Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

What mufflers - sites for sound

Hello All,

Well this is my second question. I am converting the 70 Mach to dual exhaust.

It has a 351C H with 4 barrel carb.

I have a shop that will install the exhaust for a good price.

My question is what type of muffler?

I can't seem to find samples on you tiube or anywhere.

Most of the Mustangs we hear on the net have cams etc. and they sound real great.

I would like a nice mellow tone that sounds a little loud but not so loud that I have trouble with a state inspection or the police pulling us over. (Getting to old for that ) :scared:

So I see "Turbo Mufflers" and Magnaflow 40 series etc etc.

I would like my wife to hear what the car would sound like with the exhaust.

Not ready to do this quite yet but I am hoping to do it within 2 months.

I would appreciate if anyone has sound clips of their basically stock motor with exhaust sound.

Our motor is stock and using stock manifolds. Just want to add some sound.

Thanks - sorry for the length of this post - - Print Dad

Ahh, Sound is like Beauty... its in the eye or as this case the ear of the beholder.

But sound will have a larger varing with pipe size and lenght as to its mellowness or loudness.

I have Magnaflows on the Mach with 2 1/4 complete tailpipes and it is loud.

On my 7.5 truck with a 3 in exhaust and a 36 in glasspack and its not near as loud as the Mach.

The 68 289 4V has 2 1/2 in pipes from the headers to flowmasters and a pair or 2 1/4 in tailpipes with turndown tips. It sounds like a bigblock at idle and is fairly mellow at speed, But Barks real loud if you put your foot in it.

My thoughts for what your after would be using 2 1/4 in piping with 36 in glasspacks and over the axle tail pipes with straight tips.

Mellow cruzer with a good sound when throttled hard.

I have MagnaFlows and I love it. I like you did not want the loud noise, and yes it is by preference. I had Flowmasters before on my Grande but on the convertible I went with MagnaFlows 3" pipes. It sounds good without being too lound. PM me and I can let you hear it on the phone. Take your time on the mufflers you'll be stuck with it.

i had flowmasters super 40s with dumps on my bone stock 302 it sounded nice it had and agressive sound but at regualar speeds it would baffle and howl which would irritate the hell out of me. but with the cam set up i have now im going for spin-tech super prostreet mufflers and extending them through the back to lower cabin noise.

it should sound like this, the guy is in the forums as well.

not sure if thats his youtube account but thats his car, Ive seen it n person and its beautiful as well as the sound its great!

I love the Dynomax Super Turbos, they are nice and mello, but have a good rumble. When you hit it on the road its nice and loud but does not drone in the cab...very civilized muffler till you stomp it then its all business.

Also I have a flow sheet some where with a CD that a fellow named Jim Hand I believe put together, its called silent power.

In the spreadsheet they take air flow readings of a straight pipe with no muffler and then start adding mufflers and taking flow readings. They are using a pontiac 400 as the test mule in which they are taking their flow readings off of, but Flow is Flow no matter what motor you have on it.

Anyhow the Flowmaster Mufflers are one of the Louder mufflers, and also one of hte Worst flowing mufflers, The spintechs sound and flow great, The MAgnaflows flow well nad sound nice and the super turbos flow better than all 3 of the others and sound mellower.....On a side note the Gorelick mufflers sound sick as hell.

I will put you a sound file up of hte dynomax super turbos I have on my trans am...its 455 powered with a smallish comp XE 274 CAm

Mike