Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Coupe Restomod

Not really "project" material, but added new battery cables and KYB Excel-G's (GR2's) today. They are a great improvement in comfort over my old Gas-Adjust shocks. Since I don't go to the track I'm very happy with the results.

I couldn't pass it up. After debating all month with the CJ year end sale I popped on the Borgeson conversion. I won't get at it for a bit, but $200 off was just too good to pass up. I'll be sure to post my progress...and pain.

I couldn't pass it up. After debating all month with the CJ year end sale I popped on the Borgeson conversion. I won't get at it for a bit, but $200 off was just too good to pass up. I'll be sure to post my progress...and pain.

Be careful! Didn't someone on here have tuns of issues with the Borgeson and could never get it to track right or return to center correctly??

Yeah, I remember that. But there are also a bunch of positive reviews. My system continues to leak, despite rebuilds (plus it now needs a new pump and pulley) and is so damn over pressurized. Even with all my suspension/steering upgrades I don't like driving it far, especially at higher speeds. The $200 price drop was too good to pass up. Hopefully, I won't have any of those other issues.

I've got a Borgeson unit in mine and it works very well. I wish the hoses lined up better, but it's nothing I'll gripe about.

As for returning to center, my steering wheel doesn't spin back to center like my 2001 truck, but I haven't had any issues getting back in a straight line after a corner. I haven't hot rodded any yet since I'm still getting used to driving the car again :devil2:

I decided to finally finish my stereo system. I had prewired the car when I did the interior. I have the center speaker split off to also power the front side speakers. I bought the upgraded dual-voice center speaker and I have always been pleased with it. With the front speakers so low in the foot well it is nice to have the center speaker to hear the vocals clearly.

The front speaker pods fit nicely, but the driver's side prevents use of the e-brake. I'm glad I have an automatic so use of the e-brake isn't as necessary as it could be with a manual. The rear speakers fit just fine as well and and sound fine. I can tell they want a bit more power to them, but I don't plan on having things turned up that much anyways.

I'm including pictures of the speakers so you all can see the model numbers and get these off amazon or someplace else. The fronts are 4" and are fairly shallow, which is why I went with them. The rears are the same ones NPD advertises fit with the package tray pods, but they charge over $100 more for the same speakers than what I paid for them on amazon. I think I spent about $75 for both sets of speakers and as a prime member shipping was free.

Nice job on the audio. I have a set of those same pods with very similar speakers lying on a shelf because they don't work well at all with a manual transmission. Not only do they make engaging the parking brake nearly inpossible, they also don't leave much room for your clutch foot when shifting. They also impede access to the floor mounted high beam switch.

As some of you know I've had some alignment issues. My lower control arm bushings went bad as well as some play in my ball joints. I planned on just replacing the required parts but started looking at upgrading at the same time. I was leaning towards opentracker's stuff and then migrated towards streetortrack. After much back and forth I ordered the streetortrack coilover system. This was on my list of future upgrades, but not a necessity. I'm trading upgrading to a 4V system to do this for now. While I have the front suspension apart I'm also going to install my Borgeson unit. I can't wait to get started on all this!

Nice job on the audio. I have a set of those same pods with very similar speakers lying on a shelf because they don't work well at all with a manual transmission. Not only do they make engaging the parking brake nearly inpossible, they also don't leave much room for your clutch foot when shifting. They also impede access to the floor mounted high beam switch.

I have to agree with you. The front pods would not be good for a manual transmission. Like I said earlier, having a quality speaker in the center dash makes a big difference. While having the floor speakers is nice, I'd pick the center speaker over them. I also ended up fading the system just a bit towards the front as the rear speakers were really overwhelming the front.

As some of you know I've had some alignment issues. My lower control arm bushings went bad as well as some play in my ball joints. I planned on just replacing the required parts but started looking at upgrading at the same time. I was leaning towards opentracker's stuff and then migrated towards streetortrack. After much back and forth I ordered the streetortrack coilover system. This was on my list of future upgrades, but not a necessity. I'm trading upgrading to a 4V system to do this for now. While I have the front suspension apart I'm also going to install my Borgeson unit. I can't wait to get started on all this!

im so close on ordering the street or track setup...... i just need to pull the trigger!! looking at the TCP manual kit tho... cant wait to see the pics of your un-boxing and install !!:punk:

im so close on ordering the street or track setup...... i just need to pull the trigger!! looking at the TCP manual kit tho... cant wait to see the pics of your un-boxing and install !!:punk:

You can't go wrong with the Street or Track setup, using Bilsteins!

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Front-Coilover-System-pr-24491.html

2ro2afk.jpg

what's the benefit of the coil over besides the ability to adjust the ride height? i'm not well read on the various systems.

You can read their claims here: http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Front-Coilover-System-pr-24491.html

To be honest, it is way more than I really need considering my use of the car. Just new bushings would be fine. But I have done a bunch of reading on the coilovers and also talked with the owner, Shaun, and I'm convinced the ride will be far superior to anything that can be done to the conventional system. Not saying you can't do some good things to the stock system, but it does have limitations. Since the money to improve the stock system with high quality components, shocks, etc gets close to the coilover cost I just decided to go for it. Necessary, certainly not...but one of those things I've always wanted to do and the opportunity presented itself.

I talked to several folks and read a million threads before making my decision. I also went back and forth with John at opentracker and Shaun at streetortrack. For the money, I just don't think you can beat the setup. I also added the Baer Tracker outer tie rods which are adjustable for bumpsteer. Have you talked to anyone and told them how you plan to use your car? You'll get some honest answers back.

I'll be sure to post some pictures.

yeah .. im sold on the street or track coil over system, im just trying to plan out the new forged spindles from street or track and the move to drum spindles from factory discs so i can get in some larger aftermarket brakes up front.. gonna have a lot of money up front with the big brakes, coil overs, and tcp rack.... good stuff tho!!

yeah .. im sold on the street or track coil over system, im just trying to plan out the new forged spindles from street or track and the move to drum spindles from factory discs so i can get in some larger aftermarket brakes up front.. gonna have a lot of money up front with the big brakes, coil overs, and tcp rack.... good stuff tho!!

Funny, I was looking at their brake systems as well. Even though the factory stuff works well, you can never have enough brake! I think I'm going to go with something that'll work with 15" rims. I was also looking at their rear end systems as well since they come with disc brakes. But I'm going to hold out on that because they are developing a coilover for the rear. I want to see how it all goes together before I pull the trigger on any of that.

Here's a pic of the new coilovers from streetortrack and the Baer bumpsteer tie rods. Makes the stock discs look terrible. Someday I'll have to take the time to get those cleaned up. The instructions were excellent and so are the components.

Everything is tied into brand new Moog steering components and I also installed the Borgeson system. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet. I'm having an issue with one of the power steering fittings not seating correctly, so I'm getting a leak. I ended up having to add an extension to the pressure hose because the supplied hose was too short. For the money, you'd think they could add an inch or two of hose to make things fit properly! Not like I'm the first to complain about the hoses.

Here's a pic of the new coilovers from streetortrack and the Baer bumpsteer tie rods. Makes the stock discs look terrible. Someday I'll have to take the time to get those cleaned up. The instructions were excellent and so are the components.

Everything is tied into brand new Moog steering components and I also installed the Borgeson system. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet. I'm having an issue with one of the power steering fittings not seating correctly, so I'm getting a leak. I ended up having to add an extension to the pressure hose because the supplied hose was too short. For the money, you'd think they could add an inch or two of hose to make things fit properly! Not like I'm the first to complain about the hoses.

looking good!! i ordered the forged spindles this weekend... brakes in a few weeks, then SOT a bit after that...

TOO COOL!

What weight springs did you install?

TOO COOL!

What weight springs did you install?

I forget what he told me. These are for the street version. I think they use different rates for the track versions. They also calibrate the shock for each system.

shouldn't the brakes be on the front side? or is it system dependant? or are mine on the wrong side?

I have no idea. Mine have always looked like this.