Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

y not a 460???

Joe,

I have a 429 in my car with the original shock towers. The current engine is all cast iron, but I am collecting parts for a 521 or 545 with aluminum heads. I don't know what the weight difference is between an FE engine and the 385 series, but there is a lot more performance to be had out of the 385's. If you need headers or mount info, let me know. I have been through all this lately.

Tim

Edited by 72Pstroke

Had no problem dropping an early 460 Thunderbird in my 69, and cant think of 1 problem, had to grind a little off the exhaust manifolds to clear the shock towers, and make my crossmember work with the c6, shortened the prop with the c6 yoke, and used the auto rad for the cooler, the weight actualy made the car sit nice and low, but still went around corners like it was on rails, and it was faster than my mates 400 Formula Firebird, with no tricks or tunning parts.

I must say, my 69 is a Boss 302, so has the stronger springs and a 3.91 traction lok rear, otherwise its a 69 like yours.

BOSS87TO2001018.jpg

Had no problem dropping an early 460 Thunderbird in my 69, and cant think of 1 problem, had to grind a little off the exhaust manifolds to clear the shock towers, and make my crossmember work with the c6, shortened the prop with the c6 yoke, and used the auto rad for the cooler, the weight actualy made the car sit nice and low, but still went around corners like it was on rails, and it was faster than my mates 400 Formula Firebird, with no tricks or tunning parts.

I must say, my 69 is a Boss 302, so has the stronger springs and a 3.91 traction lok rear, otherwise its a 69 like yours.

BOSS87TO2001018.jpg

Not just the weight per se, but the center of balance is shifted to the front end, leaving the rear end light and easy to south in a hurry. The control of the vehicle centers on just 2 wheels, leaving the rear end light in weight.

I spent 20 years and aviation, and achieving the center of balance extremely important when a plane takes off and lands.

The ideal proportion is 50/50, but if you can achieve 60/40 that is what most vehicles were with rear wheel drive.

Not just the weight per se, but the center of balance is shifted to the front end, leaving the rear end light and easy to south in a hurry. The control of the vehicle centers on just 2 wheels, leaving the rear end light in weight.

I spent 20 years and aviation, and achieving the center of balance extremely important when a plane takes off and lands.

The ideal proportion is 50/50, but if you can achieve 60/40 that is what most vehicles were with rear wheel drive.

:thumbup1: Spent 35 years myself working with MAC and LEMAC on various military aircraft myself. 50/50 would give optima handing but even a Boss 302 won't do that in our platforms. A big block (390/428/429/460) is most definitely not the motor for a road course vehicle but years ago I was surprised that my 1970 428 SCJ with HD competition suspension actually handled better than my 1970 fastback with 302-2V and standard suspension.

:thumbup1: Spent 35 years myself working with MAC and LEMAC on various military aircraft myself. 50/50 would give optima handing but even a Boss 302 won't do that in our platforms. A big block (390/428/429/460) is most definitely not the motor for a road course vehicle but years ago I was surprised that my 1970 428 SCJ with HD competition suspension actually handled better than my 1970 fastback with 302-2V and standard suspension.

If you have got the right shocks and springs and hefty anti-roll bars, there is no problem making it go around corners, the torque out of these early 460's is awsome, the sound is also like no small block, and cruising at 80 through tunnels and under-pass's is music to the ears. Bliping the loud pedal at traffic lights and feeling the car twist, then dropping into drive and feel the traction-lok doing its job out back and leaving 2 great tracks of rubber...........man I loved it.

If you have got the right shocks and springs and hefty anti-roll bars, there is no problem making it go around corners, the torque out of these early 460's is awsome, the sound is also like no small block, and cruising at 80 through tunnels and under-pass's is music to the ears. Bliping the loud pedal at traffic lights and feeling the car twist, then dropping into drive and feel the traction-lok doing its job out back and leaving 2 great tracks of rubber...........man I loved it.