Sign in to follow this  
Angel

Look at what I found in my oil pan!

Scat makes good stuff. I know that Jim Woods from fordstrokers really likes Scat parts. He finds too many inconsistencies with Eagle parts. Eagle makes nice stuff but your machinist has to be on his toes to make sure they are within spec from what I've heard. You may want to contact Jim about putting together a short block for you. From the sounds of things you dont plan on running much cam; a 20cc-25cc dish will put you in the 10.1-9.6 range (dont forget another 2cc's for your ring lands). Jim can set you up with a quality product if you dont plan on doing the work yourself.

Scat makes good stuff. I know that Jim Woods from fordstrokers really likes Scat parts. He finds too many inconsistencies with Eagle parts. Eagle makes nice stuff but your machinist has to be on his toes to make sure they are within spec from what I've heard. You may want to contact Jim about putting together a short block for you. From the sounds of things you dont plan on running much cam; a 20cc-25cc dish will put you in the 10.1-9.6 range (dont forget another 2cc's for your ring lands). Jim can set you up with a quality product if you dont plan on doing the work yourself.

X2

I had a back surgery 2 months ago and cant even bend over yet so I have Jim building me a 347 Big Bore For the 70

He is first rate and will answer every question

Thanks for the replies guys. You're right Buckeye, I'll have the block machined before I choose the kit. I first have to see if the cylinders will clean up @.030". The engine was running fine before my timing incident and was not heating up what so ever so I think the block will be relatively square. I'm probably wrong though. And I should have stated that by "flat tops" I meant with valve reliefs. So yeah I definitely won't be running a true flat top. Sorry about that.

The cost difference between a 393 and a 408 is not very significant. I actually wanted to build a 377. 1952, the reason why Im choosing to do a 408 is because the pistons used for a 408 are usually lighter than the pistons used for a 377 or 393. That's what I've been told, but now that I'm doing the research I'm having trouble finding numbers to support this. So I could be wrong.

I would like to have a compression between 9.5-10.0. That's the range I'm shooting for. I think with that CR I will have to use premium gas. 6T9, thanks for that comment about Eagle products. I was actually wondering about their kits but after reading what you said, I'll be going with scat. I will assemble it myself.

"you should be capable of 20 mpg on the highway and 16 to 17 in town even with 3.70 gears"

Gmachine, please dont play with my emotions. I get excited when I read stuff like that lol.

Edited by Angel

It seems like rocker arm selection should be pretty straight forward but I've got some questions. I know I'll be going with a full roller, 1.6 ratio arm. But I'm not sure if I should go with aluminum or stainless steel. I've read that aluminum rockers can sometimes crack from fatigue. Ideally I would go with the lightest valve train possible, but I don't want to sacrifice durability in doing so. I've read that stainless rockers will hold up to long term abuse much better than aluminum. Not surprising, but has anyone ran into problems with aluminum rockers? Also, would brand matter? What about chromemoly steel?

Edited by Angel

I have a Scat stroker kit in my 393w. I have the forged crank and H-beam rods with SRP flat top pistons. My compression ratio is around 11.5. With AFR 205 heads, solid roller cam with .620 lift/ 290 duration, and 830cfm Holley. I haven't put it on a dyno yet, but from my experience I'm estimating 550hp at the crank. Engine builder (who specializes in Ford high performance engines) thinks it should be north of 600hp. Scat says rotating assembly is safe to at least 7,500 rpm. I have shifted it at 7,000 a few times. The engine pulls hard to 7,000.

So I found a 408 kit that seem to have everything I want. Scat crank, forged rods, and reverse dome pistons that are made for the twisted wedge heads. These should get me around a 10.0:1 compression. What do you guys think? I haven't heard much about Probe pistons and I thought that only trick flow made pistons specifically for their heads. But these Probe pistons look very similar and are supposed to work. Check them out guys. The second link is for a kit with a Probe crank for like $100 cheaper, not sure if its worth it. But its actually rated at 600hp instead of Scat's 550hp rating.

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-408W-Reverse-Dome-19-4cc-Scat-Based-Kit-p/14847-sca-755-f408-1.htm

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-408W-Reverse-Dome-19-4cc-Street-Fighter-Kit-p/14847-sf-f408w.htm

Edited by Angel

Angel, definately go with the chromeoly rockers. They are lighter than the aluminum ones. Since chromeoly is stronger than aluminum less material is used to make them. I like the comp cam magnum roller rocker. They are really nice. As for Probe, they are really good. I built a 347 with a probe stroker kit. It made about 480 hp on the dyno and I also put a 150 shot of spray on it. While making about 630hp I never had a problem with it. Those rockers were on that motor.

I was actually planning on buying the ultra gold rockers because I can get the set for $200. But since I'll be using the car as a daily driver, I'm reconsidering if I want to use aluminum since according to comp cams "Aluminum, unlike steel, has no safe stress point. With aluminum, every cycle endured is one cycle closer to failure. To make things worse, the failure point of aluminum is very unpredictable. The advantage of high quality steel is that as long as it cycles at less than its maximum failure point, it can be run for virtually a lifetime without failure. Steel just doesn’t have the same cycle failure problem that aluminum has." I know they are a little more expensive but I'll probably end up going with the ultra pro magnums