Vicfreg

Reverse light and Neutral Safety Switch

It was not clear to me from looking at the wiring diagrams, which wires were for the backup lights, and which are for the Neutral Safety Switch.

Also, any tips on installing this switch?  It looks like I need to remove my shift handle, which I am not sure I can do from inside the car.....

Vic

Reverse 1.jpg

reverse 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Also, any tips on installing this switch?  It looks like I need to remove my shift handle, which I am not sure I can do from inside the car.....

You do not need to remove the shift handle to install that switch, it is installed on the transmission over the shift shaft.

My car was originally a FMX and it was on the shifter, not the trans.  My shifter base has a hole in the side for the wiring to pass through.  I realize now I have the wrong switch…..

The switch you have is for a c4 and bolts on the side of the trans between the shifter bracket and trans. The fmx neutral safety switch has the shifter light built in while the c4 switch and light are two separate parts. On a c4 setup, the light wire goes through the shifter like the picture I added. The neutral safety switch wire goes down the tunnel and up the firewall to the plug at the center of the firewall by the gauge feed wires. 

IMG_0810.jpeg

I got the FMX switch mounted on the shifter, and ran the wires inside the car back to my trunk mounted solenoid near the battery.

Works great, easy install.

Thanks for all the help.

Vic