Sign in to follow this  
brianrupp78

Help me pick wheels and tires

Brian, I have 275 / 60 / 15 tires on the back of my '69. I have them on 15x7 ( I had them lying around ) wheels from a '76 gran torino. They fit my car without any problems. I didn't have to modify anything. The tires I have right now are cooper cobras. LSG

My 69 coupe has 14 inch rims on it. My car is completely stock but I do think the Magnum rims look great. Whats wrong with just getting standard size Magnum rims and put on it and not try and get them so big that they rub. ...the rims still look just as good ..just not as wide. Just my opionion.

My 69 coupe has 14 inch rims on it. My car is completely stock but I do think the Magnum rims look great. Whats wrong with just getting standard size Magnum rims and put on it and not try and get them so big that they rub. ...the rims still look just as good ..just not as wide. Just my opionion.

This seems like an older thread so not sure if you ordered your tires yet or not but all these suggestions about Magnums don't seem to inquire what size rims you already had on your car and what size brakes you put on that the old ones don't fit anymore. If you had 14's then 15's may be enough but if you had 15's then your new choice obviously won't resolve the issue.

I have also upgraded to the 13" Cobra discs up front so I had to go with at least a 17" rim which is the largest I think still looks good on our cars personally. I still like the old school look too so long as it is not yet another variation of the torque thrust. I dcided on the 17" Billet version of the magnum from American racing. 17x8 up front with 4.5" BS and 245/45-17 tires and 17x9.5 out back with 6" BS and 275/40-17 tires.

This seems like an older thread so not sure if you ordered your tires yet or not but all these suggestions about Magnums don't seem to inquire what size rims you already had on your car and what size brakes you put on that the old ones don't fit anymore. If you had 14's then 15's may be enough but if you had 15's then your new choice obviously won't resolve the issue.

I have also upgraded to the 13" Cobra discs up front so I had to go with at least a 17" rim which is the largest I think still looks good on our cars personally. I still like the old school look too so long as it is not yet another variation of the torque thrust. I dcided on the 17" Billet version of the magnum from American racing. 17x8 up front with 4.5" BS and 245/45-17 tires and 17x9.5 out back with 6" BS and 275/40-17 tires.

Howdy, the candle apple red car on this thread is mine and since that photo I have sold those right out from underneath it. I'm doing some major rework, but when the car is ready I'm going to install the Flat Black C-5 staggered 17x7 and 8s. I'll post something when I get them on.

Howdy, the candle apple red car on this thread is mine and since that photo I have sold those right out from underneath it. I'm doing some major rework, but when the car is ready I'm going to install the Flat Black C-5 staggered 17x7 and 8s. I'll post something when I get them on.

If that's what you're going with, I have the same rim setup. I bought mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang for $679 for all 4 wheels with lug nuts and center caps.

http://www.laurelmountainmustangparts.com/store/196973-magnum-wheel-15x7-15x8special-p-6927.html

The wheels are made by Specialty Wheel of Oregon. I like the quality. I had issues with rubbing trying to put 235's on the front of my car. But I do have Global West Tubular upper control arms. I know there are other people that have no problems with the 235's on the front.

Interesting that the same package from Specialty Wheel is $775. http://www.specialtywheel.com/magnum-15x7-with-pony-center-caps.html

This weekend I was working on my car and remembered this post. These pictures show no upper control arm rubbing issues running 235/60 15 BFG's with 15x7 Mag 500's with 4" BS. There's about a 1/2" clearance. I'll have the fenders back on in a few weeks. They're rolled like the Boss 302's, so I doubt I'll have rubbing issues.

Brianrupp78, what did you end up going with?

Here we go... I bought the magnum 500 wheels

15x7 in the front with 15x8 in the back

BFG radial ta tires 235/60/15 in the front and 275/60/15 in the back

Nice! Did you get the deal from Laurel Mountain Mustang with centercaps and lugnuts? You're gonna love them. I get tons of comments when I'm driving my car around with the body panels just thrown on with no trim and no interior. But the new wheels and tires help out. When I bolted Magnums on to my previous 70 Mustang back in the mid 80's I got tons of comments. And the paint job was shot on that car.

Purchased Items

Part #ItemBoxStatusPriceQtyLine TotalBFG-45185RADIAL T/A P275/60R15 107SC

DShipped on

1/26/2010$96.95 2$193.90 BFG-45185RADIAL T/A P275/60R15 107SCancelled on

1/25/2010$0.00 2$0.00 BFG-54712RADIAL T/A P235/60R15 98SA

BShipped on

1/26/2010$89.95 2$179.90 BFG-54712RADIAL T/A P235/60R15 98SCancelled on

1/25/2010$0.00 2$0.00 SUM-G1955VALVE STEMS CHROME SHORT PAIRAShipped on

1/26/2010$5.95 2$11.90 SUM-G1955VALVE STEMS CHROME SHORT PAIRCancelled on

1/25/2010$0.00 2$0.00 SUM-MNTBALPSMOUNT/BALANCE SERVICE CHARGECShipped on

1/26/2010$15.00 4$60.00 WVI-2016-11EA CENTER CAPCShipped on

1/26/2010$29.95 4$119.80 WVI-2016-11EA CENTER CAPReturned on

3/11/2010$29.95 2WVI-2016-11EA CENTER CAPCancelled on

1/25/2010$0.00 4$0.00 WVI-54-5712044WHEEL 15X7A

BShipped on

1/26/2010$149.95 2$299.90 WVI-54-5712044WHEEL 15X7Cancelled on

1/25/2010$0.00 2$0.00 WVI-54-5812042WHEEL 15X8C

DShipped on

1/26/2010$159.95 2$319.90 WVI-54-5812042WHEEL 15X8Cancelled on

1/25/2010$0.00 2$0.00 NOTE - Final price total may vary on foreign orders, items shipped directly from the manufacturer, hazardous materials, or in other special circumstances—call Customer Service at 1-800-517-1035 if you have any questions.Part Total$1,125.40 Order Charges

Additional Shipping Charge $76.00

Delivery and Handling Charge $12.95

Total Charges$1,214.35

Thats what I paid for the 4 wheels and 4 tires all mounted and balanced with the nice centercaps and shipped to my door...... I didnt get the laurel mountain deal because I wanted a staggered look.... The deal at laural was a set of four 15x7.

Edited by brianrupp78

More importantly did you order a new speedo gear? I have to believe that rear set up is going to read a good 10% to slow. Actually doing 66 when you think you are doing 60 becomes dangerous territory when you are driving a hard to miss cop magnet, particulary if it's a car that can be heard before it's even seen. :shifty:

Actually I was curious about the whole speedo gear thing. How to I figure out which speedo gear I need? Also how do i figure out what kind of gears I have?

One more thing while I got you guys here Where should I get a kickdown cable from? Is there any out there cheaper than 80$?

To determine your rear end ratio with the rearend together, do this. Jack the back wheels up off the ground. Put a mark on your driveshaft near the rear U-joint, or put a mark on the pinion yoke. Put your car in neutral. Then spin one of the tires 1 full revolution. Count how many times the drive shaft spins (i.e. 3 1/2 times). 3.50 would be your gear ratio.

Wow. Love this thread guys! Particularly the pics. I have a 69, currently stripped down, and this will help me get the wheels i need for that car. Love the looks of all those above - I am green with envy!

As a related, but slightly off-topic question (1971 model), this weekend, I had a SWEET little 1971 fall into my lap on Sunday. I took title yesterday from a fantastic human who gave me a great deal on it.

To the Q, it has some great looking wheels and RIMs, but it does have a rubbing problem in front. It has some "anti-rolled" fender lips (lack of a better word) from this issue - as expected, worse when hitting bumps during a turn.

I really like the looks of it as is, and I am curious if I can put some gas shocks in to lift the car a bit, and roll the fenders to get by with it? What do you think? It seems very low strung, a bit soft, and I'm pretty sure it has old shocks which need replacement anyway to help the ride.

Air shocks are just a band-aid to the problem, not a real cure. Sounds like you want to retain the wheels on the car now, which leaves you a couple options. You can raise the car's suspension by swapping springs, or you can change the size of the tires you use.

Looks like a clean car!