Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Not all hood hinges are created Equal

Well i just got my second set of Hood hinges and springs from Mustangs Unlimited, which i have another rant about on the site under the Vendors section.

Well I just opened my box of New toys that I had to pay for AGAIN, only to find that one of the hinges is painted and the other is raw unpainted, then i began seeing other differences in the hinges, i will let yall take a look at the pictures and see if you can pick it out but here is what i found in about 30 seconds of side by side comparison.....#1...The stamping on the painted hinge is much better and more clear, and not near as wide as the unpainted one, thus making this stamping more Ridgid and BETTER.

#2....The rivets on the painted Hinge are of a larger variety both front and rear, thus resulting in more clamping force over a larger area, resulting in a BETTER Hinge

#3 its a thicker metal

#4 the rivets are compressed better

#5 in one of the pictures you will see what looks like a glare on the painted one, its actually an indention in the hinge which i am pretty sure is Correct, the raw metal one is just straight, the divet will result in helping to keep the hood squared up in the spring once the bolts are locked in place.

both of these hinges arrived from the same place in the same box, but are totall different, and the price was the same....Is there NO QUALITY CONTROL HERE ....I mean come on if i was the guy packing this stuff, i would at least notice that one was painted while the other was not WTF

Oh i also measured both sets of hood springs they sent me...the first was almost 2" in diameter while the second set was smaller at 1.8"....this is what caused my first set of hinges to destroy themselves because the larger spring had MUCH more tension than the smaller one..IE they sent teh wrong stuff AGAIN........

Well since you had to pay again I would send them the pics which clearly shows they are not equal quality and demand full reimbursment or you will notify the better business bureau and post about it on every Mustang forum.

always the same sad story... Made in the PROC.... if I would live in the US...I would go over the yunkjards ...fishin for OEM Parts.. even if they are dirty and rusty... but the OEM stuff works !!

Greetings from Germany

Juergen

Just a heads up for everyone.Im a dealer in Canada and we are having a lot of supply issues with overseas vendors.Stocked items are becoming less and less.Its getting hard to find some items.

I would guess that your unpainted item is from a north american company,the edp coating is applied to stop flash rusting for the long trip across the ocean.

American Designers stamps out alot of sheet metal and its raw with a oil spray.We are always recoating the parts before they get sent out.

The black edp coated hinge looks to be a Dynacorn part.

We by no meens are the size of them but do explain issues with parts before shipping.

Returns are expensive.

Hope they can fix you up.

I dont think the black one is EDP coated, its very thick and durable, and much better than any other parts i have recieved painted....The blaack one came in a bag with NO parts numbers or id on it.

I called them and explained the situation and they said they would send a Pick ticket to ups for the items and send me another black hinge....if its not stamped the same as the other black on ill send it back till i get a good one.

As for the junk yard parts, i went to our local mustang bone yard and got to hinges given to me, i couldnt free up either one of them LOL they were rusted so bad it was sick LOL...I want all new stuff...if i cant get satisfaction ill buy some of those hydraulic ones.

Mike