Sign in to follow this  
rmarks

Thoughts On Eldelbrock Perfromer 351 Intake?

I currently have the stock intake and a Holley 4160 carb on my 351 4V and since I need to change the manifold gaskets was thinking of getting an Eldelbrock Performer 351 to install while I had the stock intake removed. Anyone using it, is it worth it, your thoughts?

Just an FYI, if you're ever thinking of adding heads down the road get at least the performer RPM intake.

Reason being... on base performer intakes, they don't cast a lot of extra material above and below the intake ports. This is fine for stock heads, but with larger than stock heads, the ports actually become bigger than the casting of the manifold itself (I.E. no way to seal the ports)! You'll end up with a useless intake. Ask me how i know!

I only went to relatively small (over stock) GT40 heads and it rendered the performer useless. Don't know why, but edelbrock builds the RPM and up intakes with this extra needed casting.

I started with the performer but when I went with the stroked engine and trying to keep the Shaker - my options were limited. Ended up finding a

"Ford C90X aluminum intake, these were stock on 69/70 shelby GT-350's and available over the counter from Ford Muscle Parts back in the day. This is about the best flowing intake around that will keep the shaker at stock height"

Had no problems matching up to he new heads as it was ported to match

Performance wise the Performer is just barely better than the stock 4V Windsor intake. I'd either get the RPM, the Weiand Stealth, or the Torker II. The Torker II will lose a little at the bottom end, but not enough to make it unpleasant. If you decide to stroke it, the Torker will work better than either of the dual planes. The only problem with the C90X is finding one. They come up on ebay from time to time, but everyone wants a small fortune for them now.

The 351W 4V engine in my car uses the edelbrock performer and It works well. It's much lighter than the the stock intake and it's operating range is better. My car pulled 365hp and 420 ftlbs at the rear wheels the last time I dynod it. I had to use the performer due to wanting a shaker hood scoop and it's approximately the same hieght as a stock intake with a one inch spacer. I recommend it for a street car.

Like others have said the Performer is basically an aluminum version of the stock iron intake. The weight savings is about the only gain you will get from it. If you plan on any performance upgrades in the future (headers, mild cam, etc.) it would be worth it to go with the Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth.