Sign in to follow this  
cphsonic

1969 Mustang GT2 project

The car is simply amazing. Great vision. Quick question: how did you decide on the front suspension? I am starting a similar build (with a bit lower budget) :) and didn't know which direction to go. TCI IFS, TCP, AJE...the list goes on and on. In the end, they are all pretty similar (give or take). How did you choose?

mrr1999: sorry for the very late reply! Summer holidays etc.

I wanted a strut style suspension because I race on roadcourses and wanted to save weight up front where Detroit iron has the hardest time with tyres on our short twisty local tracks. The geometry of a strut style is (theoretically) not as good as a UCA/LCA or double A-arm setup, but with hard suspensions and little travel this is VERY theoretical. At least I'm not a good enough driver to notice the difference!

Went with AJE because RRS is way too expensive due to currency conversion rates, and CPR Streetmachines that builds the car has good experiences & relations with AJE. AJE is usually associated with drag racing, but was willing to do a reinforced K-member, double adjustable A-arms etc to make a real sweet road race setup. I'll be sure to let everyone have the verdict when it sees some track time and is dialed in a little.

In the mean time, here the latest update on the build. Holidays and other stuff has been in the way but its finally getting color. Also got a little crazy on a last minute detail, a window net. :shifty: Dont give me a hard time on that, I've just always wanted one since I got to drive a real NASCAR.

th_2009_0707_072817.jpg th_2009_0707_072827.jpg

th_2009_0707_072837.jpg th_2009_0708_001644.jpg

Color is 2008 Lotus Exige British Racing Green, a really old school BRG without any metallic at all. Really fits the Mustang IMHO. This is shot b4 the clearcoat. It will get a 1/4" white pinstripe as separation between the green & black, inspired by the George Folmer Trans Am car.

th_2009_0722_Body12mmstripe.jpg th_2009_0722_body1.jpg

th_2009_0722_body2.jpg th_2009_0718_084148.jpg

Edited by cphsonic

Thanks! The taillight panel will be black in center, qtr extensions are green on the ends. Trunk lid all black. The white stripe will be a pinstriped by hand after the clear goes on.

Angel, the top (of the car) IS black? Monitor issues? :whistling:

EDIT: Oh I see, the roof looks whitish but that's just reflection off the wall behind it. That paint is SHINY!

th_2009_0722_body4.jpg th_2009_0722_body6.jpg

Edited by cphsonic

well they say black is like a mirror. maybe its the reflection of the sky that makes it look like a dark blue. but from a diff angle i can see the black. either way its beautiful

Towers done + finished removing the homemade subframe connectors as well as the old steering rack (welded tabs). Even the battery tray was welded in. That's moving to the trunk of course.

th_20080901Hansfrontendandtower003.jpg th_20080901Hansfrontendandtower004.jpg

cphsonic - what part number AJE setup did you order? what spindle/ rack did you go with?

please let me know how much modification u did th the floor , tunnel and the tranny crossmember to fit the t56 tranny and if u have pics please post them

thanks

tom

Post 82 shows a few pics of his trans tunnel mods. i too am installing a T56 - fwiw - during my research i have corresponded with individuals that have installed the T56 with adjustable motor mounts and trans mounts with no trans tunnel mods and others that have modified the trans tunnel to acquire a "acceptable" pinion angle. my goal is to mod my trans tunnel as/if needed without using adjustable motor mounts. i plan on doing some autocross later in life and have been advised to not have the trans/motor combo as the lowest center of gravity. i have been talking with modern driveline on my T56 install.

i have slown down on my build or i would offer more info.

stangme428, not sure about the p/n's, give them a call to clear that up. Not too many setups like this.

tommy, the whole tunnel was removed and redone raised - firewall to backseat. The crossbrace underneath is quite special and we needed access from above for it at one point in the build. What stangme says is what I hear too, can be done but not really right.

Here a little add on to the front spoiler, just mocked up on my other 69. The GT2 will have special mounts for it so it can be removed when I want to look more "historically correct" :shifty: I made it from an 8mm Airex foam core and 3 layers of CF. Not too pretty as its a wear part on the track.

th_2009_0731_080036.jpg th_2009_0731_080033.jpg

nice - next you'll be making a CF splitter for the rear like on the saleen extreme or S7 - i wonder what that rear valance would look like in place of the 69...:tongue_smilie:

I'm waiting for the post when you replace the satin black boss style hood with carbon fiber inlay....:scared: looks good .. keep up the great work and ideas!!!

nice - next you'll be making a CF splitter for the rear like on the saleen extreme or S7 - i wonder what that rear valance would look like in place of the 69...:tongue_smilie:

Find me pics of both at a simillar angle and you can find out.:shifty:

hmmm best i could find..

Yummy!!! Those will work fine and the color is bland enogh to be changed to anything, I'll get choppin'! I assume we want about everything from the word Saleen down tucked under the rear bumper or no rear bumper at all? Hmmmm?!?!?!?

pak i was thinking the same after looking at the 69 rear bumper for a while... maybe a bumper cover type..

Yummy!!! Those will work fine and the color is bland enogh to be changed to anything, I'll get choppin'! I assume we want about everything from the word Saleen down tucked under the rear bumper or no rear bumper at all? Hmmmm?!?!?!?

wholly crap Pak !!! you had to do that!!! install some wide tires on that and wow.... i love it! now if it can be done in reality...:punk: i had to open my mouth...

Here's another angle. If made custom with just the essence of the Saleen and not the actual part, some of this influence could make for a cool pro touring look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5256&d=1249914282