Sign in to follow this  
Ignacio

Ignition problems

Hi everyone, after a long restoration I finaly got my car to a point where i can drive it so I decided to make a short road trip and there the problems started, most of them solved by now except this one. Yesterday I was arriving to the garage after a 45 min drive and turn off the car to open the garage door. When I tried to turn it on I hear a loud cranking noise that I assume was the starter. When I turn off the key the sound keeps going so I rush to the trunk to get a wrench to disconnect the battery but before I could disconnect it it stopped by itself. After it stopped I tried to turn it on but nothing, seemed the battery was dead. I call a friend so he could help me to jump start it. When he arrived I just turn the key and the car started like nothing happened. Today I went to start the car and started no problem. When I got to the garage door I turn it off so I could oppen the door and when I try to start it again nothing, battery seems dead again. Anyone had a problem like this? I been searching and I found similar problems where the solenoid, starter and ignition switch where the problems but before starting to buy new stuff I want to see if I can pinpoint the problem better. Thanks for your help guys!!!

Hi everyone, after a long restoration I finaly got my car to a point where i can drive it so I decided to make a short road trip and there the problems started, most of them solved by now except this one. Yesterday I was arriving to the garage after a 45 min drive and turn off the car to open the garage door. When I tried to turn it on I hear a loud cranking noise that I assume was the starter. When I turn off the key the sound keeps going so I rush to the trunk to get a wrench to disconnect the battery but before I could disconnect it it stopped by itself. After it stopped I tried to turn it on but nothing, seemed the battery was dead. I call a friend so he could help me to jump start it. When he arrived I just turn the key and the car started like nothing happened. Today I went to start the car and started no problem. When I got to the garage door I turn it off so I could oppen the door and when I try to start it again nothing, battery seems dead again. Anyone had a problem like this? I been searching and I found similar problems where the solenoid, starter and ignition switch where the problems but before starting to buy new stuff I want to see if I can pinpoint the problem better. Thanks for your help guys!!!

My guess would be the starter solenoid. It's cheap enough to swap out as a test.

You need a voltmeter! They cost $10 and then you can tell if you battery is bad or if it is the solenoid. You mention the starter will not do anything and say it is a bad battery. My guess is either the solenoid or a bad wire.

Thank you guys for all the replays. Misery solved and it was from a place I never expected. I recently had my alternator pulley changed and it seems it was kind of loose, therefore it would only charge when idle. After a 40 min drive my battery was almost dead so when I tried to turn it on starter got stuck. My electrician told me that it's a common thing on this cars when the battery is low. Guess you learn something new every day :P