Ash

Ash's 69 R-code

Cheers guys!

Don't think this is a factory method of fitment :huh:

IMAG0302.jpg

Got the rest of that section out.

IMAG0303.jpg

This will be the second tool I have found in this car.

IMAG0304.jpg

Nope, only thing holding it there was if you look about 4 inches back, there was a bead weld less then an inch long on both side. And that was it for the whole rail!!

Here I am worrying about torque twisting and needing subframe connectors. I'm sure just building the thing properly would help a great deal too!!

My hearing isn't very good and the car is quite loud but I'm sure it would rattle like hell. I probably, or someone else, may not have noticed before, but after it is back together and hopefully has a much quieter ride, it would have really sucked to be chasing that rattle. Who would look for something like that hidden inside the rail? Would be the last place to look!

Here's something else, when the floor pan was cut out, a big grinder cut into the torque box and then left with the new pan welded over the top. I don't think this would benefit the cars strength at all either.

IMAG0310.jpg

I'm feeling like a bit of a tool myself. I thought I had a better car then what it has turned out to be. The excitement, the build up, the overwhelming and over anticipation of the whole process has obviously got the better of me when I brought it. I'm still yet to get angry about any of it, which is quite odd for me. Must be growing up :001_huh: Anyway, I know I'll have a good thing in the end.

I've also been working on cleaning up the outside of the A-pillar to see what I'm working with. I started sanding and the rust wasn't looking too deep. I was thinking I could clean it up and it should be ok.

P6050107.jpg

The top of it though it has had a dodgy patch put in and I'm thinking the cowl top has also been replaced. The bottom half of the cowl still looks like it has its original spot welds under the dash. The top just has the consistent weld here, weld there as well as some silastic.

This patch at the at the top of the A-pillar looks crap and the rust under it has developed and is lifting at the edges. Something needs to be done with this.

P6050108.jpg

The bottom left corner of the plated area under the top hinge was lifting in the corner. I had seen that this is a problem area for rust so I gave it a tap and caught what fell out. Looks like there sure is rust under here so this is going to have to be removed and redone.

P6050102.jpg

Cheers Bear, will do mate!

I'll make up something to suit. Am off for a steel run on Friday, I placed a few orders today for aluminium, sign white sheeting and will also grab some RHS and sheet mild steel. Most of it is for an enclosed trailer I'm building, some for a job and some for this car. I want to start planning the subframe connectors.

I had seen it to be a common spot, Mike. Do you have a plan of attack for yours? I was thinking I could remove the top layer and see what is underneath. If the next layer has to go, so be it. I know they don't do repo ones for 69/70's so what ever I do has to be made from scratch.

Yeah he did. I'm starting to get really worried about what I'm going to find under the paint. I can't see any major dents or anything like that when I look up under the quarters and etc, but I just don't know what may be there.

It wasn't for a quick buck though, that's the frustrating part. Frustrating to understand why you would go to so much trouble for some things yet slack out on others.

I have receipts for parts for this car dating back to 2000. Everything he said in that matter stands up, the story of the car and what he put on it. I just don't think he knew what he was doing.

I would start getting those floors back in before you start worrying about the rest of the car. If you start seeing how bad things really are you might just find something more interesting to do. Rome wasn't built in a day but if they new from the start how much work it was going to be they might just not have bothered.

That is my goal, to get the floors done first. I had just started stripping back that side as it was too late to make noise with the grinder. I work from home, my neighbours aren't too close and they are elderly and quite deaf. But one noise complaint would cause me a lot of grief with council so I try to respect business hours as much as I can. Fortunately I'm not the only one in the neighbourhood who makes noise with power tools so it's nothing out of the norm to hear them. Just never at night.

I would start getting those floors back in before you start worrying about the rest of the car. If you start seeing how bad things really are you might just find something more interesting to do. Rome wasn't built in a day but if they new from the start how much work it was going to be they might just not have bothered.

Ha - thats call denial! I think its part of our sickness.:whistling:

:thumbup1: I like their tomoato/vegetable drinks, especially with some vodka or gin and a little wasabi! It's no Clamato mind you but it's alright.
HA!

Nice tatt, by the way!