Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Towing a Mustang - Tow Dolly ok?

Howdy gents,

I need to tow my project to get some exhaust welded up and I was under the impression that a tow dolly would be just fine (stick it in Neutral and go 5 miles), but the local U-Haul guy (who represented himself as a "hot rod guy") said it would be a terrible idea to tow my coupe in this fashion.

He said it would tear up the transmission. I've pushed my car around my driveway in neutral and I don't recall seeing the drive-shaft turning, so is this guy smoking crack or does he have a point?

A tow dolly is really cheap and I don't want to go with a car trailer if I don't have to.

Thanks for your opinions/experiences, as always!

Tom

If your planning just 5 miles in the city, it shouldn't be that bad. The low speed, stop and go will not harm anything. If your heading on the highway at 60 - 65 there is a possiblity to heat your trans oil up even for that short distance. The pump is not circulating so you are heating the oil in the tranny only, and if your bands are tight it will only happen quicker (Friction), your convertor is stationary.

For the time it would take I would recommend just to unfasten your rear u-joint (index your ubolts and u-joint) and tie up your drive shaft for the short trip. If available pull your drive shaft and insert a shipping plug into the rear out put shaft of the tranny so the oil will not flow out.

Thanks for the info! That u-haul guy's stock just went up in my book. I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's about 5 miles, but it's along a Hwy, so I'd be towing along at a good 50MPH to avoid getting rear-ended, so disconnecting the drive shaft sounds like the right move.

Thanks again!

Tom

I did ours all the of 6 miles one way and no issues with it when done. I even unloaded, drove to rack when finished reloaded and back another 6 miles. Now I did not go over 30 mph and it felt like a turtle, but it all worked out fine.

Hey guyes, I own a u-haul dealership and have for the last 8 years. It would only cost you 10$ more to go ahead and rent the auto transporter and you could drive the whole vehicle on it. Also the tow dollys don't back worth a damn and are more at risk of dragging the front end. Hope this helps.

Hey guys, as an epilogue to my story, my plan now is to drive it with the open headers and damn the torpedos. I would rent a car trailer (all other things being equal), but my driveway is so steep and narrow, I wouldn't be able to turn it around once I got it up here. The tow dolly has a really short turning radius, but the other issues already discussed.

I'm just going to let the neighbors know what I've been working on.

Thanks for all your input.

Tom

What's wrong with running open headers for the first 5 miles?

Thats what I was planning to do....

Neighbors wont like me - but she will run!

Hey guys, as an epilogue to my story, my plan now is to drive it with the open headers and damn the torpedos. I would rent a car trailer (all other things being equal), but my driveway is so steep and narrow, I wouldn't be able to turn it around once I got it up here. The tow dolly has a really short turning radius, but the other issues already discussed.

I'm just going to let the neighbors know what I've been working on.

Thanks for all your input.

Tom

Just go easy on it, driving with open headers to long and to hard can burn exhaust valves, and I'm sure you don't want a zero compression engine in 5 miles. Also FWIW, I towed my 69 with everything connected using the rear wheels to roll for probably a good 15 miles, and I haven't seen any ill effects 5k miles later.