Bob & Sue

Duraspark II questions on re-curve springs

I posted this on VMF this morning.

I've looked all around can't seem to find a good answer on how to re-curve a Duraspark II dizzy.

I believe all you need to do is remove the reluctor to get at the springs is that correct?

This setup will be:

1) Duraspark II 76 I think with steel gear.
2) GM Ignition Control Module mounted on a 3"x4"x3/8" heat sink.
3) MSD or Accel 12volt 45,000 to 50,000 Coil.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sure you can find some information online.  Crane makes a spring and adjustable vacuum advance kit for the Duraspark distributors.  I have seen them on Summit Racing's website.  If it's a 1976 distributor it will have a cast iron gear.  Ford started using hydraulic roller cams in their small blocks in 1985.  You will need to change the gear if it needs to be steel.  FYI: If replacing the gear, do a search for Ford Racing's instructions.  If you purchase a MSD brand gear, they usually have instructions.  The distance from the distributor mounting surface to the bottom of the gear is critical.  If you merely line up roll pin holes it will likely be off.  This can damage the distributor, distributor gear, cam gear, or worse the block.  

I have a late model Duraspark II setup from a 1985 Mustang GT on my 302.  This was recommended by Ford Motorsport technicians.  1985 was the only year for a carbureted 5.0, and the distributor and ignition box setup works great, and is designed for the higher revving roller cam motor and cam.   Painless sells a wiring conversion kit to allow use of the "horseshoe" coil connector with your stock wiring harness.  I used a MSD blaster coil and eliminated the infamous "pink"  resistor wire. 

My Duraspark module has the "blue" plug, which is also known as the Ford Part Number "DY184".  This is the non-California" module...

Got the distributor and box from Autozone.