Her69fastback

Looking to upgrade the shocks

I agree with this.

Put gas shocks on a stock '68 that I owned years ago and the ride quality just plain disintegrated to the "buckboard" quality that they mention on the video.

JIM

I know next to nothing about shocks, but many folks over on VMF love their Bilstein shocks.  Shaun from Street or Track says the Bilsteins he (and Opentracker) sells have valving designed for our Mustangs. 

The 'YouTube' video at 17:00 has a brief blurb about shocks.  What I got out of the discussion was that hydraulic shocks are to be preferred over gas shocks.  If so, that should limit the selection by quite a bit?  Brian

I've been told that gas shocks are good for high demand use - where the piston is moving rapidly as the suspension moves such as in motor racing. The gas does not heat as fast as oil does. But the benefit is not seen with road use as they are not worked that hard. Probably opinion #3,597 of a gazillion but.

I put Koni adjustables on mine mid-last year. They were on sale and about 25% cheaper then Bilstein which is why I bought them. 

Can't compare the old ones, they were 2 dollar shop items, but I find the ride a bit hard on the road, and doesn't 'soak' up the bumps like a modern car, but does hit them. They have been set to roughly half way on the adjustment scale. I have not really changed the settings on the front, but did dial up the rear to stop axle tramp. When I get motorvation I'll change the settings but you have to pull them out to adjust them so the fronts are not enticing.

Our roads down here are probably rougher than US roads, especially main roads, and the KYB adjustable are a no-no here, for what that's worth.

I've never thought shocks made that much difference on a street car.  I never saw any reason to put expensive shocks on a car.  I just got rid of my antique KYB gas shocks and dropped the coin on a set of QA1 coil overs on the front, and stock style on the rear.   I primarily did this as I wanted coil overs on the front to be able to adjust the ride height.  What a difference the QA1 shocks made in the ride quality!  No longer did it feel my teeth were being rattled out of my head.  The other great thing on the QA1 shocks is that they're adjustable with just the turn of a knob.  I have the single adjustable shocks versus the double adjustable versions. 

20230819_085041.jpg

20230819_113707.jpg