Sign in to follow this  
danno

AM FM 1970's with MP3

As some of you know, I am a participant in this forum who does these conversions of AM FM and 8 track radios to add MP3 or CD inputs. I have another one on ebay, search for 70 Ford AM FM MP3 and you should find it. Mine is the one with all the pictures and wires on the back. If you have read my postings on this forum, you know you can trust this purchase. So if you might be looking for one of these, consider this one.

Danno

Danno

Wish I knew about you a couple of years ago. Technical question for you. I had my Am/8-track converted to Am/FM 8-track w/RCA connectors and now every time I turn the car off with the radio on it makes a "ooohh" noise, except when I have the blower motor on low. Any idea on what may cause this or what I can do to fix it. Driving with FM is great, but the noise is annoying.

Mike;

Yes, I can add the aux input to either of the newer ones easily. I see you have an original 69 radio as well, and it can also be done to that but it is a bigger job. Electric antenna outputs are also easy to do.

Preamp outputs are easy, but a subwoofer output is not. Generally you use a subwoofer mixer for that so you can fine tune the frequency and volume of the subwoofer.

Another feature that a lot like is a USB plug for power. You can then use the uSB port to power your MP3, cell phone, or CD player.

What I charge is $80 to add the aux input. Another $30 for the preamp outputs, and $20 for the USB power out. The power antenna output is free. Return shipping is also another $20. This assumes the radio is in good working order. If it requires fixing, that is additional.

Rmarks, sorry I did not get back to you on your question earlier. If I understand this, it makes the noise only when you shut the key switch off. Do you have an external amplifier installed? What I think you have is one part of the radio shutting off before another part. When the fan is going while you shut the car off, it will cause the voltage to the accessories to drop slowly. When the voltage drops slowly, the problem does not occur. You could probably fix this by installing a capacitor on the +12 volts to your radio. Do you have an external amplifier?

Rmarks, sorry I did not get back to you on your question earlier. If I understand this, it makes the noise only when you shut the key switch off. Do you have an external amplifier installed? What I think you have is one part of the radio shutting off before another part. When the fan is going while you shut the car off, it will cause the voltage to the accessories to drop slowly. When the voltage drops slowly, the problem does not occur. You could probably fix this by installing a capacitor on the +12 volts to your radio. Do you have an external amplifier?

No external amp. Just the stereo, two door speakers and a dual cone speaker in the dash.

Rich,

In addition to the problem also going away when the fan is on a high speed, I can see the problem is that the amplifier inside the radio is turning off after the radio is turning off. They are both not turning off at the same time. A capacitor would be a fix for it, and you can buy one at radio Shack. Do you have a radio shack close or would you want to mail order something. I also might have one I can send you to try it out.

Rich, Send me a private message with your address and I will send you a capacitor. I have one that will work for you to try it with. I am also curious about which radio you are using?

Cobra, in some aftermarkets it can be done easily and in others it is difficult. What make and model radio is it that you have?

Cobra, would you happen to have the owner's manual for your custom autosound radio? If you do, does it have a schematic in it? The schematic is usually in the back of some owner's manuals, and is a diagram with a bunch of lines and strange symbols on it. If you have a schematic, that is the first thing I need to have to find out if the mod can easily be done. If you do not have one, sometimes they can be purchased for $10 or so.

Quick question Danno, I have an old 6 button Alpine that I'd love to use in my 69 Cougar, was perviously in my 70 Cougar, but one of the rear channels quit. Can you repair that kind of stuff? Also this is one of the lower end models that doesn't have any pre-amp RCA jacks. Would you be able to do the aux input mod for Ipod and maybe add some RCA outs as well? I'm guessing that If I were to run all 4 channels with RCA's it wouldn't matter much if the line levels were all working or not would it?

Danno, I'm Trying to hook up my original AM/ FM radio from my 69 on the bench to see if it works or not, and just want to make sure I have the right wires!!

I have a yellow, orange and blue/ red wire. Blue / black is dash lights. Is the yellow power, orange earth?? Speaker wires are in a seperate loom out of the back.

I would sent to you to do the mods, but its to far from OZ, Have to try and find sombody here to do it

Bnickel, On you Alpine, the fixablitity depends on where the problem is. Sometimes they have their own parts inside, and they are no longer available. The odds are it is the output amplifier, and the odds are it is fixable. Also, the preamp outputs might be easy or difficult, depending on how old it is. Which model is it? It just happens I have an old Alpine in one of my cars, and I know what is inside of it. I did the mod to it so I could play my mp3 in it. The short answer is the odds are it can be easily fixed and have the RCA outputs added.

Silverfox, my guess is you do not have the original radio for the car. It is a few years newer because hte yellow is the +12volts input, the orange is the +12v to a power antenna, and I am not sure about the blue/red. I will need to check in my book at home on it. Can you take a picture of it? As for the doing the MP3 work, I have a discription on one of the threads at this site. Search for my name and you should be able to find the description on it. Otherwise, shipping generally costs about $40 each way from almost anywhere, including OZ. If you can find someone there to do it, it is pretty easy (for the right person).

Your radio is from about 1980. They did not start using that style of connector until about 1979 or so. The yellow is the +12 volts to give it power. There should be a big black thing about 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches long in the wire between the connector and the radio. This is a filter on the input filter. The Orange wire is for power antenna out. It has 12 volts on it whenever the key switch is on and the radio is turned on. Some also use it to turn on extenal amplifiers. The blue red wire is the light for the front of it. It connects to your dash lights. The ground is connected by the chassis, there is no wire for it.

Your radio is from about 1980. They did not start using that style of connector until about 1979 or so. The yellow is the +12 volts to give it power. There should be a big black thing about 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches long in the wire between the connector and the radio. This is a filter on the input filter. The Orange wire is for power antenna out. It has 12 volts on it whenever the key switch is on and the radio is turned on. Some also use it to turn on extenal amplifiers. The blue red wire is the light for the front of it. It connects to your dash lights. The ground is connected by the chassis, there is no wire for it.

Cheers for that. At least I know what I have now. No in line filter. Will it work ok without it?? Fits into my 69 slot ok and looks the part. Had it running today and the FM works fine. AM not so, and the push buttons will not return to where you set them, only just more a tiny bit

If you do not have the filter in the wire going to it, you will get high frequency noise on the radio when the engine is on. It will be a squeel that changes with the engine speed. It might not be noticable, though, so you might get along without it. You will find out when you turn in on and compare the sound with and without the motor on.

For the pushbuttons, take the top off and you will see a wheel about 1 inch in diameter on the right side. It is connected indirectly to the station select knob on the right side. Spray that wheel with some WD-40 or "sewing machine" oil and that should be a huge help your button problem. That wheel is a clutch that disconnects the knob when you are changing channels. The clutch plate is the black rubber piece between the two plates on that wheel. Also get some oil in the area behind the buttons. You can kind of see this when you take the cover off.

The AM radio needs a better antenna than the FM, so try it with a factory type antenna to see if the radio really has a problem.