Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Big Secz's New Project

sorry to hear... keep your head up.. and keep looking!

Got some bad news today. There's a shake up in my company and lay offs are impending and my job is in jeopardy. So unfortunately this project is now dead before it even got started.

Well, now that the Torino is gone I am without a car or project.....After this last project I've decided that I will focus my attention back on building my dream car. I'm done with buying partially restored projects. It will be some time before I will be ready to jump in feet first into another build, especially one this extensive and expensive. So right now I'm just doing some preliminary research and planning.

Since I know for sure what my next car will be I may start stock piling some parts as deals come up....As one of my buddies says sometimes you need to buy the button before you buy the coat. But I will be taking my time and looking for the right car for this build.

So let the journey begin.....

I saw this post today and was like ah-what?!?!? I had to go back and read all the prior posts about observation and selling and the hate parts etc... I don't know how I missed all of this news.

I still don't understand why though. You put a lot of time and attention to detail in that Torino, not your dream car sure but a fun car the whole family could enjoy and all this before summer even got started. I'm completely flabbergasted and befuddled. :confused1:

I saw this post today and was like ah-what?!?!? I had to go back and read all the prior posts about observation and selling and the hate parts etc... I don't know how I missed all of this news.

I still don't understand why though. You put a lot of time and attention to detail in that Torino, not your dream car sure but a fun car the whole family could enjoy and all this before summer even got started. I'm completely flabbergasted and befuddled. :confused1:

Part of me I think likes working on cars almost more than driving them. I like the Torino because it gave me a chance to do things that I had never done before and it was nice to work on something other than a Mustang for a change. But when it was all said and done, the car just didn't do it for me. It was at the point to where the only thing left was paint and some minor body work and I just didn't want to put that kind of money into the car. I still managed to make a nice little profit on the car which was a nice change after loosing my ass on my '70 vert.

Other practical factors were, because I live in a townhouse I kept it garaged at my parent's house. My old man has a nice 26'x26' two car garage where I kept it and worked on it. Now they are getting up their in age and thinking about downsizing, so there goes the garage and my storage unit for the Torino. Not having a car to worry about makes things easier for everyone if they decide to up and move.

After dealing with this last buyer I'm in no mood to get into any short-term flips. So I'm just going to take a break and do some "window shopping" instead.

I gotcha, that all makes a lot more sense when you lay it out. Especially the fact that the paint and body won't be improving with age so if you did enjoy it for another year or two you would likely have to sell it for less. I'm glad you stuck around and shared the project though, I enjoyed it and I hope you do the same with the next one. Maybe even start a window shopping thread so we can see what you come across and ponder.

I gotcha, that all makes a lot more sense when you lay it out. Especially the fact that the paint and body won't be improving with age so if you did enjoy it for another year or two you would likely have to sell it for less. I'm glad you stuck around and shared the project though, I enjoyed it and I hope you do the same with the next one. Maybe even start a window shopping thread so we can see what you come across and ponder.

Thanks, Pak.

One of the other motivating factors in selling the Torino was that the motor and trans were original, never rebuilt, and it was only a matter of time before that would need to be done. Again that would have just been more money put into the car, and the market on Torinos is soft enough as it is. Putting more money into a car that I never intended on keeping was just a bad idea.

I'll stick around. I've been around this long.