Sign in to follow this  
MAD IN NC

TKO600 or new Coil Over front suspension?

Yesterday put new QA1's on rear of her - unbelievable difference! Dilemma is I gott he bug to again go further...

I have three options to fully complete the resto mod being Trans, front and rear end suspension.

Front end already has the Randalls R&P - Great. Can do much better w Coil Overs, new disks and Control arms. Leaning toward QA1 coil overs with offset control arms and aftermarket new front disk brakes - going for the 1" drop and eventual new wheels and tires (taller/ wider etc.) whenever (actually the finish mod)

Trans is top loader today. With the 408 and 3:73 rear end on the highway at 60 MPH it beats the crap out of you driving her. TKO600 looks like a drop in kit... Also can get rid of the Z-bar. Have FPA headers already.

Can afford one conversion - Question is;

1- Coil over front end or

2- TKO600

I know they are diverse and different but just seeing what ya'll would do if at the same point............

I vote Trans swap, all the way.

Going from a 4 speed to 5 will VASTLY improve driving the car out of town. I love 4 speeds, but there is NO comparison from doing 3,000 rpms at 60mph, to doing less than 2,000.

I had a '65 Mustang with a Top Loader, and swapped out to a 5 speed. The FIRST time I drove the car with the new trans I swore I would never again keep a 4 speed. My '70 Mach will be getting a 5 speed swap, from it's current Top Loader, soon.

Also, I advise KEEPING the Z-bar. You can get a kit (from Modern Driveline) to make it work with the TK0600... and your 4 speed bell housing.

In my '65 I did a clutch cable, and the pedal feel was not great. A buddy did a 5 speed swap in his '69, and did the Z-bar modification. The pedal effort felt the same as stock. Also, most cable set ups won't clear headers very well.

Edited by Powershift

unless you plan to really cut your tunnel, a TKO600 is not a drop in when you have a shaker.

consider the new transmission from kiesler so you can keep the tail up.

So true! I had to make some serious mods to the front aluminum top cover and fabricate a new sheet metal "lid" to get mine to fit, and I still only have about an 1/8" clearance between the cover and the tunnel. The new Keisler trans seems a bit pricey, but it looks tough enough and if it goes in as easy as it should, is probably well worth the cost.

Guys - when I did my TKO600 conversion a couple of years ago it was not that difficult. Yes I cut and massaged the tunnel some but nothing drastic. The worst part was getting the hyd clutch connected through a lakewood bell housing. Not much space to work in to get the lines connected. That and removing the clutch spring were the biggest issues. Took a full day to complete and 1/2 day to cleanup but I am happy with the results. With 3.90 gears the car pulls really strong and in 5th gear I can cruise at 75mph at 2k RPM. I got 20 miles to the gallon going to the beach in 5th. I get around 6~8 around town not in 5th.

It was a good investment IMO....

Guys - when I did my TKO600 conversion a couple of years ago it was not that difficult. Yes I cut and massaged the tunnel some but nothing drastic.

I wasn't willing to cut the tunnel... very much anyway. I only widened the opening for the shifter slightly on the passenger side. I agree it was a good investment, and I'm happy with the performance, but there's not a lot of room to play with to keep both the pinion angle and driveshaft angle in a happy place. You either have to cut the tunnel or the top of the trans.

Thanks all for confirming the decision that my gut told me....

Money down on the Keisler perfect fit as what is key is to keep the Shaker and the stock console I got from Coz. Trans, speedo gear, driveshaft, new cross member at a better price than when I finished pricing out the total cost of the TKO.

Now the wait - 4.5 month's due to backorders....

BTW - Larry PM sent

well after close to a year I did receive the RS600, bought a new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch and after a couple of weekends of effort I finally shelved the top loader and POS Zoom clutch...

great package everything from back up light connections to drive shaft came with it. All I had to buy was Mercon ATF fluid and the shifter handle.

All in All I wished I would have done this years ago. Now when driving at 70 MPH the Tach shows 1,600 RPM versus 3,500 RPM... Car runs cooler, quiter and all around GOOD!

Thanks Kiesler......

:thumbup1:... How about some pic's.

Care to tell the total cost involved? :scared:

With Keisler, it is not about cost but time. I read horror stories about them. Guys ordered a particular model, waited a year, then had Keisler promise a new, better, and improved tranny of a different model, and the several month wait began anew.IF I AM DOING THE MATH RIGHT, MAD IN NC waited at least a year for his tranny.