Sign in to follow this  
Stanger69

Lowering car

Thanks to streetking I was able to get 295/35/18s on the rear. Now, anyone have some ideas on lowering car. I have the 5 leaf shelby springs with standard eye and 1 and a half lowering block. I still need to go another 2-3 inches. Thank guys.

Edited by Stanger69

I personally would be weary of using 3" lowering blocks. I'm no engineer but I would think that would put a lot of stress on the elongated U-bolts that would be required. Keep in mind it doesn't take much to bend or sheer a U-bolt. My recommendation would be to opt for different leaf springs. You can stick with 5 leaf but go with a mid-eye spring for 1" drop or reverse-eye for an even lower drop approx. 1 1/2 " - 2".

If you are going to replace the springs and want to go that far down you may as well go with the reverse eye. I put on mid eyes and 17's and still want to go down about 1.5-2 inches in the rear

Thanks, do you have before and after pics of the car. I agree with you, I think the reverse eye is best.

A 3" block will be fine from a u-bolt/breakage perspective. You should see the lift blocks that some guys use in 4x4's.

Any kind of lowering block is going to greatly increase wheelhop. The larger the block, the more wheelhop. With a 3" block, I would think wheelhop would be horrific if no traction bars are used.

I reccomed you purchase reverse eye springs. Install them as is and run it for a season to give the springs a chance to settle. THEN install a lowering block if required. Maybe your old ones...

Another way to lower it is to use Mustang II rear springs that are slightly shorter in overall length and rear sliders. You will need to re-drill the centering pin to locate the rear end correctly.

Lay the two springs side by side and put a bolt through the front. Use a carpenter's square (or speed square) to locate the hole in the same place as the original spring. Then lay the two MII springs side by side and scribe a line to make them match. Use a center punch to mark the center of the spring and drill them out. The MII springs will need a leaf from the original springs to help stiffen them up.

Remove the rear spring shackles and replace them with a pair sliders from one of the circle track catalogs. Before you weld everything up, make sure that the slider has about 1/3rd of it's travel ahead of the spring eye and 2/3rds behind it when the weight is on the spring. The reason you want more room in back is so that it can compress without hitting the end of travel. If it's moving forward, the rear has come up off the ground and the only weight on the spring is the rear end itself (plus the wheels of course).

The reasons I went through all this trouble are that 1) not only do you get a very low ride height without resorting to lowering blocks, but 2) you also get a nice linear rate out of the springs because they won't bind like they will in a shackle and 3) you can use a traction bar like Comp Eliminators or Caltracs that won't work with mid or reverse eye springs.

Another way to lower it is to use Mustang II rear springs that are slightly shorter in overall length and rear sliders. You will need to re-drill the centering pin to locate the rear end correctly.

Lay the two springs side by side and put a bolt through the front. Use a carpenter's square (or speed square) to locate the hole in the same place as the original spring. Then lay the two MII springs side by side and scribe a line to make them match. Use a center punch to mark the center of the spring and drill them out. The MII springs will need a leaf from the original springs to help stiffen them up.

Remove the rear spring shackles and replace them with a pair sliders from one of the circle track catalogs. Before you weld everything up, make sure that the slider has about 1/3rd of it's travel ahead of the spring eye and 2/3rds behind it when the weight is on the spring. The reason you want more room in back is so that it can compress without hitting the end of travel. If it's moving forward, the rear has come up off the ground and the only weight on the spring is the rear end itself (plus the wheels of course).

The reasons I went through all this trouble are that 1) not only do you get a very low ride height without resorting to lowering blocks, but 2) you also get a nice linear rate out of the springs because they won't bind like they will in a shackle and 3) you can use a traction bar like Comp Eliminators or Caltracs that won't work with mid or reverse eye springs.