Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

How do I compress brake piston?

I have always used a steering wheel puller. I put the threaded stem into the piston leaving the cross piece against the body of the caliper & screw down on the threaded part & it pushes the piston back into the caliper, or as stated a c clamp, or channell locks & an old disc brake pad.

I had found a c-type clamp at the local hardware store. On the stationary side, it has two fingers, at about a 60* angle. Then on the moving side it has the standard quarter-sized button. I use the fingers on the back of the caliper and the button on the piston. Seems to hold a little better than just a c-clamp.

M/C

Hammer and a big socket!

Well, that's what I did 20 years ago before I was introduced to the technique of slow forced compression (ie: c-clamp!). Actually, some cars have threaded pistons where you cant compress them, you have to turn them in. I think those are only newer cars tho.

Dont forget to open your brake fluid cover if the calipers are still hooked up.

Hi Dave.

Couple of questions:

1. is the opening for the brake line plugged with a fitting of some sort on that caliper? If so, un-plug it.

2. in that pic, the caliper looks compressed. How much farther do you need it to go?

In the picture, it looks like you have the clamp backwards. Remove the outter pad and use the moving part of the clamp on the inside of the piston.

Just my ramblings,

M/C

^ This is good advice.

Also, as others have stated, it appears to be completely retracted. Is it still not fitting?