Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

Oh...I look forward to beating them down !! A little frustration venting !!! I figured that since I have the gas tank out I may as well get it cleaned. After its steam cleaned I should probably re-seal the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good gas tank sealer ?

Not sure what they charge to clean a gas tank but I always thought it had to be shot peened and not just steamed. I would think after going thru all that and then resealing it that you would be better off just spending $100 on a new one.

Not sure what they charge to clean a gas tank but I always thought it had to be shot peened and not just steamed. I would think after going thru all that and then resealing it that you would be better off just spending $100 on a new one.

Ahhh...The place I work at does tank cleaning so its a freebie....:whistling:

Ahhh...The place I work at does tank cleaning so its a freebie....:whistling:

SWEEEEEEEEEET!:thumbup1:

In that case, I don't know much about tank sealers but I do know that POR 15 offers a kit and their reputation for rust sealers is well acclaimed so I would certainly trust using it.

Yes....Sweet indeed, until you find out that the tank is being held together with bubble gum !!! As it turns out, there ia a hole in the tank that someone plugged up with who knows what....So now a new gas tank is on order !!!! piss me off !!! AND, as if that weren't enough, I'm gonna nee a new tail light panel.....:surrender:.....Oh well...Ya gotta love this hobby !!!! On the good side, I painted the motor and the trans should be done this week. I have 2 weeks off in April that Im dedicating strictly to the car...My time line is a bit off and my budget is blown to crap but hey....It will be very nice when its done..

Edited by flight96

Well I think it's a happy accident and you are better off with a new tank anyway. Don't know if the previous one had a drain plug or not but it's handy to have on the newer ones.

The block looks great, is that Ford Corporate Blue? Could be the lighting or the camera but it looks less dark than I expected and more like the earlier blue.

It didn't have the drain plug. It looks like it was replaced at some point. It had the usual '69 stang' written on it in yellow paint pen...The kind the wrecking yards like to use.

And yes Pak, I believe your right....It's probably a good thing to get a new tank and sending unit.

As for the blue, I thought it looked a little light as well, however it darkened up a bit after it dried. The pics were taken as soon as I sprayed it.

As for the car, I started back on the LH 1/4 panel and tail light panel. I fixed the rust on the piece that the 1/4 and tail light panel meet up to. I am replacing the rear springs and shocks so I have decided to do that while I have it all open. So starting tonight I am hoping to get that job started. Any advice on this ???? Anything I should be aware of ?????

I will post pics when I have them.

Getting serious now... :shifty:... I have the new leaf spring and shock in on the drivers side. I have the frame rail all stripped, etch primed and painted. And I have the LH trunk floor welded in.

I also have the clamshells in place and I hung the 1/4 panel just to check the fit. It seems to be OK, there are a few minor issues. The 1/4 skins ya buy are actually for a coup so there is some mods that need to be done. But all things considered the parts all seem to fit together nicely.

I hope to have it all welded up tomorrow. I also hope to have the valve covers on the motor tomorrow.

Getting serious now... :shifty:... I have the new leaf spring and shock in on the drivers side. I have the frame rail all stripped, etch primed and painted. And I have the LH trunk floor welded in.

I also have the clamshells in place and I hung the 1/4 panel just to check the fit. It seems to be OK, there are a few minor issues. The 1/4 skins ya buy are actually for a coup so there is some mods that need to be done. But all things considered the parts all seem to fit together nicely.

I hope to have it all welded up tomorrow. I also hope to have the valve covers on the motor tomorrow.

And I had a visitor at the shop today...A Peacock !!! How weird is that !!

Maybe NBC is secretly documenting your restoration?!??!?! Better keep the obseneties to a minimum during the frustrating times just in case, it's annoying to watch something that gets bleeped every other second.

And I had a visitor at the shop today...A Peacock !!! How weird is that !!

Maybe NBC is secretly documenting your restoration?!??!?! Better keep the obseneties to a minimum during the frustrating times just in case, it's annoying to watch something that gets bleeped every other second.

Well I didn't get a chance to work on the 1/4 yesterday, I thought I would get the back pan,under the back seat, fixed first. And I had to go to the family diner for an Easter feast. So todays project is the 1/4. I did get the valve covers on the engine though and Its looking great !! Can't wait to hear it run !!

Well I didn't get a chance to work on the 1/4 yesterday, I thought I would get the back pan,under the back seat, fixed first. And I had to go to the family diner for an Easter feast. So todays project is the 1/4. I did get the valve covers on the engine though and Its looking great !! Can't wait to hear it run !!

So I have the rear seat piece finished and the rocker needed a bit of rust repair, so that's all done. I finished welding the clamshells in and have now discovered a problem with the 1/4 skin. It seems that the skin I have is different !!?? The top of the panel has 3 body lines in it. My vert only has 2. Im guessing that the panel is for a coupe. The panel is a tough fit and is gonna take some manouvering. Anyone else run into this problem with 1/4 sins? My original panel only has 2 body lines ...Im confussed !!!:helpsmilie:

So I have the rear seat piece finished and the rocker needed a bit of rust repair, so that's all done. I finished welding the clamshells in and have now discovered a problem with the 1/4 skin. It seems that the skin I have is different !!?? The top of the panel has 3 body lines in it. My vert only has 2. Im guessing that the panel is for a coupe. The panel is a tough fit and is gonna take some manouvering. Anyone else run into this problem with 1/4 sins? My original panel only has 2 body lines ...Im confussed !!!:helpsmilie:

Are you sure that third line is in fact a line? Does it look to be stamped that way on purpose? I don't think anyone makes a specific coupe and vert part for this especially since no one even makes a full quarter for it like the sportsroof. Since the doors would be the same on both models I can't imagine that third line actually being on a coupe for any reason at all.

I wish I could tell you how mine was but I don't remember how it looked out of the box and when I returend the next day it was all tacked in place. I wish I had a better picture to show you but all I have is this dark one. You can see though that my body guy chose to cut the original fender below these lines when installing the new. This could very well have been one of or even the deciding factor to do it that way though and he just didn't tell me. Our goal was to keep as much of the original in tact as you can see by the door so I never questioned his judgement on how to go about it.

102_0231.sized.jpg

Are you sure that third line is in fact a line? Does it look to be stamped that way on purpose? I don't think anyone makes a specific coupe and vert part for this especially since no one even makes a full quarter for it like the sportsroof. Since the doors would be the same on both models I can't imagine that third line actually being on a coupe for any reason at all.

I wish I could tell you how mine was but I don't remember how it looked out of the box and when I returend the next day it was all tacked in place. I wish I had a better picture to show you but all I have is this dark one. You can see though that my body guy chose to cut the original fender below these lines when installing the new. This could very well have been one of or even the deciding factor to do it that way though and he just didn't tell me. Our goal was to keep as much of the original in tact as you can see by the door so I never questioned his judgement on how to go about it.

102_0231.sized.jpg