Sign in to follow this  
smokewagon

Need New Headlights, Any Ideas?

The simple thing is to switch to Halogen headlights, which are like those from CJ pony parts. You can probably get them cheaper from a local car parts shop, most still have them available. What really helps a lot is the headlight relay system. I measured it on mine, and the wires drop 2 volts. So if your battery is at 13 volts, your headlights only have 11 volts at them. The relay system solves this problem.

I'm sure there are less expensive ways to achieve this upgrade but I went with the Reenmachine 4 bulb kit. I've got the harness all installed, took the buckets to work with me today to trim them, easy peasy. Will finish install when I get home tonight. His kit is well engineered with excellent directions. Mustang Monthly has a wrire up on this install which has also helped.

Edited by chillininnh

Just an FYI, the very best way to make quick work of the headlight bucket trimming is a jig saw. Put two little pieces of wood under the adjustment tabs and run two screws down into your employers work bench lol. This stabilizes the bucket for cutting perfectly. I can't wait to get home and finish up.

Edited by chillininnh

All I can say is wow. Finished the install of the Reenmachine 4 bulb upgrade and what a difference!

2012-03-05_18-38-08_45.jpg

Combined with the sequential led tailight upgrade, I'll feel better about my visibility and the visibility to others lol, safety first!

2012-03-05_18-38-34_25.jpg

All I can say is wow. Finished the install of the Reenmachine 4 bulb upgrade and what a difference!

2012-03-05_18-38-08_45.jpg

Combined with the sequential led tailight upgrade, I'll feel better about my visibility and the visibility to others lol, safety first!

2012-03-05_18-38-34_25.jpg

Looks great man! I used a l.e.d. taillight kit from antique and classic auto out of Oklahoma (only 80$ per side) and they are super bright too. HUGE improvement. The kit came with lenses and trim rings and I'm pleasantly surprised how nice they are. Next will be interior lighting... l.e.d.s in the dash.

Just an FYI, the very best way to make quick work of the headlight bucket trimming is a jig saw. Put two little pieces of wood under the adjustment tabs and run two screws down into your employers work bench lol. This stabilizes the bucket for cutting perfectly. I can't wait to get home and finish up.

That's funny dude!!! And you're going to put two holes in your bench too huh? :thumbup: Bruce