Sign in to follow this  
10851CVC

Custom GPS Navigation install

Staying with my theme of a more modern interior for my car,(you can follow my custom gauge build here) I decided to do a GPS touch screen install in place of the radio. I know some enthusiasts will not agree with this kind of a modification but to each their own.

First thing I had to do was design a removable faceplate. I started by designing it around the heater controls.

[ATTACH]7543[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7544[/ATTACH]

Second I borrowed a friends Double DIN GPS for the dimensions of the unit and welded the rest of the soon to be face plate.

[ATTACH]7545[/ATTACH]

Next (Tonight) I will build the cage that will permanently hold the GPS unit in place to the dash, behind the face plate, and weld the faceplates onto the skeleton I have created.

Edited by 10851CVC

sweet....!! i built a GPS/Navi for my 96 Cobra... I'll be watching this thread and staring at my dash, when I get it back, to see if I want to install my remaining setup from my Cobra in the 69.

subscribed...!!

MP3car dot com was my source for the cobra build...

Well I was hoping to post a detailed update today with pictures, but the UPS guy didn't show up until 7:30 PM last night with my Clarion NX500 double din deck from Crutchfield audio. Then after the UPS guy came and went, I started running out of time and was only able to get some pieces cut. Im gonna get a chance this wednesday to work on it again and hopefully finish it up. Stay tuned.

No it will not, ...let me caveat that and say, I guess it depends on your shifter handle/stick, and transmission combination. Viper T56 and hurst short throw shifter works fine as well as a T5 with a stock shifter and handle.

I personally think it won't get in the way of any other combos either.

Edited by 10851CVC

So I got the chance to work on the dash again today. This is by in no means complete as there is still alot of support structure to build as well as finishing the face plate.

So first thing I had to do was create a rear bracket for GPS not only for support but also to mount the radio to. Below is a picture of the raer support mocked up.

[ATTACH]7567[/ATTACH]

After I finalized the position of the rear support bracket I gave it side supports (basically stilts) and a top brace.(The third picture is sideways). Also you can see that I had to cut the top of the dash to make room. After all the fitting is complete I will fix the top of the dash with some spare sheet metal.

[ATTACH]7568[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7569[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7570[/ATTACH]

I next made side brackets that attach to the side of the GPS, they are sill in rough form and need to be cleaned up,shaped, and painted.

[ATTACH]7571[/ATTACH]

Edited by 10851CVC

Here is pic of the bracket mounted to the GPS. As you can tell they mount the rear. This is so the will "butt" up to the rear support i made earlier which will get its own brackets so the radio will securely bolt to it.

[ATTACH]7572[/ATTACH]

And then after that I did a trial run for fitment of the GPS and the front faceplate created earlier. ...Brace yourself ...money shot..

[ATTACH]7573[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7574[/ATTACH]

I have a lot left to do so hopefully saturday I can finish it up, I will post after I do.