Sign in to follow this  
302coupe

carb questions

Ive come to the conclusion that a lot of my engine and acceleration probs are coming from my carb but im confused about a few things.My carb is a holley 4bbl DP carb number 4777-7,which i cant find on the holley site.And the carb only has mixture screws on one metering block,is that right?Im starting to think this car will never run right in my lifetime hehe,thx all

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Ive come to the conclusion that a lot of my engine and acceleration probs are coming from my carb but im confused about a few things.My carb is a holley 4bbl DP carb number 4777-7,which i cant find on the holley site.And the carb only has mixture screws on one metering block,is that right?Im starting to think this car will never run right in my lifetime hehe,thx all

Picture058.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Yup she backfires a tad,flames come out of the carb at times too,isnt that normal?A rebuild is probly a decent idea but before that i need to try to get it dialed in correctly to determine what kind # PV i need.Isnt it supposed to have mixture screws on both metering blocks?

Edited by 302coupe

Yup she backfires a tad,flames come out of the carb at times too,isnt that normal?A rebuild is probly a decent idea but before that i need to try to get it dialed in correctly to determine what kind # PV i need.Isnt it supposed to have mixture screws on both metering blocks?

Edited by 302coupe

I had a 66 Fairlane with a 390 and a Holley 600 cfm on it years ago. Had a lot of the same problems you are having. Rebuilt the thing and could never get it right. Ended up going with an Edlebrock and that cleared up all my problems.

I had a 66 Fairlane with a 390 and a Holley 600 cfm on it years ago. Had a lot of the same problems you are having. Rebuilt the thing and could never get it right. Ended up going with an Edlebrock and that cleared up all my problems.

If you rebuild it yourself, I highly recommend you get an actual Holley kit. I've gotten other kits (NAPA for one) and they are not the same quality and had a noticable impact on performance. For example on the NAPA kit, the power valve gasket is triangle shaped instead of round, the passages on some of the other parts are smaller, so things don't flow the same.

If you rebuild it yourself, I highly recommend you get an actual Holley kit. I've gotten other kits (NAPA for one) and they are not the same quality and had a noticable impact on performance. For example on the NAPA kit, the power valve gasket is triangle shaped instead of round, the passages on some of the other parts are smaller, so things don't flow the same.

Yes get a Holley kit and rebuild it and No backfiring out the top is NOT normal.

While the carb is off, get a 4 hole 1in spacer to place under it.

You will get better low end and throttle responce from it with it installed and it will be much easier to set.

Holleys are simple once you know what to turn and how to set them up to the eng its sitting on top of.

Yes get a Holley kit and rebuild it and No backfiring out the top is NOT normal.

While the carb is off, get a 4 hole 1in spacer to place under it.

You will get better low end and throttle responce from it with it installed and it will be much easier to set.

Holleys are simple once you know what to turn and how to set them up to the eng its sitting on top of.

Use this kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-37-485/ Soak all but the plastic parts in a gallon can of carb cleaner with the strainer. Then use air compressor to blow out all the passages. and let dry, then reassemble. don't over tighten any screws. turn mixture screws out 1 1/2 turns initially. set float upside down with it being half way in the bowls. leave the idle screws set where they are. holley has a dvd that has videos to help if you want to purchase it, you can get this from summit too. Good luck

Use this kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-37-485/ Soak all but the plastic parts in a gallon can of carb cleaner with the strainer. Then use air compressor to blow out all the passages. and let dry, then reassemble. don't over tighten any screws. turn mixture screws out 1 1/2 turns initially. set float upside down with it being half way in the bowls. leave the idle screws set where they are. holley has a dvd that has videos to help if you want to purchase it, you can get this from summit too. Good luck

Hey,Ashlee,thats the exact kit ill be getting from a local,but first i was told to spray some wd40 round the carb intake connection to see if i have a vacuum leak.I have found some decent videos on youtube but i found one on a site with V8 in the tile,cant recall right now,that is pretty much the best ive seen for a car newb like myself.

I dont think ill have enough clearance for a 1" spacer but ill check it out.First im gonna get tuned up right without the rebuild kit and see if that makes a diff,but im thinking my primary jets are maybe too small.Im basically trying to gauge what i need before making many small orders for the sake of shipping costs.

Hey,Ashlee,thats the exact kit ill be getting from a local,but first i was told to spray some wd40 round the carb intake connection to see if i have a vacuum leak.I have found some decent videos on youtube but i found one on a site with V8 in the tile,cant recall right now,that is pretty much the best ive seen for a car newb like myself.

I dont think ill have enough clearance for a 1" spacer but ill check it out.First im gonna get tuned up right without the rebuild kit and see if that makes a diff,but im thinking my primary jets are maybe too small.Im basically trying to gauge what i need before making many small orders for the sake of shipping costs.

Alright so im adjusting my floats and i notice my changes arent having any effect soooo i take a look at the float bowl screw and nut,the nut has no threads??so whats its purpose?well i tried to load pics but photobucket is being pissy.

I found the link to the great carb tuning vid ,http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/110/28/

Video is GREAT for beginners.

Edited by 302coupe