Sign in to follow this  
RogerC

69 hardtop CG

There's a way to calculate that with paper and pencil. It involves making a scale drawing in multiple views. Once you see how much your suspension "flexes" you can determine the CG. (on the Up/Down Axis.) I think the car weighs heavier in the front, so if you're looking for front/back bais-you're kinda outta luck, IIRC.

Yea, put it on a set of dirt scales at your local dirt tract shop. they can tell you rear and front percentages. Then do the math on the wheel base to percentage, should get you close.

My guess will be 58% front 42% rear?

Another way would be (if you had the sub frames tied) to use 2 floor jacks and two pc's of say 1" pipe layed in the cups of the jacks.

You could jack up both sides at the same time, moving front to rear until you got it to teater in one place. then you would know where ctr is.

Do you need to know for racing , does it matter if it has an empty or full load of fuel? That will change the ctr, along with whether you are in the car or not also.

Another way would be (if you had the sub frames tied) to use 2 floor jacks and two pc's of say 1" pipe layed in the cups of the jacks.

You could jack up both sides at the same time, moving front to rear until you got it to teater in one place. then you would know where ctr is.

Do you need to know for racing , does it matter if it has an empty or full load of fuel? That will change the ctr, along with whether you are in the car or not also.

that would be instant center not center of gravity, CG is an imaginary line that runs down the center line of the car from the side view, basically cutting the door, fender and 1/4 in half length wise and and you the plot the intersection points of the front and rear suspensions....that's not exactly right but it's close enough to give you a mental picture...sort of.

Well in my car the center of gravity is the passenger seat whilst occupied by my wife. She tells me she is the center of the universe so naturally she would also be the center of all gravity. Not sure she would like the word gravity to describe her though....

I was just interested in knowing for myself where my car started at, if someone saw it in a book or spec sheet somewhere. I've started modifying the car so it would no longer be the same and I'm not concerned about it again till I'm done.

coz,

I can relate