Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

The stand looks great, better than the fairlane behind them!

Yea spinning that baby over will be some nerv racking times for sure.

I use the same gun for the primer as I do for the topcoat. I even use the 1.4 nozzle with acrylic etch primer, should be a 2.

I'm using a piece of crap $60 gravity feed gun. Very orange peely when combined with the lousy paint I buy. Luckily I like to rub my cars back smooth so it just takes a little longer. My booth is never clean enough to allow for me to leave the paint as it left the gun. I get too many suicidal bugs at my place. lol

Hahaha! I have some of those bugs here too!

I have a couple of other guns. Couple of Star guns and also a Harbour Freight one I got for $25 in California. It does an ok job at spraying clear on timber. Thought I'd get some more recommended when one came along.

Getting close to having this done. Got an hour or so done this arvo, the back is pretty much good to go now.

I had dropped the diff a couple of days back.

P5110011.jpg

Bolted up, just need to get the front on before I can raise it into the stand.

P5140056.jpg

From others I have seen, this appears to be a good spot to mount. It is feeling really solid too so I think it should be ok.

P5140053.jpg

P5140052.jpg

P5140050.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anywhere near my car other then a half hour late one night to wind down after a hair pulling day where I basically just removed the tek screws from around the fuel tank. Got my head off everything else, a bit of a tinker worked a treat.

During the week I got onto a set of floor pans on ebay for $100. The guy I brought them off even dropped them off to my parents place for me as he wasn't far. I picked them up today. I'm a bit suss on the drivers side floor as it has been replaced but it doesn't look great. Will know more once the carpet is out and the cars on its side. These came up so I grabbed them, may only use one, may not use either, but still got them.

P5180032.jpg

Also picked up my first paint order from SPI in Atlanta, Georgia. I had them sent over by boat. This stuff is meant to be fantastic, can't wait to have a crack with it.

They are also in the process of developing a new black base so I will be going with that and their universal clear.

P5180033.jpg

I really liked the SPI clear and primers I used on my last paint job.

You probably are ready know this, but in order to make the repop floor pans concours correct, the drain plug area needs replaced with a rib.

Was your 69 originally black?

Very nice, do you have any photos of your paint job?

They seem to be very user friendly products and the customer support appears to be second to none. Their forum has been a big learning curve for me. I'm feeling pretty confident that with patience, I can get a very good paint job as a result.

Mine wasn't originally a black car though, it was Acapluco. I really love the Acapulco but black is the colour I really wanted. I'm not too fussed on the finer details of originality. It isn't a concourse car, never will be, there's way too many changes to be one. The purists wont like it when I take it out. But I don't care, it's my car and not theirs.

I read not long back about the floor pan difference in a thread on here and there was a good link to a write up. It was a good read, but I don't think I'd go to that trouble. If someone is going to get a bit upset about that, then they sure wont like the subframe connectors that they'll be attached to. I can appreciate the work and depth people do to build concourse cars, its amazing. It's just not the kind of car I'm wishing to build.

I painted this 71 F100 4X4 a few years ago using SPI, base and clear and half of it with SPI primer (don't remember which one). I had worked on and off (mainly off) for many years, the reason there are two brands of primer on it.

I didn't take a good close up showing how glossy the clear is. The red covered very well. The clear was easier for me to spray compared to Diamont. It flowed out very well. But then, the truck was my 3rd overall paint job. I only had a couple runs that I had to sand and buff out. My brother n law ended up wanting the truck (forced me to finish it) so I didn’t even have it around for very long.

I painted this 71 F100 4X4 a few years ago using SPI, base and clear and half of it with SPI primer (don't remember which one). I had worked on and off (mainly off) for many years, the reason there are two brands of primer on it.

I didn't take a good close up showing how glossy the clear is. The red covered very well. The clear was easier for me to spray compared to Diamont. It flowed out very well. But then, the truck was my 3rd overall paint job. I only had a couple runs that I had to sand and buff out. My brother n law ended up wanting the truck (forced me to finish it) so I didn’t even have it around for very long.

Great, thanks for posting them up!! The SPI red is a nice colour. And I like your truck. I was hoping to come back over to the US next year to get myself on just like it but a 2 wheel drive. Anything between 67-72 was what I was looking at and one with an FE motor/ Am still hoping we can but we were hoping to go in Feb and it is now looking like finding the time is going to be hard.

Good progress Ash ! Not going to share a pic of your T-shirt :biggrin: ?

Hahaha, sure. Even though you've already seen it I now know:lol:

Nice little bonus I got with the paints

P5180034.jpg

And it levitates

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

Talk about scary shit!

Took my time and worked it slowly higher until I got to this point. It's at the point now where several blocks on top of the trolley jack are getting a bit unnerving. Need to dig out some concrete blocks now to sit the jack on and then start again at working it up.

IMAG0216.jpg

Got my first real look at both my top loader, 9 inch with a freshly rebuilt Hurst shifter as well as the Magnaflow stainless system. Here's some pics

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

New leafs but a mixture of old and new bushes, seems to be the standard so far (forehead slap!) :huh:

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

No it doesn't have staggered shocks, Jeff. It was rubbing in a couple of spots which will need to be addressed when it goes back it and the very rear mounts were pretty average. Other then that it appeared to fit fine.

Cheers Lemon!

I'm on edge! I just took it up another 100mm at both ends and its still not at the point where if I turn it, it wont roll back. I think I'm close but I'm also running out of height that I can take it up. I think I've got another 75mm and that'd be it. I think it should come very close though. Even if it does want to roll back the tiniest bit, that'll be fine I think.

It's so nerve racking though! I find I do a bit and I need to walk away for a moment. It's getting quite high up in the air now. The top of the fender apron is about my armpit height and I'm 6 feet tall.

The pipes sound very nice, quite raspy with a great note from the FE. Will be interesting to compare it once I have the new motor done. I think it will sound even better again!

Yea it looks like your so close and yet so far. My wife likes to call it Chinese workplace health and safety. She comes out and sees some of the stupid crap I do and shakes her head. But if she saw me doing what you are doing she would probably never let me work on the car again!

Hahaha, my wife walked into the shed this morning and the look on her face was much the same. She looked and said "I don't like the look of that and I'm going to not let the kids near it."

I think she has given up saying to me though that looks unsafe. She just knows if she hears me swearing a lot, well more loudly then if something when wrong, to bring out the first aid kit.

This isn't a great photo but it is much higher then before

IMAG0221.jpg

You can see here the rear quarter is about the same height as the bonnet leaning against the wall.

IMAG0225.jpg

I'll try again tomorrow and take it up that last bit, hopefully that'll be enough.

In the back are you connected to where the bumper bolts or to where the leaf springs connect? I am trying to decide "best" place to connect on mine.

BTW - it onlys looks unsafe to the untrained eye. To the trained eye it looks scary! :yes:

I used the two holes if front of the leaf spring mounts in the chassis rail.

P5140053.jpg

P5140052.jpg

I know people use the bumper mounts on the rear, I felt it was a stronger point to hold to on the rails. Just a personal thing I guess, I've second guessed just about everything I've done, you know, measured twice and do once, just to make sure I don't stuff it up.

I'm pretty happy with how sturdy it is feeling and I've wheeled it around a little in the shed and it is quite easy to shift.

I think I scare myself a lot of the time! Good old backyard performance procedures. I think though I've been to the hospital enough times to not make some mistakes twice. :lol: