2k repair of the bat.

The plus side the seller is going to throw in a bunch of extra parts, tremec 5 speed, front disc brakes, power steer stuff, extra hood, new carpet, and a few other things.

Here's pictures of the car.

Really nice fine. If it was me I'd drive as is and keep it in the garage to keep it out of the rain. I'd jump on it and if you do, would you be interested in selling the rims?

John

John,

I'm definitely interested in selling the rims once I get my new set. The rims on this car are original '60s Torque Thrust.

If I get this car I'll be selling a ton of parts off of it that I won't need. Seller is even supposed to throw in another hood. For starters I'll be selling the 4 speed and Tremec 5 speed.

Seller called me this morning and he's going to bring the car to my buddy to look at some time this week. Couldn't do it today. So fingers crossed everything checks out.

This looks like it could turn out to be a great start to your project, almost an ideal candidate for what it needs vs. what you want to do. Nice to have sellable stuff on what you plan to remove too to help fund things.