Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Shaker conversion for 69-70 Mach 351C?

Has anyone converted their standard air cleaner to shaker setup? I know there are a lot of variations out there based on engines, carbs, transmissions, motor mounts, etc. My car is 70 Mach with 351C, Edelbrock 351-4V aluminum intake and 1406 carb and AOD.

I bought the aussie conversion ring for converting OEM 4V to shaker base. Recently I found a guy with OEM 351c shaker base and was wondering if I might be better off with it as a starting point. Pics of his OEM cleaner suggest there is some slant to the top of the base that I dont think I can mimic with the conversion ring.

I know each case is different and ultimately it will probably boil down to hand fitting the position and profile of the shaker on the car relative to the hood.

Edited by miketyler

Has anyone converted their standard air cleaner to shaker setup? I know there are a lot of variations out there based on engines, carbs, transmissions, motor mounts, etc. My car is 70 Mach with 351C, Edelbrock 351-4V aluminum intake and 1406 carb and AOD.

I bought the aussie conversion ring for converting OEM 4V to shaker base. Recently I found a guy with OEM 351c shaker base and was wondering if I might be better off with it as a starting point. Pics of his OEM cleaner suggest there is some slant to the top of the base that I dont think I can mimic with the conversion ring.

I know each case is different and ultimately it will probably boil down to hand fitting the position and profile of the shaker on the car relative to the hood.

Edited by miketyler

I recently did a shaker conversion on a 70 mach 1 351 W. It turned out great. That being said I would buy a OEM base anytime I find one. It is what is supposed to be there. I would say get the OEM base and you know it will be 100% correct.

JAG

I recently did a shaker conversion on a 70 mach 1 351 W. It turned out great. That being said I would buy a OEM base anytime I find one. It is what is supposed to be there. I would say get the OEM base and you know it will be 100% correct.

JAG

The OEM base was intended to be there on a 351C car with stock intake manifold and carburetor. Mine is not that so its a pretty good chance I would still have to modify something. Would hate to buy it only to find I need to cut it to drop or alter the height.

Does your OEM base have this slant to the top like in the pic?

Edited by miketyler

The OEM base was intended to be there on a 351C car with stock intake manifold and carburetor. Mine is not that so its a pretty good chance I would still have to modify something. Would hate to buy it only to find I need to cut it to drop or alter the height.

Does your OEM base have this slant to the top like in the pic?

Edited by miketyler

And over a year later used my old lower 351c-4V lower pan, dropped it 1.25" in the front and about .75" in the rear. Had to do the Buckeye thing with the front cup as well to clear the distributor cap. I might even be able to use my billet distributor now. Does that profile look about right with hood closed?

Has anyone been able to fit a Pertronix FlameThrower distrbutor under their shaker air cleaner? I'd rather run one of their billet units than my stock unit with their upgraded internals. Any thoughts/opinions on their distributors?

Hey Mike, nice Plum Crazy Purple 70 Cuda over there.....3838 or 440 car? Whose is it?

Your shaker fit up looks like it's coming along well. Can't wait to begin mine. Currently, I'm in

the research and parts acquisition phase....LOL!

So what distributor did you end up going with? My stock distributor height is only around 6.5" or so from the deck to the top of the cap. I would like to use a billet distributor for the looks of it but I havent found anything as short as the OEM unit.

I think the back looks pretty close. The front looks like it could come down a bit. I was trying to avoid cutting the factory lip off the top of the pan and did the drop around the carburetor ring. I will be running an Edelbrock 1406 and may have to run a phenolic spacer for cooling. If the spacer ends up being more than a 1/4" tall it will probably be back to the drawing board for resetting the level on mine. Guess we'll see when I get there.

Hey kidsStang, you're doing exactly what I had planned. My conversion ring and pan are floating around on this forum somewhere. What intake are you running on your car and do you have standard motor mounts? I will be running an RPM Airgap on my Windsor motor. I also have 1/2" drop motor mounts?