Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Kiss

Repro rim blow steering wheel?

Does anyone know who sells these?

Can anyone with an original comment on the quality of the repro?

These photos are from an eBay auction in Australia; the guy wants a small fortune for the wheel (US$1400).

They're probably made in China so can't be worth anywhere near that price.

ReproRimBlow_1.jpg

ReproRimBlow_2.jpg

ReproRimBlow_3.jpg

ReproRimBlow_4.jpg

Having just gone through the process of hunting and purchasing a restored wheel I am quite certain that these are not yet reproduced. However if and when they ever do get reproduced and if these originate from China I would not want to be in the first wave of buyers. One thing I’ve learned the hard way during my restoration is that a hefty proportion of the Asian made reproduction pieces are crap. I’m sure no surprise to the members here who have completed resto projects.

Regards,

T.

There is a guy in OZ that restores these, not sure if it is the same. He is well known on the Boss302 forum.

What is the Ebay item number for this wheel.

eBay ID is gtmuscleparts in Sydney, Australia.

There's also a shop in Sydney that's been around since the 1970's called Ford Muscle Parts. I'll bet the same person is behind both.

I think I saw a couple up at the Columubs Spring Swap in Bill Herndon's booth in a display box. (maybe someone else can confirm this).

They looked nice glancing at them. I don't recall any price.

I've definitely seen them run less than $800 for a restore (assuming you have a restorable wheel to begin with!)

I would think the price would have to drop lower than $1200 when they finally hit the market in full.

I put an NOS wheel in my Boss 302 and in the pic I have attached it looks lighter than it really is. If that is a new repo wheel that has come out. I think it looks pretty nice. No offense meant for those who restore these wheels, but i have not seen one done that is correct in grain or color or chrome trim. I'd rather find another NOS one and those are fewer everyday. Hopefully the cost will come down.

DSC00461.jpg

Actually I hate to admit it, I bought it really cheap about 3 years ago off ebay. the guy listed as a Ford steering wheel. There was one other bidder besides me. I got it for less than $600.00, so I was lucky!