Sign in to follow this  
Blowngt92

My 69 Coupe Restomod/PT Build

I have not run a marti report on it but as far as S-code coupes in 69, there were only about 850 or so ever made. It was originally Lime Green, 390 320hp, c-6, 9", and standard base black interior. I am keeping the interior fairly stock, and other than the engine combo, suspension, and paint, I figure years down the road if it is worth something, I will restore it back.

I'm torn on the engine. A 390 would be cool to match the code but more money than power, a cleveland is a throw back to some nostalgic performance (not to mention the crazy power they make with few mods, but cost $$$), and a windsor based like in my fox with a blowthru procharger would be my other choice (I am partial to that obviously).

That's kinda why I would go back to the big block. They are rare, unique, and you already have a windsor in the stable. Lime Green won't get too many people fired up, but it is a seriously cool car. If I were going to build a cleveland car or a windsor, I would start with a much more common variant.

Of course, I am building something completely different from what I started with, so you have to do what ultimately makes you happy.

I say build what you already have. The cleveland is not that expensive to build a good reliable street engine with plenty of power. You can then take your time to get a 390 together and have it sitting around if you want to restore it back to original some day.

I say build what you already have. The cleveland is not that expensive to build a good reliable street engine with plenty of power. You can then take your time to get a 390 together and have it sitting around if you want to restore it back to original some day.

Well its been a while, but finally picked it up this morning from my body guy! Pics are not the best since we had a huge storm move through last night with Tornadoes and brought some cold muggy weather behind it.

Now all I need to do is install the rear suspension, finish some wiring, exhaust and tint, and she will be on the road!

69Mustang2-1.jpg

69Mustang1-1.jpg

69Mustang1-1.jpg

This is what the color will look like in the sun. Its Lexus SGM

145174d1244504085-official-smoky-granite-mica-isx50-thread-cl-photo-is350.jpg

It still has the cleveland. I am still in debate whether it will be a procharged 393w or a built 390 stroker. I keep leaning towards the 393W since I have alot of parts, and already have extra procharger brackets, but this is a cruiser so don't need stupid horsepower. I already have a car for that, so may just end up flipping a coin.

It still has the cleveland. I am still in debate whether it will be a procharged 393w or a built 390 stroker. I keep leaning towards the 393W since I have alot of parts, and already have extra procharger brackets, but this is a cruiser so don't need stupid horsepower. I already have a car for that, so may just end up flipping a coin.

I hear ya. That would be a tough call. I didn't have any extra parts sitting around to make me sway either way. And like you said a blown 393w would be pretty damn sweet. Keep posting up pics, car is looking great!!!

Here is a long over due update. Decided to go with a T-5 and ditch the FMX. So far the car should be done in a couple weeks, have the T-5 and motor about ready to go back in it. Just finishing up repainting the engine bay and fixing all the janked up wiring. Probably took 30ft of wire out from behind the dash, installed a auxillary fuse box next to the original to run the acessories and the only thing on a toggle switch for the moment is the electric fan. Oh yeah, plus had to disarm about five random hot wires that were hanging around under the dash and engine compartment! The biggest was the broken motor mount bolt in the block. Can't believe someone would only use one bolt to hold the torque side mount to the motor. Luckily all it took was a grippy drill bit to break it loose and a small screw driver, hammer and some patience to back it out!

Edited by Blowngt92

Here is a long over due update. Decided to go with a T-5 and ditch the FMX. So far the car should be done in a couple weeks, have the T-5 and motor about ready to go back in it. Just finishing up repainting the engine bay and fixing all the janked up wiring. Probably took 30ft of wire out from behind the dash, installed a auxillary fuse box next to the original to run the acessories and the only thing on a toggle switch for the moment is the electric fan. Oh yeah, plus had to disarm about five random hot wires that were hanging around under the dash and engine compartment! The biggest was the broken motor mount bolt in the block. Can't believe someone would only use one bolt to hold the torque side mount to the motor. Luckily all it took was a grippy drill bit to break it loose and a small screw driver, hammer and some patience to back it out!

Edited by Blowngt92

Here are some updated pics, the first is the motor before. Will have a motor after monday hopefully!

2011-04-13_14-40-25_551.jpg

This is the motor after cleaning all the old paint off and repainting. Have to install a new oil pan because a previous owner at some point put a nice large dent in the bottom of it.

2011-05-13_18-25-45_413.jpg

Here are a couple pics of repainting the bay and getting as much of the old paint off as I can.

2011-05-13_18-25-56_804.jpg

2011-05-13_18-26-05_333.jpg

2011-05-19_12-30-29_516.jpg

Edited by Blowngt92

Here are some updated pics, the first is the motor before. Will have a motor after monday hopefully!

2011-04-13_14-40-25_551.jpg

This is the motor after cleaning all the old paint off and repainting. Have to install a new oil pan because a previous owner at some point put a nice large dent in the bottom of it.

2011-05-13_18-25-45_413.jpg

Here are a couple pics of repainting the bay and getting as much of the old paint off as I can.

2011-05-13_18-25-56_804.jpg

2011-05-13_18-26-05_333.jpg

2011-05-19_12-30-29_516.jpg

Edited by Blowngt92

Had to change to a Bendix booster to clear the Hydraulic clutch set up

2011-05-23_10-53-39_576.jpg

Tried some DIY cermaic coating on the headers. We will see how long it lasts

2011-05-23_08-17-36_756.jpg

Car is Finally ready for the Engine and Transmission

2011-05-25_15-21-01_246.jpg

Here are some updated Pics, Finished up most of the Interior

Interiorfinished.jpg

Dropped the motor in this weekend

Motorin.jpg

motorin2.jpg

Engine2.jpg

And here is the Shifter and stick. Really digging the UPR handle

shifter.jpg

Edited by Blowngt92

Had to change to a Bendix booster to clear the Hydraulic clutch set up

2011-05-23_10-53-39_576.jpg

Tried some DIY cermaic coating on the headers. We will see how long it lasts

2011-05-23_08-17-36_756.jpg

Car is Finally ready for the Engine and Transmission

2011-05-25_15-21-01_246.jpg

Here are some updated Pics, Finished up most of the Interior

Interiorfinished.jpg

Dropped the motor in this weekend

Motorin.jpg

motorin2.jpg

Engine2.jpg

And here is the Shifter and stick. Really digging the UPR handle

shifter.jpg

Edited by Blowngt92

Looks good. Are you going to the good guys car show over the 4th weekend? I think im coming up there for it.

It should be, but will not be completely done. Still need to do the headliner.

Muuztang89 Thanks for the compliment! Although it is a very dark grey pearl. Looks black in low light but grey in the sun.

Nice job dude. I have the same steering wheel. Were you able to get the horn button to work? I tried and I failed several times.

I haven't gotten that far. I am leaving it out and the wheel a little loose to make sure it is centered with my rack. I have the TCP rack so there are many splines to hook it up. Once it is running I will check the lock to lock turns then tighten it up and put the button in.

Im debating if i should go with those raceline wheels or the fr500s (staggered) but i think after seeing them on your car.. i think racelines are calling my name. I even called and they said they can stagger them aswell. hrm... lol decision, decisions...