Sign in to follow this  
panteramatt

different window crank for speaker clearance

Im going to see if I can fit some 6 1/2" speakers in the bottom part of my doors on my 69 mach1. First thing I noticed is that the window crank would hit the speaker grill if I put the in there. Do they make any that stick out further to clear a speaker?

Our cars actually came with two different handle lengths due the door speakers. I'm not sure if the shorter ones are reproduced or not.

Not to rain on your parade, but I seriously doubt you'll fit those speakers in there. I have 4x6 Polk Audio MOMO speakers in my doors and they just barely clear the windor regulator mechanism. Roll your window up and down and watch the big section that has the gear teeth. It swoops down around where these speakers will be, so clearance is an issue. FYI

+1 on the window advice from Buening. I had small round speakers in my doors long ago. Probably 5" or 5-1/4". The window crank cleared (barely) but the window clearance inside the door was a bigger obstacle. Another option is the original door speakers and grills are being reproduced.

FWIW I have those Polk Audios behind the factory speaker grills. These are the 4" + 1" tweeter plate type speakers. You could always go the kickpanel route and put larger speakers in the kick panels. You'll lose the fresh air vents, assuming you use those.

You could always go with a different (shorter) handle and also set the speaker out some. Although this is quite custom, you could do what this guy did with his speakers. I know they are 6 1/2 in the doors...

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/111_1156?full=1

For you audiophiles - check out the back seat setup....

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/111_1155?full=1

If you can solve the window crank clearance, you can look at shallow mount speakers. They are generally a bit more expensive, but usually have a mounting depth of under 2 inches.

For example:

Infinity Reference Shallow Mount 6.5"

I haven't pulled the interior door panels off before, so I don't know how much depth you will have to work with, but these might be worth a look.

-gnubbs

get a crutchfield catalog if you haven't. they should have enough shallow mount and spacers to get what you want and clean.

i'm thinking of this for the back seat:

Available for ‘64½ to ‘69 Mustang

Add some bottom end and power to your system with our NEW custom bass speaker panel. This panel comes equipped with two Custom Autosound 8†subwoofers and the Boss 400 watt amp. Panel mounts to the back of the rear seat through the trunk. All cables & wires needed are included for quick and easy install!

BSD-MS-65/9 $229.95 each

pic looks pretty cool, can't get it to post though

Thanx Zach. I know all about crutchfield as I just bought a tv from them. I know all aobut speakers and things, The problem is going to be keeping the stock length handle with some 6 1/2's. I thought for sure someone would have made a handle thats spaced out further from the panel by now. Oh well guess Ill use the kickpanels and soem 5 1/4 and add a 10 in the trunk. Also Ive seen those rear seat panels. Do they replace the rear seat? If I were you, Id get them blank and add some better audio equipment. If you want some cheap but GOOD suggestions, hit me up.

Im going to see if I can fit some 6 1/2" speakers in the bottom part of my doors on my 69 mach1. First thing I noticed is that the window crank would hit the speaker grill if I put the in there. Do they make any that stick out further to clear a speaker?

You can try one of these... They're very shallow & look interesting.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/4

Probably not the best solution but I'll throw it out there anyway. In order to install the Shelby roll bar panels into the 68-70 convertibles Shelby made a crank extension post to push the handle out further. Granted the panel itself was also pushed out but with these you could make a sleeve or spacer of sorts to go behind your handle and give it a finshed look, I imagine that's what a custom spaced out handle would have to look like anyway.

I'm pretty sure they are sold seperatley but I didn't have time to look, they are pictured in the bottom right corner of this full kit though.

yhst-13525187779972_2109_24102845

The only other solution I can think of is maybe it's time to consider an electric window conversion and delete the crank completely.

FWIW, You don't have to change out your window cranks or compromise on the door speakers. Look up the 5x7 and 6x8 (not 6x9) speakers, and find ones with a shallower depth. I used Polk 6x8s, mounted into the front part of the door (where the PO had already hacked a giant hole, so I had to rivet a new metal plate in place). The 6x8's larger surface area (as compared to 6.5 round) should make up from some loss of bass from the shorter throw of the cone. And mine fit nicely behind my Deluxe door panels with stock grills, with no clearance issues on the window cranks. If you already have 6x9s in the back, this combo should give you a nice front stage-rear fill for mid-bass all the way up. Add a 10" sub in the back and you would have a decent system. Cheers!