Machspeed

69 Front Valance Assembly

Hey friends, I'm mocking up panels on my car and struggling with the front splash shield or valance panel. I took lots of pictures when I took the car apart but that shield seemed intuitive at the time and I subsequently skipped the picture taking. Any chance I could get one of ya's to shoot some pictures of it's attachment points for me? I've been all over the web and apparently I'm not the only one questioning this. Nothing in this in my Ford assembly manual nor is it in the Jim Osorn manuals that I have.....arghh.   

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

A couple pics from the underside.  1st Above the marker light is the bumper side bracket shiny nut. 2nd connection to the headlight bucket.  More?  Brian  

69 Valance Strut.JPG

Brian, the bolt that goes through the valance to the fender extension on top right of the above picture missed the clip nut.

Machspeed,

I did this a couple of weeks ago. In order, the two bolts with J-nuts at the wheel opening.

IMG_9161.jpg

The captured nut that goes in the valance from the inside, IMG_9162.jpg

then from the outside through the bracket that attaches to the bumper.IMG_9157.jpg

Top center of the valance, attaches to the center support with a J-nut on the support. (a couple of these I couldn't get to focus)

IMG_9160.jpg

The bolt that goes through the valance in the front and attaches to the headlight extension with a J-nut on the extension.

IMG_9158.jpg

And from the back

IMG_9163.jpg

Last is the bottom of the main support that attaches to the core support. Usually there's a J-nut on this, but the new spoiler came with a nut and bolt I used instead. No spoiler then it's definitely a J-nut.

IMG_9164.jpg

Reverse for the other side.

That should do it for this!!! Thanks fellas, appreciate ya. 

You know, I have the 1969 Car Shop manuals and also have the Osborn Assembly Manuals. Even with these, I find stuff challenging. The front valance panel illustrations are few and limiting. Is there anything better?  

Can anyone comment on the attached? Is it merely just more of what I already have?

Thanks!

1969-70FordMustangRIM.jpg

71jUAYm7fBL._SL1280_.jpg

I've not seen a book with a red cover. I have the blue Forel Part and Body Illustrations information, and it is about as good as it gets. If you have Osborn, it may be more of the same. The Helm manual may have a few more illustrations and a very brief description of what to do, but not much, and not very helpful.

Spent half the day spinning my wheels trying to get the front valance to fit up correctly. For some reason, I can't get the passenger side of the valance panel to fit up flush with the front fender. The driver's side is good. If I remove the bolt that is attached to the headlight bucket tab, I can get it to fit a little better but then I can't get the bolt in the head light bucket tab. My fenders are OEM as is the headlight buckets. The valance is Dynacorn. Thinking the Dynacorn part was the issue, I pulled out the OEM valance and it too had issues on the same side and only fit marginally better. The doors, fenders, cowl and hood are all aligned. 

I jacked around with the headlight bucket but that did nothing. As I sit here typing this, I'm wondering now if I need to adjust that front right fender, twisting it slightly. Thoughts and comments please? BTW, in the pictures, things are only loosely bolted in.  

IMG_7245.thumb.JPEG.0c4c49592c2b9c9e8b40fea5a5f751a8.JPEG

IMG_7249.JPEG

IMG_7250.JPEG

Machspeed,

A guy named Luis in Upland, CA. No joke, I don't even know his last name. His shop looks like a place you'd never leave your car in a million years, but he does great work. He came referred by a friend I trust who knows him through his work. I couldn't find anyone around here that would paint a car in less than two years, and the prices were stupid. So, I haul cars from the Portland area down to LA. He has my 69 GT right now. 

John I couldn't get that tri panel area all lined up on mine, just did the best I could. Since the fender extension on all cars doesn't have the same curve where it meets the hood, and mine and others doesn't match the fender and valance, I'm thinking the fender extension was just made with the wrong contours.

IMG_7245.thumb.JPEG.0c4c49592c2b9c9e8b40fea5a5f751a8.JPEG.961fead091a1c89b4866d7b5e96e8b66.JPEG

2 hours ago, RPM said:

John I couldn't get that tri panel area all lined up on mine, just did the best I could. Since the fender extension on all cars doesn't have the same curve where it meets the hood, and mine and others doesn't match the fender and valance, I'm thinking the fender extension was just made with the wrong contours.

IMG_7245.thumb.JPEG.0c4c49592c2b9c9e8b40fea5a5f751a8.JPEG.961fead091a1c89b4866d7b5e96e8b66.JPEG

Thanks Bob, I was wondering if this was a common problem on our cars. I have both the OEM valance and a Dynacorn one. The OEM fits marginally better. I have spent literally eight hours so far just jacking with this valance and it don't matter what I do, it won't fit fully flush. 

Brian, I thought about that too. I just hate it when crap doesn't go like I want it to, thus the crazy amount of time I've spent on it thus far....ARGHHHH