Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trinitys

COME ON IN, DON'T BE SHY, INTRODUCE YOURSELF!!

ahh i'm sorry to hear that bro...least it doesn't keep ya from doin' what ya love. yes that paint looks strangely familiar lol....looks good so far and i'm diggin the hood. i'm thinkin about goin' w/ a 3" cowl hood w/ some chrome pins to top it all off after i get the wheels wider in back and lower it...but that's money i don't have and would love to spend....right now i'm trying to get rid of a few hobbies.

selling all my bass guitar stuff b/c i got out of the whole college rock band thing and also i have my rifles (as you can tell from my avatar) that i swear are more of a money pit than cars. take care man and once again thanks for the kind words!

hey r4k and trinitys...thanks a lot for the comments....i'm seriously on way too many forums on the net but i guarentee you this one will be one i post a lot on....not a lot of traffic however as it appears here, but hey i'll make some traffic happen! thanks again

Hi all my name is Brian, I own a 1969 mustang grande and on the side I have a 1964 falcon convertible. I was handed the cars down from my pops. The Mustang had alot of problems, and everytime I Fixed one thing another problem would occur. But Hey I think We all have been there.

I am a telecommunications major out here in Los Angeles, and on my spare time I cruise with all my other friends in our muscle cars. I enjoy this forum, there is plenty of good info to know from everyones experiences. well thats all about me.

Know some of you from around the block

Neat movie I made just for fun (probably saw it elsewhere if you know me)

http://media.putfile.com/Locomotive-Breath-89

1970 Mustang, stroked 427 FE (489 cid) Edelbrock Stage 2 heads, Ported Edelbrock RPM intake, 1000 cfm Holley, Erson solid lifters and cam, Erson roller rockers, ceramic coated Hooker Supercomps, Tremec TKO-600, 3.70's

HandsomeStallion2.jpg

BTW fantastic story on your car. Get that baby back on the road! If you let the boy grow up and finish it for you, he'll be the one having all the fun!

Ha.. good point. It's going back together this time.. slowly but surely.

Isn't going to be a hard hitter based on the current plan but should bring back some memories for me and hopefully make some for our son.

-Stephen

Well, this looks like the place for all the newbies to post.

Where to start? Well I'm single (at least for the time being.)

My car, 69 Mustang Sports Roof or Fastback which ever term fits it better. Nothing Special but I like it.

Currently I'm an avionics aircraft technician working at the Airforce base in Little Rock, Arkansas. Not my most desired place to be but thats where my job landed me.

I've only had my mustang for three weeks, picked it up in Montana while visiting family and towed it 1300 miles back to Arkansas (that was an adventure in itself). Figured If I can work on multi-million dollar aircraft, I could surely fix up a classic car (I've sinse changed my opinion on that). :confused1: To be honust I don't know alot about the michanics of cars so right now its a little confusing figuring out where to start and whats what. Most of of the mustang is solid with some minor rust on the underside and the engine runs exceptionally well. The worst parts are the passanger side floor pan and rear frame rail. The individual I purchased the car from had it stored in his garage for 15 years and did minor fixes to the body so the car is currently primer gray and faded red and has since been named the Rustang by all my friends and co-workers because of how it looks. Hope to have it at least one color or the other before too long. I've already read through alot of the forms, which has been very helpful, and am anxious to get this project going and open to any advice and help that I can get.

Welcome aboard, man, and congrats on your new purchase!

Don't feel too intimidated by your new pony. If you can work on aircraft, you'll do just fine on it. The heaviest wrenching I'd done before I got mine was an alternator replacement, plug wires (because I didn't route them right and the fan of the aforementioned alternator chewed through one), and an oil change. And I'm slogging through the work on mine just fine (with an occasional self-caused hiccup!). You'll have your friends eating their words in no time!

If you don't already have them, I would recommend picking up a copy of the shop manuals (they go for around $40, I think). They're very well written, and between those and the help you can find on forums, you'll do just fine.

Again, welcome aboard!

Welcome and I agree if you can do aircraft and have even just a little common sense you will make out fine. No computers needed here, just some simple tools and diagnosis advice from your new forum friends wil get you by.

Some general words of advice to get you started.

1) Formulate a plan of attack. Decide exactly what type of restoration you want to do before you start investing further. Driver (daily or otherwise) Trailer queen show car (concourse or modified) 1/4 mile or restomod, the list goes on. More folks end up throwing good money after bad because their minds change half way thru.

2) Once you decide start planning a budget. Go thru catalogs, list parts needed and any work that needs to be farmed out because it's over your head or skill level etc. Once you have a budget, double it because shit ALWAYS happens.

3) Have fun and be reasonable. More and more people who "think" they want to own a classic have no idea what is involved or get frustrated because it won't start tonight but it did this morning. No matter if you make it like new it will always be 40 year old technology and require constant tinkering. More half done cars are for sale (at a loss of investment) from owners that "lost interest" becasue they were taken in by cool factor alone.

Oh, one other thing to add to Pakrat just said, regarding prioritizing. I read it somewhere, can't remember where.

The two most important things your car has to be able to do is:

1. Go in a straight line, and
  2. Stop

:001_tt2:

It might sound basic and condescending, but to a newbie to the hobby (me) with a new purchase, with tons of sexy ideas just waiting to be implemented on it, it seemed like some of the best advice around.

Hey, Im Austin , Im a native of San Diego,CA but now im going to school at Texas A&M as an Industrial Distribution major and the proudest member of the class of 2009. Anywho, I bought my SCJ Drag Pack back when i was 13 outta a junkyard originally from Oklahoma, it took me 2 years to totaly strip it down and another 2 to rebuild it just in time for my senior prom and senior project. Now i am treasurer of the A&M Sports Car Club and have started Open tracking the car as well as using it as a daily driver. I plan on autoX it soon as well as drag racing. Even though its a big block car I had to start somewhere to I put a 347 Stroker in, and recently did a 6 speed swap with my old 4 speed. I left my dyno sheet at home but i can tell you it made a reasonable 356 hp and 375 tq. Its got a 6 point cage with removable bars and is at the moment the love of my life! lol, Here is a link to website with my car and ill try and throw a few other pics in....Awesome site by the way! http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/FeatureCars2005/AustinsMach1/Mach1Home.htmEaster2006005.jpg16_newpics06046.jpg

Welcome to the site Austin and congrates on a VERY nice Mach.

I see your speedo is broke and stuck at the pegged mark but I'm sure you'll fix that.. ha!

You have any other progress pics of the build or six speed install? So cool to see a young kid into a classic Stang.

-Stephen

You have any other progress pics of the build or six speed install? So cool to see a young kid into a classic Stang.

-Stephen

Unfortunately most of the pics or the restoration and install are on my home comp back in Cali along with my dad's laptop, ive been meaning to get them for a while, ill post some once i get them. that weblink has a pic of what i started with though

wow, nice car. and it must be cool to be Jay Bittle's boy too huh? i am a San Diego native as well. when i graduated from high school here in Texas i took the summer and went to San Diego with a couple of buddies who were also from there and we stayed with my friend Paul's folks who still lived there. this was the summer of 87 i guess maybe about the time you were concieved!!!!!!!! anyway, you're dad was kind of a legend to me at the time because everyone else that had mustangs restored them back stock and you're dad seemed kind of like an "outlawa" to me at the time. anyway welcome to the site.