Sign in to follow this  
brianrupp78

Help me pick wheels and tires

You know those big wide side walls with white lettering on 15" rims are so 60's-70's classic they are hard to resist. Sooooo many of us cut our teeth on hot rods with those tires back in the day. I think they actually helped soak up some of the bumps too. But they are not that great for cornering.

Hence the popularity of 17" rims on classic cars. Better cornering but may not soak up the bumps as well. It's all a matter of personal choice really. I'm going to get a set of 17"x8" front and 17"x9.5" rear number 48's for mine. Bruce

You know those big wide side walls with white lettering on 15" rims are so 60's-70's classic they are hard to resist. Sooooo many of us cut our teeth on hot rods with those tires back in the day. I think they actually helped soak up some of the bumps too. But they are not that great for cornering.

Hence the popularity of 17" rims on classic cars. Better cornering but may not soak up the bumps as well. It's all a matter of personal choice really. I'm going to get a set of 17"x8" front and 17"x9.5" rear number 48's for mine. Bruce

Done that... Personally i like those "new oldies" much more.

But like you said, it's all matter of personal choice.

I have to admit I like the look of fat tires on a 15" wheel, like you see on Trans Am race cars. But, when it came time to decide on wheel sizes for my car I chose to go with a modern size tire for better street handling. I opted to give up a bit of the vintage look, for better performance.

janike01... great looking car!!

I like the best of both worlds, I don't care for the look of modern open designs in the larger size on classics, especially if they still have drums. I love the look of a 17" Billet version of the stock designs though, the newer magnum look is especially just perfect for these cars IMHO. Most peoiple know something is different but they can't put their finger on it right off the bat, makes for a subtle but modern update.

when it came time to decide on wheel sizes for my car I chose to go with a modern size tire for better street handling. I opted to give up a bit of the vintage look, for better performance.

janike01... great looking car!!

are your wheels the Vintage Wheel Works V48s?

I've got 235/60/R15s up front on 8in rims, and this (new) car (to me) has significant rubbing issues (worsened in the last 100 mi or so I've driven it). is it the 8in RIM width up front that is bad? A sagging suspension? or ?? Several folks posting don't have any issue with this size. Perhaps it is the backspace on the RIM? Seems like this should work based on the discussions above. I can't figure out why I'm having such a bad rubbing issue. Any suggestions would help...