Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Yours is different again? Man, what a pain. Do you know of any books or restoration guides that are worth while buying that outline things like this?

I have found old tek screws around the place but also just as many new ones with fresh holes so it is hard to say what exactly should be there and shouldn't.

The Boss sure was amazing! There was only one 69 R-code, a couple of 69 S-codes, a hand full of 69 Mach 1's, 2-3 times as many 70 Mach 1's and I couldn't believe how many Boss 302's and Shelby's were there. I didn't even imagine there were that many in Aus but there seemed to be quite a lot.

You've come along way in 3 weeks on the XB. If you had weather up there like it was here, you would have had a great weekend for painting! Well done, it looks great!!

Can you guys tell me about removing the rear glass, do I basically go through the same procedure as for the front? I can see the rear glass itself is sitting in a rubber channel which the rubber is sealed in with silicone. I had a search around but didn't find exactly what I was after.

Cheers!

Not really sure with the fastback as I have never removed one. But the coupe was rubber and was removed by pushing around the edges with my feet. lol Sounds bad but it really is quite simple. However not something I recommend doing by yourself with no experience. Hard to explain too.

We have had the most perfect weather for the last two weeks until last night. The wind started. And as you can see I painted it in my tarped off carport and the last thing I needed was wind. But it still turned out quite well.

Edited by Lemon Owner

I understand what you mean. I can lift the edge of the rubber quite easily so with two sets of hands would be better.

The cold weather hit us last night. A real big change, into jumpers and long pants. You might not get as cold as we do here but I think you got your painting done just in time.

I have to admit without really looking there were 4 or so that were easily missed as they were hidden under guards/body parts. But there is one on the passenger door hinge and there was a smaller one visible through the front of the shaker!

Still it is there job to find them. Plus I've found a dozen or more pine needles and plenty of dirt. There was a good clump of mud in a chassis hole, the exact reason why my mates car got held for an extra 2 weeks as "it was dirty and needed to be thoroughly cleaned again". As my importer said, it doesn't matter if it is dirty or not, just depends who you get on the day and what mood they are in.

I really wish I could have heard that Boss. I heard some of the others but that would have left a lot of them for dead!

We'll soon see! I've got some caster wheels coming, might arrive today and I need a bit more steel to fab up a rotisserie then she'll be up and doing circles in the air.

Just got back from a trip out of town to get myself a new work truck. I know in the US every second person has a truck but here they aren't really that common. They are around but are considered a big car to most. And they hold their value quite well. It's a 1990 F150 4x4 with a 351W. Picked it up for $3800. There are others on the market similar around the 10k mark. It needs a few things done but nothing too serious. It's also a dual fuel car which you guys wont be too familiar with, it has a secondary Propane fuel system, which this one carries 3 x LPG tanks under the tray. Can take roughly 210 litres of LPG.

It has a little rust, not a lot though, some surface and a small patch on the L/H roof sill. The paint has also faded and is getting thin so this will be some good practice at auto painting before I dive into the 69.

P4180001.jpg

P4180003.jpg

P4180004.jpg

P4180005.jpg

P4180010.jpg

P4180014.jpg

P4180006.jpg

And my boy was pretty excited!!

P4180002.jpg

Edited by Ash

Nice - I worked for a machine shop right out of high school. We rebuilt fork lift engines and other imports. When they would come in, the ones that ran propane were easy to pick out. They were pristine and perfectly clean inside although they would have hundreds of hours on them. It was amazing how clean they were. I just wonder if propane vehicles can run extended miles between oil changes?

Did you use a mirror to take the pictures? The steering wheel is on the wrong side :smartass:.

I spent a few hours photo chopping it to trick you guys, just kidding. :lol: I thought that pic would look strange to some of you.

Nice work truck.

Thanks, Mike!

I was cruising US Ebay last night looking for some parts for this thing, I haven't owned or had anything to do with them before so am not sure. Looks like this 1990 body is the same as your 1990 body but this interior is similar to your 1986 interior. Being Australian delivered, I expected it to be a bitser of our parts and your parts, that's pretty typical of our cars, but it makes it a pain to buy parts.

Nice - I worked for a machine shop right out of high school. We rebuilt fork lift engines and other imports. When they would come in, the ones that ran propane were easy to pick out. They were pristine and perfectly clean inside although they would have hundreds of hours on them. It was amazing how clean they were. I just wonder if propane vehicles can run extended miles between oil changes?

I know exactly what you mean. I've had some straight propane cars, my last 351C car I built I used an Impco 425 mixer, when you'd do an oil change the oil would be almost like you had just put it in. Most cars here use a dual fuel system where they put an aftermarket propane system onto an already petrol car. The benefit of this is you have fuel as a back up if you run out of propane. The aftermarket systems typically require the car to start on petrol to assist starting as starting on propane can usually require a few more cranks when cold.

The system on this truck is an older style where there are mixers, which are like a ring, in each of the intake pipes which drawer the propane into the engine. Our family car also has propane as a dual fuel set-up but it is a newer system where the propane is injected. It's quite clever and basically mimics the cars petrol system, each petrol injector is piggy backed with a second propane injector. It is a much smoother system and more efficient. It also doesn't have the bottleneck the older style of system creates in the intake with the mixer.

Yea, I try not to F around with them. One thing I do is I always stick to the old rule "A man has gotta know his limits". I know I do not have the time, money, skills or inclination to build a top show car even though that is what I really want. So I just try to do a pretty good job and make the car a neat and tidy reliable driver. This way I don't get stuck with a half finished project sitting in the shed for the next 20 years. Nothing worse than turning up to a cruise night in someone elses nice driver and telling people how great my project will be.

At least you have the coupe as a driver to keep the fires going to finish the R code. And you have had quite a bit of experience with older cars in the past. I am sure you will do well.

Ah fuck I just had a good laugh. This is how ridiculous Australia is. I just rang an F-truck wreckers as I need an air box lid for the F150. The answer I got was $450 for the air box assembly. I laughed and said rightio, I don't think he liked my reply. And all the retail stores wonder why they struggle to stay in business. :001_huh:

That's the best thing, Lemon Owner, I can turn anywhere and still have my 66 to enjoy and be able to join in. I know it is nothing like a lot of other Mustangs around, it is only a little baby one. But I like it and enjoy it. And with the amount of people who stop me to ask questions or give me the thumbs up, it mustn't be too bad either :thumbup:

Damn! 450!! I need to send all my parts downunder -- then I could buy a 100 point show car! :punk: and poof no more dirty finger nails.

But if the Air cleaner in Australia are made of solid gold - I guess 450 is a good price.

You guys are on the money, send all your stuff this way! :thumbup:

Managed to find another one, $120 for the whole assembly. Still more then I expected but way way better then $450. I told my Dad, I could buy a whole truck over in the US for $450!

$450???? Tell em they're dreaming. Sorry couldn't resist.

But yea, some businesses here have lost the plot. It is becoming a global market place and the old way of "screw the customer for all they are worth because the can't get it anywhere else" mentality won't last much longer.

I was chasing an XA/XB/XC shifter for the toploader and was quoted $900 for a reco unit from a wrecker. Just the shifter! I was too astounded to laugh. So I bought a second hand speco one off ebay for $175 delivered. I will keep the $725 I saved for beer and hookers and send pictures to the wreckers showing how I enjoyed their money.

I was too busy having a giggle to tell him he was dreaming. Should have told him to look at the dogs or ask if that was two stroke he could smell? :lol: See if any of you US guys have any idea what we're talking about. You're probably thinking :confused1:

I often make the effort to try locally just in case, but most of the time I just end up blown away at what the prices here and just confirms more and more why it's a waste of time. It really is a only a matter of time until the small shop down the road that is stuck in the mentality of waiting for the customer to walk in and come to them, are all gone.

Make sure you share the pics of your $725 investment :thumbup: