Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Coupe Restomod

Yep, those are the type of clips I'm talking about. The '69 clips apparently are longer than anything that is currently available on the market. I even went to a place that has an entire wall of clips and they didn't have one that would work.

I installed new a/c vacuum lines behind the dash today and into the engine bay. Now everything in the engine is done except for my replacement alternator which should be back this week. I'm hoping to get to work on the new radio tomorrow now that I can start reassembling the dash.

I attempted to install a new ignition switch but the cam that the key cylinder goes into is rotated 45 degrees too far to the left. I'm so sick of repro parts not being made properly, not to mention wasting money. Hopefully I'll get a proper response on Monday.

Relating to the rear window molding clips; what do you think of using the 2 I have in the center and 2 of the shorter '68 clips on the outside, closer to the attaching screws? Do you think it will be secure enough this way?

Are there any local restoration shops around you? They might know where to get the exact clips. And if they don't, I think you can use the shorter style clips. Besides, that top molding goes under the side moldings which are screwed into the body. I think you will be ok going the route you are thinking of.

I thought I'd be able to install the radio today but ran across an issue with the bezel. I'm installing a Custom Autosound USA-630 model. As you can see from the pictures compared to the original AM radio it leaves a big gap all around. I thought the whole point of these radios was to not have those issues. Maybe I'm missing a bezel piece or something. I don't know but I'm going to call them tomorrow to see it they have any suggestions.

I also disovered a mistake. All my windows need adjusting. Not a big deal except I didn't check prior to installing the sound deadener and the interior. Now I have to remove everything. It just didn't occur to me to check the windows, but the doors got properly aligned at the body shop which changed the window fitment. The windows have been down the entire time because I never had any weatherstripping installed so I didn't want the windows banging against the door frame.

You are missing a trim ring for that radio, at least you should be. The original Kenwood models that CAS knocked off had a different bezel for each model depending on the year to make it fit the different bezels, it usually says Mustang at the top.

LM-630.jpg

That's what I figured as well. I called CAS and they are sending out the bezels. In the mean time I hooked everything up and the dual-voice speaker I'm going to use for now. I am highly impressed with the sound. I know its not a fancy pioneer system, but the sound is good for such a small speaker setup. The bass, treble and volume sound pretty good turned up high as well. Sure beats the dual cone speaker I had before with my USA-1 radio (that I rigged to fit from my old '66). I also prewired the car for rear speakers and kick panel speakers.

I did the dual voice upgrade under the dash as well, I really can't wait to see how the speakers in the headrest sound though. I rewired the back for the old speakers that sit on the seat as well but I don't think I'll need them that often so I put quick disconnect bullets on the ends this time.

I attempted to install a new ignition switch but the cam that the key cylinder goes into is rotated 45 degrees too far to the left. I'm so sick of repro parts not being made properly, not to mention wasting money. Hopefully I'll get a proper response on Monday.

did you get this issue worked out? i had received a new switch and key cylinders and had struggled to figure out out to install it. i finally figured it out. i had originally thought something was wrong with the switch as well but it was something stupid.

did you get this issue worked out? i had received a new switch and key cylinders and had struggled to figure out out to install it. i finally figured it out. i had originally thought something was wrong with the switch as well but it was something stupid.

I sent it back for exchange. The new one should be here tomorrow or Monday. Hopefully all will go well.

I remember you wanted these wheels. CJ's having a special

http://www.cjponyparts.com/vintage-wheel-works-wheel-17%22x8%22-vintage-48-1965-1973/p/W158/

also, any luck taking pic's of those window channels?

I saw that as well. But I think I've changed my mind to the satin black minilites. And I totally spaced about the pictures. I'll be sure to get them done tomorrow. Sorry.

What size are you going with? Those will compliment the car very well in satin.

I'm going to get 16x8. I may get only 7 inches up front. I have 15x7s right now and I like the way the front looks and handles. But I'll certainly get 16x8 in the rear, probably 225 tires in front and 245 in the rear.

I did some work today. I've had to mess with a mechanical oil gauge to make sure I had good pressure, which I do. My dash gauge only goes to the inner line. I completed the interior. I installed the USA-630 radio and it works great. I also got my clock back and it is in great shape and now running on quartz movement! At some point in the future I need to replace the dash and some trim pieces, but its good for now.

The big suck today was with the windows. I was adjusting the passenger window and just as I finished I was sitting in the car rolling it up when I heard a big THUNK! I looked over and the window was sitting at an angle. The darn rear guide came unglued. UGH! I messed with this about 20 years ago and I have no desire to do it again. I'm going to take the car to the interior shop that did my headliner and have them reglue all the windows and get them aligned. I simply do not want to mess with it.

I got my hands on some OEM drip rail moldings and had them polished up. Now I need to know if they go on before the boomerang molding or after. I just can't figure it out.

I also need to know how to attach my rocker moldings. The clips I got from NPD didn't include the very front part either. Do I install the rivets and then slide the clips on? I'm also not sure of the orientation of the clips. Here's a picture.

My replacement ignition switch arrived today and it works correctly! Yay for the little things. I also installed the front spoiler. I can't wait to get some proper pics now. I also installed the top rear window trim. I used 2 '69 clips in the middle and 2 '68 clips on the outside. It seems to work since the screws everything in place. I'll just keep my eyes out for 2 more '69 clips in the future.

On the bad side I discovered my gas gauge isn't working. I'm guessing its the fuel sender since the gauge worked before. I'm sure the sender got beat up with the fuel tank getting pulled and then cleaned out.

If anyone can offer any assistance to the rocker molding question above I'd appreciate it. I just can't figure out which way the darn clip should go.

Jayru,

Here are some pics of the channels. I tried to take pictures where there are issues with them. The would need to be cleaned to get rid of the foam on the back and then polished.

Thanks for posting those. Think I'm going to shop around for a set in a bit better shape. Mine are actually in better shape except for the one section of kinks on the DS.

I wonder if it could be fixed by a trim shop?

Anyhoo, thanks again for the offer!

No problem. That is why I looked for another set as well.

I use an aluminum polisher guy in town that makes things look like new for very cheap. He said he can work out small imperfections as well. Maybe there is such a person around your place.

Of course you pay for the man hours but almost any type of stainless trim is savable unless it has tears or holes in it. You would be surprised how with a lot of paitence and a brass dolly chisel and hammer and a bag filled with buck shot how you can work it smooth and polish it like new. Problem these days is most would rather go with a repro and deal with fitment issues instead.

Dead on Pak. I wish I'd learned that leason a little earlier. Being my first resto I got rid of some pieces I thought were trashed only later to realize I could have salvaged them. I have ended up finding some OEM parts and using them. Lessons learned...and paid for!

I still haven't installed my rocker moldings. I haven't received any answers to my post about the clips so I'm not sure if what I think is the correct way to install them is actually correct.

I have installed the front spoiler, finished the drip rail moldings and rear window moldings. I have two '69 clips and two '68 clips holding on the top strip. I don't think the '68 clips are doing much, but they are closest to the screws so who knows. It looks fine though.

I can't remember if I mentioned already, it looks like I still have a grounding issue with my gauges. Sooooo frustrating!!! Now I have to tear it all apart again. It wasn't noticeable until I took it for a spin around the block. I can bang on the dash and it goes away for a bit.