Brian Conway

69 Beltline Weatherstrips

My 69-door window beltline weatherstrips need replacing.  I have never done the doors on a 69 so and I am hoping some of you guys, who have, can help out with some recent experiences?  Looking at the replacement kits sold by NPD it seems there are 3 kits (4 pieces/2doors) available.  One kit is made by Dales and sells for $234.  I won't be getting that one.  Repop and PUI have kits selling for $93 each.  Repop has been around for a while and I have used their product before.   Don't know anything about the PUI weatherstrip. The revues for both products are mixed. Any opinions?  Thanks, Brian   

Well, according to my research there has been a change in the dimensions of the "outer" weatherstrip at the manufacturer (extruder of the material, not Repop or PUI etc who buys the extrusion and cuts, installs clips etc) may be 10 years ago. The thickness (the diameter of the round part) has been reduced about 1/8". So you may encounter the issue of the outer weatherstrip not touching the glass no matter of how you adjust the glass. Just be warned about this issue. Due to this, I adjust/modify the window guides, where they mount to etc while doing body work to get the repro weatherstrip to seal the glass.

Here is a photo of what I am talking about. The felts on the outside is the old material the repro companies used to use, the one in the middle is the later material. The scale on top show the difference in height. The bulb diameter is about 1/8" bigger on the old material which matches the diameter of an original Ford felt. My research is about 5 years old, may be the felt manufacturer went back to the old dimensions but I doubt it.

felt line.JPG

5 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Interesting stuff and disappointing at the same time.  I am going to guess the extruder/supplier is the same for all manufacturers/vendors? Thanks for the picture and explanation.  Brian 

The manufacturers I talked to wouldn't tell me the name of their suppliers, but the extrusion they used were all smaller one so that leads me to believe they all use the same supplier.

36 minutes ago, RogerC said:

I have Repops with a date on the box of April 2020. Was trying to figure out what size the bigger bulb is. Aslanefe, what's the size of either bulb?

Original and old repros are about 9/16", newer repros are about 7/16". Your Repops from 2020 should be 7/16". Photo below is newer Repops vs original.

4 hours ago, Maynard said:

Steele rubber products made in USA ,  100% satisfaction guaranteed  . I have not tried but leaning this route

https://www.steelerubber.com/window-felt-weatherstrip-80-0276-57

All the manufacturer's of the felt kit I talked to in 2018 (as far as I remember including Steele) had the same smaller diameter. I believe there is only one supplier for the extrusion and all the manufacturers including Steele use the same extrusion. 

Let us know the dimension if/when you buy it from Steele.

felt height.JPG

39 minutes ago, RogerC said:

I have Repops with a date on the box of April 2020. Was trying to figure out what size the bigger bulb is. Aslanefe, what's the size of either bulb?

Let us know what your felt measures.

On 1/2/2024 at 9:59 AM, Brian Conway said:

Definitely not 9/16's.  Smaller and more like 1/2'''. Picture is of the NPD 69 PUI beltline ends.  Measured in the vertical position they do measure 9/16" from felt face to rubber backing? Brian

69 Beltline PUI b.JPG

Look at the photo I posted above, I measured it like you did on your photo above. I set the original and repro on an aluminum block (so that the clips are not in the way) and measured them side by side; they both have scales showing their dimension on that photo.

By the way, I have an old set of Repops felt (made from old mold) bought long time ago to use on my 69 fastback (when I restore it); it measures 9/16".

Just saw that the first photo I posted on this thread is old and new Repops felts I have in my stash; middle one is new, other two old.

Edited by aslanefe

I still have genuine Ford replacements I bought in 1982 from Circle City Mustang on my Hardtop doors ... paid $17.45 Each !!   The short quarter glass ones were NLA at that time so I cleaned up my originals the best I could.   

In 2005 I bought a full set of PUI from CJPP and replaced my outer quarter glass runs and put the inner door ones on a set of repro Dashes Direct deluxe door panels.   The inner quarter felts are still very nice and did not want to try and deal with the staples anyway.   The PUI repops are nice, but not a match to the OEM profile which is partially why I did not change out the outer door felts. 

These 2005 vintage PUI outer door felts measure closer to 1/2" ~ 33/64".

Doug

PUI-WindowFelts.JPG