Sign in to follow this  
69cobraman

Headl lights

The easiest way would probably be swap in a 1970 setup; at least the harness and maybe the switch(?) You'd have to find a 5-1/4" hi/lo bulb to fit the smaller 69 bucket.

I agree with Mike65, though, stick with the 4 lights and go with a hood scoop for fresh air.:shifty:

Hello,

Have you tried removing the highbeam only headlights (inner) and not using the plug connection for them?

You would still have High/Low beam on the outside headlights.

I think....

Marc Cramer

If you disconnect the high beams you will only have the low beams that work.

The 69's have a 4 light system 2 low and 2 high and the 70's have 2 lights with Low/High beams combined.

Finding a pair of low/high bulbs that will fit in the outter buckets will be next to impossable.

69Cobraman. Some of these guys are just uptight about the looks of their cars. Sounds like you want to put together a runner. If you disconnect the pigtails from the inner grill lights your outer lights should work fine. Just as if the inboard ones had burned out. The outer bulbs also have a high beam filament so that's not a worry. The only problem you'll find is cutting into the radiator support and carving up the grill. If you have a nice original grill keep it and buy a repop.

If you disconnect the high beams you will only have the low beams that work.

The 69's have a 4 light system 2 low and 2 high and the 70's have 2 lights with Low/High beams combined.

Finding a pair of low/high bulbs that will fit in the outter buckets will be next to impossable.

Ok...

I'm using hella headlights from a bmw that has the kind where you just replace the bulb and not the whole unit so I didn't think it would be that difficult to replace the headlight itself.

Here's a link to what I was talking about

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?nval=1101002824&statenval=1101002824&productId=2021584&skuId=572207&shopid=100001&pageid=13&TID=0720&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-574299&zmam=73771597&zmas=21&zmac=128&zmap=574299#

Marc

Well using those lights for a replacement on the outters would give you the low/high headlights.

The next step is cutting the rad support to allow tubing to the aircleaner.

Space and size is limited in some(my Mach1 with air is one) getting by the battery and accessories could be a problem.

To 69cobraman, no offense taken. And I remember those trans-am cars, Just most of them have very limited to no extras under the hood to deal with clearence wise.

i took out the inner lights over a year ago simply because i didnt want my car to look like all the other 69s out there. the outer headlights are dual filament bulbs. thats why they have 3 prongs(one for low, one for high, one for ground) instead of only two. im actually surprised a lot of the veterans didnt already know that.:huh:

Edited by Angel

The damn headlights are so dim on my 69, I drive everywhere with all 4 blazing. Taking out the two inside ones will make it impossible to drive safely at night!

But the intake idea and picture are cool. Could you route the tubes to the outside headlight buckets? Then you could use the 70 mustang front end with the hi/lo beam lights moved to the inside?

BTY, I dont think you are butchering your car, at least you are trying to put it back on the road!

dmac, I know exactly what you mean. There is several places to find replacement beams. Cramer had one above and here is another one. www.racinglab.com/headsealbeam.html. The lightning isn't much from the factory.

Those are really nice! I hate the look of the Tri-Bars, it's nice to know the diamond style exists. I'll definitely be going with those when the time comes. Thanks!

Any one have a pic of a stang with the diamond ones installed?

Here's mine,

Not sure of the lights make but same as Diamond I think. Glass lens and plastic body.

I have relay's on both high and low beams as well as the horn.

Also I have HID lights installed on high and low beams, in total there are 4 ballasts which are almost hidden.

Light output is amazing. Color is 6000K

The outside lights are high and low just like original.

69scjfront-2.jpg

Edited by Kiwi John

Here's mine,

Not sure of the lights make but same as Diamond I think. Glass lens and plastic body.

I have relay's on both high and low beams as well as the horn.

Also I have HID lights installed on high and low beams, in total there are 4 ballasts which are almost hidden.

Light output is amazing. Color is 6000K

The outside lights are high and low just like original.

kiwi john - looks great! - can you post more info on the headlight wiring layout and part numbers? do yo have a post somewhere with it? trying to review the 2 million different types of bulbs available.....again those look really good....:biggrin: