Sign in to follow this  
69again

Hood Scoop

Hello all,

My son and I are restoring a 69 302 Coupe. I have been reading many of the post on here and have found all the comments very helpful in our restoration. My question is, does anyone know if there is a template (or the placement specifications) for mounting a Mach 1 hood scoop.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Dan

I don't know why but I have never liked them and replaced mine with screen that matches the Shelby side scoops, it's like who are you telling that you are turning other than yourself, that's why there are indicators in the dash. I think it just reinforces that the scoop is fake, of course mine is set up as functional though to.

I don't know why but I have never liked them and replaced mine with screen that matches the Shelby side scoops, it's like who are you telling that you are turning other than yourself, that's why there are indicators in the dash. I think it just reinforces that the scoop is fake, of course mine is set up as functional though to.

Hey, for what it's worth, I'm in the same boat as you (69Again) doing a coupe restoration with the boy. At least that's the theory. My son is 15.5 and hasn't exactly burned the garage down with his enthusiasm to work on the car. I wonder if you're having a different experience.

Anyway, with regard to the hood, I used a pretty simple technique. Once I knew the distance from the back of the hood (which actually is easier to eyeball), I put a tiny drop of paint on the end of the studs that bolt the scoop to the hood. I then carefully placed the scoop down on the hood to transfer a little dot of paint to the hood. (It helps to have 2 sets of hands and one good set of eyeballs).

I then just drilled away where the paint dot showed the way. It turned out really great.

Tom

Hey, for what it's worth, I'm in the same boat as you (69Again) doing a coupe restoration with the boy. At least that's the theory. My son is 15.5 and hasn't exactly burned the garage down with his enthusiasm to work on the car. I wonder if you're having a different experience.

Anyway, with regard to the hood, I used a pretty simple technique. Once I knew the distance from the back of the hood (which actually is easier to eyeball), I put a tiny drop of paint on the end of the studs that bolt the scoop to the hood. I then carefully placed the scoop down on the hood to transfer a little dot of paint to the hood. (It helps to have 2 sets of hands and one good set of eyeballs).

I then just drilled away where the paint dot showed the way. It turned out really great.

Tom

Thanks for the advice on the scoop.

Tom, my son will be 16 in June. He did real well with the tear down and the engine build, but not nearly as much as I would have thought on the body work. He has a friend that stays over nearly every other weekend, and his friend could care less about the car, so when he is over I seldom see my son in the garage. I'm sure his enthusiasm will pick up when he wants to drive it.

Thanks for the advice on the scoop.

Tom, my son will be 16 in June. He did real well with the tear down and the engine build, but not nearly as much as I would have thought on the body work. He has a friend that stays over nearly every other weekend, and his friend could care less about the car, so when he is over I seldom see my son in the garage. I'm sure his enthusiasm will pick up when he wants to drive it.

Arrowhead,

Off topic, but on your 70, is there a crome trip piece that goes around the rear window or is it just the rubber molding? On the 69, with a vinyl roof, there are textured trim pieces. I wasn't planning on putting a vinyl roof back on, but I think those trim pieces won't give it the look I think I want without the vinyl. Does anyone know if you can fill in the recessed area where the trim mounts and just paint it and leave the textured pieces off? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan

Arrowhead,

Off topic, but on your 70, is there a crome trip piece that goes around the rear window or is it just the rubber molding? On the 69, with a vinyl roof, there are textured trim pieces. I wasn't planning on putting a vinyl roof back on, but I think those trim pieces won't give it the look I think I want without the vinyl. Does anyone know if you can fill in the recessed area where the trim mounts and just paint it and leave the textured pieces off? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan

Arrowhead,

Thank you,

Dan

the textured rear trims came on all 69 coupes regardless of whether it had a vinyl top or not. ford switched to regular chrome trim (i believe anodized aluminum) in 70 so i'm sure you could probably make the 70 trim work but i'm not sure what all would be involved in doing the swap, you would definitely have to fill the rear window panels and install the trim clip rivets and trim clips themselves though.

Arrowhead,

Thank you,

Dan

the textured rear trims came on all 69 coupes regardless of whether it had a vinyl top or not. ford switched to regular chrome trim (i believe anodized aluminum) in 70 so i'm sure you could probably make the 70 trim work but i'm not sure what all would be involved in doing the swap, you would definitely have to fill the rear window panels and install the trim clip rivets and trim clips themselves though.