Sign in to follow this  
bradk

what oil do you use?

I forget where I saw it, but someone did a pretty detailed test of oils and published it. I think it was somewhere in Europe as there was a lot of oils I've never heard of. Royal Purple finished either top or really high for wear protection. Oh, here I found it. Here's the link http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf I was planning on switching to try out Royal Purple prior to reading that, but after reading that, I will definately give it a try. I plan to use Royal Purple 10W40 along with a bottle of ZDDP additive.

Prior to that, I used Castrol, Kendell, or Mobil One and always had a nice clean engine inside, and the engines lasted a long time.

Edited by jholmes217

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 as it still has the ZDDP anti-wear additive in it that all non-roller / flat tappet cams need.

What ever oil you do use, make sure it has this additive still in it or you are adding a separate ZDDP type additive at each oil change.

As all late model cars have roller cams this additive is no longer needed. The fact that these chemicals are bad for emissions is the other reason oil companies have removed it from every day motor oils.

Doug

In all my newer cars I use Syntetic Mobil 1 5W20. It leaves no carbon deposites, ( it is Syntetic) and being thin it flushes out the parts, keeps the engine clean.

Most importantly I use Mobil 1 micrifilter. My '86 Corvette had 300K miles and running strong, when I sold ir .

However it is not so good for older cars like my '69 Mach 1, 428 Cj solid lifters.

I use Valvolin VR-1 -Racing Oil 20W50.

I know you aren't supposed to answer a question with a question but - how often do you change your oil?

because I don't drive the car everyday I change my oil every 1k or 3 months. At that rate Royal Purple or Mobil1 is a waste. Trust me - for years I did the Mobil1 15w50 in the summer and 10w40 in winter oil changes. But if you are only doing a couple of hundred / thousand miles a year why waste your money on oil that protects against extended breakdown? If you run flat tappet then for sure get the ZDDP heavy oils but you can find that in regular dino oil without paying 8 dollars a quart.

This is not me being cheap - anyone who knows me on the forum knows I go top shelf but I find these expensive high mileage oils a waste. Dino oil with 1k on it is basically still virgin oil. And synthetics are a waste on original engines. The tolarances on the older engines do not require a synthetic oil.

My 2009 Tacoma gets the Mobil1 Synthetic. I drive it every day and run 5k between oild changes. That is what these motor oils are for....

Just my opinion but save the oil costs for some CAM2.

I've ran a little bit of everything; Brad Penn, Mobil 1, Valvoline VR1. All are great oils for the money. I run Pennzoil Ultra in my other cars. I've currently got Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 in my roller 357w right now during break-in. Not sure what I'm going to run when I switch to synthetic. It will probably depend on what weight I need to get the oil pressure where I want it. I'll probably start with Brad Penn or Mobil 1 0w-30. If I need a 20w I'll probably run either Amsoil 0w-20 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20.