Sign in to follow this  
Moteaux

Deadbeat or not???

Near the end of July, I contacted and placed an order with an engine builder. We discussed what I was looking for in an engine and he seemed to really understand and offered a decent price. We emailed a couple of times and then talked a few times and I decided to use his shop. He sent me a detailed list of how the engine would be built and we spoke on the phone and I paid in full (maybe a big mistake?). I was told to allow approximately 6 weeks. No problem for me as I am gone quite a lot and this would work out great.

At 5 1/2 weeks, I emailed and they told me 2 more weeks. At 2 more weeks, I was told next week. This same thing has continued repeatedly and now we are at 12 weeks plus. Last Friday I was told it would go out Wednesday or so. Yesterday, I emailed and the secretary replied and said she would find out what was going on and reply today. I sent 2 emails today with out any response to my requests for ETA on completion. I called the credit card company and they said they would dispute the charges, but I told them to wait until the first of next week.

My dilemna is if I start the dispute process, maybe I will not get either my engine or money back. Am really not sure what to do. Do I keep waiting on the engine builder, or go ahead with dispute process??? If I performed in my job this way, I would be out of work right now. :censored:

The fact that they are returning your calls should give you some hope. True deadbeats ignore you or disappear altogether. I would stop the e-mails and use the phone. I would politely but firmly ask what the reason for the delay is. It may be a reasonable (or at least understandable). Plus, if you're polite up front, they'll be more inclined to work it out. If they still dodge the issue, then get aggressive. My 2 cents...

Raven,

They have answered the phone during business hours when I have called, so they havent disappeared. Maybe deadbeat wasnt the correct term. I have relied on email a bit more heavily since I travel a lot for work internationally and within the US. Most of the time during this build, I have been out of the country on a 12 hour time difference. At first emails were answere regularly and promptly, now not promptly at all and by far less regularly. I have maintained the email stream also to have a form of paper trail documenting my efforts.

I think I will begin to call, then after the phone call, send a confirmation email of the details of the call. I have never been rude or impolite yet, but as this prolongs, my demeanor and tone has become a bit more brusque. I feel like I am past the point of being polite. I have done that the last 4 weeks and just trying to decide if this is the time be agressive. Or offer up one last week for them to get this straightened out then ramp up my efforts.

Pack you bags and go see 'em face to face. Sit down and remind the guy you held your part of the bargin and he needs to s _ _ t or get off the pot. Don't leave with out the money or the engine. if you can't go hire some one to represent you, but get 'er done!

In the mean time tell the sec. to tell the boss you just filed a dispute! Do you really trust them to do the right thing now ( warranty the build) please!!! Give me a break here, they got you pegged and you need to brake the strangle hold that they have on you, sooner the better!

Edited by d.reese

We've all been there, as you say paying in full was your big mistake. it sounds like a typical case of being put on the back burner but you're not going to get hosed I bet.

Just stay after them and don't become a total jerk about it, all that's going to do is make them slap something together to shut you up and they won't worry about quality because they figure you're a lost one anyway. for what it's worth if yours was the only engine they had to work on that would probably mean they suck, fixing old cars are a slow process so just keep after it.

I just had a phone conversation with the builder. He has told me that he has now declined 2 blocks to use for my build and is working on the 3rd and assures me that it will be ready next week and everything that I have asked for and more.

At least I got more information that just, "maybe next week" and maybe I am just being told all the right things to appease me, but I am waiting another week. :whistling:

He has told me that he has now declined 2 blocks to use for my build and is working on the 3rd and assures me that it will be ready next week and everything that I have asked for and more.

are we talking about a re-manufactured engine or an engine built from new parts?

I agree with D. Reese in that you really need to take the time to go talk face to face. Paying 100% up front is bad in virtually any business situation. However, stay firm but polite as they could get sloppy getting your engine out the door if you tick them off.

Unfortuantely this in not unusual in the engine re-building world. When they say something will take a "week" they really mean "month". I think that's why crate engines have become so popular.

When I had my engine built by one of the Engine Master's top 10, I paid 1/2 down on his estimate, and was initially told he would have my engine done in three to four weeks. It was closer to 4 months and it went over budget (scope creep on my part), so I really only gave them 1/3 down. I was walking a fine line between keeping the pressure on and just outright pi$$ing them off. Some things he did were outstanding, some things he did without my consent (bronze dizzy gear when I supplied a steel one). Within days of installing the engine the rear main was spraying oil everywhere. He replaced it without charge, but I had to pull the engine out and bring it back to his shop. The power is incredible, but if I had to do it over again, I would get a genuine Ford crate engine.

In the future communications, make sure you tell the guy you appreciate him doing a consciencious job. (If the delays were mostly in finding a proper block, i'd cut him major slack. It seems like he's doing a job worth doing right, rather than hamming a thing together.)

Don't be afraid to tell him you're getting anxious. That takes the pressure off of him to 'just get it done'. When you put a mechanic in that position, it's your fault when the engine blows at 6K. (miles.) If you laid the groundwork for the build so that both parties understand what is to be done, you can avoid the unpleasantness. Yeah, you're not supposed to be happy with the delay, but I'd rather have a good plant on a bad schedule than a POS right on time.

The good part is that when you've paid 100%-you won't be running into Golden Time. The guy is probably losing money hand over fist in getting you what you want.

That's too bad, at this point it's safe to say the nice guy route isn't going to work so you have nothing to lose. if it were me I'd probably go there and ask for my money back, at which point they'll tell you they have already bought the parts, so I'd say give me the parts and a price list and I'll take what's left over in cash . it won't be that easy but it's a place to start.

At least you got on the CC dispute now. When I got screwed over by JMC Motorsports it was too late to dispute the charge.

From my understanding, when you dispute a charge the CC company will get their money from the seller and get it back to you after they put significant pressure on the seller to come to an agreement.

The funds are currently now credited back in my account. I requested the refund and he told me he didnt have the funds because of buying parts etc.. etc... etc... I sent in my email trail with all the notes of the phone calls that I made to him. As I understand it, with the CC company, it is 45 days to dispute a fraudulent charge (one that I didnt make), but since I had basically entered into a financial contract to buy the engine using my credit card and he didnt deliver after 16 plus weeks, they refunded my money as I had never received the item after doing due diligence to receive it and keeping in touch regularly with the supplier.

I do plan to report him to the correct BBB and a few other things once it settles down a bit more. Right now I am feeling pretty good about everything and have began working with a somewhat local builder to build a 408 stroker for me.:biggrin:

Good for you and all of us out here in a world where most of us want honest services for our hard earned money! Not to mention the Super patience on your end! My wife would have worn my A?? out over this one, thus resulting in me most likley making a fool of my self!

ALL RIGHT!

If everything is settled - why don't you post their name so nobody else on this forum will be baited and led on as you were... Others might not be as lucky as you.

Congrats again!

Here goes.... Jim Schafer formerly of Indy Mustang and several other previous names such as Heartland Engines. Now working as DRs Engines. Stay away... stay far far away.

On a positive note, in 27 days I received my 408 from a guy just 2 hours away. Pics attached.

Thanks.... There were alot of nods in favor of using the guy ended up with. He was a bit pricey, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. He has quite a good reputation in the regional drag race and circle track groups.

Hey, we went from want a be's in circle track racing to wining, when we figured out cheap was more exspensive in the long run. The cheap stuff might last one or two nights of racing and the more exspensive stuff would get you 15 - 16!

I would trust any body who's involved at the weekly level in any type of racing. They know their buss counts on quality work every day!

Edited by d.reese

yep .. .the guy that dyno'd my motor does circle track, dirt track?, and had several 1000hp viper motors being built.... i may be going back to him for some other items.

Hey, we went from want a be's in circle track racing to wining, when we figured out cheap was more exspensive in the long run. The cheap stuff might last one or two nights of racing and the more exspensive stuff would get you 15 - 16!

I would trust any body who's involved at the weekly level in any type of racing. They know their buss counts on quality work every day!