Sign in to follow this  
dpuwookie79

Wookie's 69 vert

Would any of you guys who have the front lower scoop/air dam comment on how it's attached? The kit I bought came with a dozen screws and 3 large bolts that go through the factory connections to the valence. I have the larger bolts attached through the valance... it just seems odd to use the small screws they included too. Thanks!

You are going to want to drill and use those smaller screws between the larger bolts, they are not enough to hold it without flexing at higher speeds and then the leading edge will warp.

Would any of you guys who have the front lower scoop/air dam comment on how it's attached? The kit I bought came with a dozen screws and 3 large bolts that go through the factory connections to the valence. I have the larger bolts attached through the valance... it just seems odd to use the small screws they included too. Thanks!

You are going to want to drill and use those smaller screws between the larger bolts, they are not enough to hold it without flexing at higher speeds and then the leading edge will warp.

Thanks pak! I have a parts placement guide, but it's not really clear on what hardware is used on the air dam. There are some great guides out there, but none so much as the guys here who have done it before :yes:

Quarter panel ornaments are back on... they were a real PITA. They still don't form quite right... going to take some patience to get them perfect. The driver side studs lined up quite nicely, except for the lower end nearest the rear tire. The passenger side didn't line up well at all. The top two studs went in without much fuss, but everything else below it was about 1/8" off. I mounted the top two in the car and have been massaging it back a bit every day... luckly the pot metal has given some and now fits in all of the holes over there! :thumbup1:

Got the new wheels last night and installed them. Went with Foose Legend Chrome. I went with 245/45 up front and 275/40 in the rear. The stance & size look pretty darn good, I think! There is some slight rub with the front valence when the wheels are turned to an extreme left. I'll have to do some adjustment tonight!

Those wheels look familiar...LOL...Hell that car looks familiar for that matter...LOL.....Looks good!

Did you get the 17x8s? I had a a rubbing issue in the front if I turned the wheel sharp to the right. Never could figure out what caused it.

Those wheels look familiar...LOL...Hell that car looks familiar for that matter...LOL.....Looks good!

Did you get the 17x8s? I had a a rubbing issue in the front if I turned the wheel sharp to the right. Never could figure out what caused it.

I... have no idea what you're talking about! Hey, It's hard not to emulate what looks good!

The front wheels are 17x8 and the rear are 17x9. The only rubbing I have is the front valence against the corner of the front right tire when I turn a sharp left. I figure I can space the valence out enough that it won't be a problem. Planning on hitting that issue up this weekend. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the compliments everyone... it's been a real trial, but completely worth it!

Edited by dpuwookie79

I... have no idea what you're talking about! Hey, It's hard not to emulate what looks good!

The front wheels are 17x8 and the rear are 17x9. The only rubbing I have is the front valence against the corner of the front right tire when I turn a sharp left. I figure I can space the valence out enough that it won't be a problem. Planning on hitting that issue up this weekend. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the compliments everyone... it's been a real trial, but completely worth it!

Well my car is long gone. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I did mine. It is turning out really nice, and you will be getting a lot of attention on the road, I know I did. :thumbup1:

Yes that would be GREAT if you could me the measurements of the hood stripe when you get the car back. I would greatly appreciate that.

Hey Mike, sorry I forgot to do this. The measurements of the small accent stripes are 1/4 inch all the way. Down the middle, the largest stripe is 14 inches. The smaller stripes leading up to the first curve on the hood (that turn to sweep down to the fenders) are 3 inches. Once it hits the right angle it grows to 5 inches... and then back to 3, once it makes the last right angle on the fender. I hope that makes sense :)

Edited by dpuwookie79

Well my car is long gone. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I did mine. It is turning out really nice, and you will be getting a lot of attention on the road, I know I did. :thumbup1:

Haha, funny story about that... I drove it to Jimmy John's last night to get a sub. As I was stepping out of the car a guy a couple of spots over was pulling into park. I think he was too distracted by it, because he drove his honda up on the curb. He got out and gave me a compliment on the car. I said thanks and acted like I didn't notice the previous event lol :tongue_smilie:

Hey Mike, sorry I forgot to do this. The measurements of the small accent stripes are 1/4 inch all the way. Down the middle, the largest stripe is 14 inches. The smaller stripes leading up to the first curve on the hood (that turn to sweep down to the fenders) are 3 inches. Once it hits the right angle it grows to 5 inches... and then back to 3, once it makes the last right angle on the fender. I hope that makes sense :)

No worries, Thanks for getting me the measurements I want to do just the hood stripe on my 69 Coupe.

Mike.

Boys, just joining the thread...I have a 68 mustang that was my 16th birthday car. She is 100%original and all stock and I am keeping her that way. She is great to look at but real world, no balls. Therefore, I have just purchased a 69 vert that needs a total going over. This girl is in almost as bad shape as what you started with. Right now I am faced with bad inner rockers and floor. The way I am seeing it, with everything coming together, you pretty much need to replace the ineer rockers, then redo the torque boxes, and then ad the floors. Any insights? Also, when you did your rockers...did you weld in any temporary restraints to keep the car from flexing? Thanks

With the verts it's a very good idea to put in braces to keep things from flexing & moving around. I just knocked some 2 x 4s across mine way back when I did my floor boards and tacked a brace across the tail pannel when I put in new there too.

Thanks much...any advice for the torque boxes...

Agreed with what 70mstang said. The biggest thing is keeping it as level as possible. We used several wood blocks and jack stands to support it at various points. We also only did one side of the car at a time. Just keep as much structure in as you can and support it where you cannot. The front torque boxes are the same way. Just make sure you keep support around the weaker points that the torque box is meant to support. I bought the "pre-fab'd" torque boxes, so all I had to do was modify it's shape a bit and fit it in. Just have patience, don't rush it and you'll be fine ;-)

Good luck!

Edited by dpuwookie79

Looks good. How do you like that console? I loved mine, especially the cup holders. I used to get compliments all the time at shows, people thought it was custom.

I love it. The cup holders are nice and big... good for holding huge bottles of water in this 100 degree midwest heat! I haven't had a chance to take it to any shows yet, so I haven't had many opinions on the interior. Mostly just people cruising by with thumbs up or making a double take on it ;-).

I do have a Q for you too, Secz. Did you ever install speakers in the rear seat area of your car? I saw that you did the pods and center dash along with the sub in the trunk in your "how to" thread, but I never saw what you did in the rear. I'm thinking I'll just do the center dash & speaker pods for now. I really don't want to have to cut into the quarter trim!

I love it. The cup holders are nice and big... good for holding huge bottles of water in this 100 degree midwest heat! I haven't had a chance to take it to any shows yet, so I haven't had many opinions on the interior. Mostly just people cruising by with thumbs up or making a double take on it ;-).

I do have a Q for you too, Secz. Did you ever install speakers in the rear seat area of your car? I saw that you did the pods and center dash along with the sub in the trunk in your "how to" thread, but I never saw what you did in the rear. I'm thinking I'll just do the center dash & speaker pods for now. I really don't want to have to cut into the quarter trim!

Sorry for my delay in responding. No, I didn't mount any rear speakers. I mounted the two speakers in the center dash and connected them to the FR and FL connections and then I got the aftermarket kick panels for speakers and wired them to the RR and RL connections. This way I could balance out the sound between the floor speaker and center dash. Between those speakers and the sub in the trunk I was more than pleased with the sound. These verts don't give you a lot of options for rear speakers, and I wasn't interested in cutting up my rear panels. The kicker speakers that I used put out great sound and the modest size sub added just enough complimentary bass.