Sign in to follow this  
kblagron

Window Guide Clips on Roof Rail Weatherstrip Channel

I posted this over on VMF, but probably should of posted it here, since it is 69-70 specific.  I am in the process of re-installing the roof rail weatherstrip channels on my 1970, and they are in good shape with the exception of the riveted guide clip on the driver side channel.  The passenger side has this clip (red arrow). I have new window guide clips for the ones that are attached with the channels (green arrows).

The one that is missing (driver side) is attached by a rivet that probably broke off at some point in time. My questions are - Is that guide necessary? Are there any after market replacements (I couldn't find any)? Since the channels are in good shape, I don't want to purchase these just for that guide. I think I can fabricate one if these are necessary.

It looks like the riveted clip slides on the outside of the window, and the two that are screwed in hold it from the inside, but wasn't sure.

Roof Rail Window Tabs.jpg

Really interested in the proper way to re-install.  I have my window frames off now and bought new seals with the aluminum strips but have not inspected them to see if they have the clips yet.  I did save the old parts so I should be able to figure out where they went.  I am a few months from putting it back together.

Well after perusing the internet and numerous photos, this is the way I think they go.   The photo below is a mock-up on the passenger side.  The one shown in red is a clip that is riveted to the channel and supports the outside of the glass.  The two shown in green are screwed in with the channel and they have a notch in the channel to indicate the location.  They would support the inside of the glass.   The red clip points in the opposite direction of the two green clips. 

I am not sure this  is right, but I know the riveted clip was on my car before the disassembly in that location, and looking at the clip, it would have to support the outside of the glass.  

1849461477_ChannelClipsMock-Up.thumb.jpg.d35bd5e4cda2e818b0e561134de50434.jpg