jgkurz

What are these connectors?

Hi folks, I am restoring my 69 engine compartment including the harness coming through the firewall near the throttle cable. My car is a 428CJ Q-code without ram air. I do have a tach. I have several wiring diagrams and schematics but can't figure out what these two bullet connectors are for? Both wires seem light green but they are probably discolored after 48 years. 

Any ideas?

7F89D0BA-672D-4698-8AEC-CDB4FBFFC439_zps

The green wire is normally for an AC car, but for Boss cars, it is a run-only line that I suspect goes to the carb solenoid?  The other line typically is blue/red and is for the shifter lamp.  Take some lacquer thinner to the wires to clean them up; I have never seen two green wires with large female bullets past the firewall.

I have confirmed that one bullet connector is for the AC compressor (if I had one). The second was confirmed to be 12v for the shifter light. I suspect that wire was a different color in 69.

Thanks again.

545D9280-92D5-46BF-9905-8E3F9E75BB63_zps

8 hours ago, Midlife said:

The green wire is normally for an AC car, but for Boss cars, it is a run-only line that I suspect goes to the carb solenoid?  The other line typically is blue/red and is for the shifter lamp.  Take some lacquer thinner to the wires to clean them up; I have never seen two green wires with large female bullets past the firewall.

I thought lacquer thinner on the wires would remove labeling and the stripes?  I think I "saw" or heard this guidance somehwere.  Is there any risk of removing color codes?

4 hours ago, JayEstes said:

I thought lacquer thinner on the wires would remove labeling and the stripes?  I think I "saw" or heard this guidance somehwere.  Is there any risk of removing color codes?

Absolutely not!  I use LT exclusively (I go through about 5 gallons per year) to clean wiring harnesses, although some plastic plugs from 70-73 seem to "melt" with LT is applied.  In those cases, I use Formula 409 or vinegar.  The only wires that LT will remove the color are those wires that are painted at the factory.  Typically, they are fuel sensor lines near the trunk area, fusible links, and occasionally lines that go to the coil.  All of these wires have very thick rubbery insulation, not the standard PVC insulation.  PVC colors and stripes are impregnated into the insulation as they are extruded during manufacture.

Don't believe everything you hear or read on the Internet.  Back in 1998, the wifey warned me about going onto forums, as they are frequented by Internet Ax Murderers.  Nonsense.  They were Chainsaw Murderers.

Wifey sounds like a very smart lady. It's much harder for a chainsaw murderer to sneak up on you than it is for an ax murderer, so I don't worry about them.

Thanks for the tip about lacquer thinner. I still run the original wiring in my car and it carries half a century of dirt on it. I was always afraid of chemical cleaners taking the color off so I used dish soap and water -- helped a bit but not great.. Gonna give the LT a try.

20 hours ago, Midlife said:

Absolutely not!  I use LT exclusively (I go through about 5 gallons per year) to clean wiring harnesses, although some plastic plugs from 70-73 seem to "melt" with LT is applied.  In those cases, I use Formula 409 or vinegar.  The only wires that LT will remove the color are those wires that are painted at the factory.  Typically, they are fuel sensor lines near the trunk area, fusible links, and occasionally lines that go to the coil.  All of these wires have very thick rubbery insulation, not the standard PVC insulation.  PVC colors and stripes are impregnated into the insulation as they are extruded during manufacture.

Don't believe everything you hear or read on the Internet.  Back in 1998, the wifey warned me about going onto forums, as they are frequented by Internet Ax Murderers.  Nonsense.  They were Chainsaw Murderers.

Thanks for the good advice.  Glad to know it's a myth, as I had almost propagated the myth to a friend recently.  I use that chemical a lot to clean things on the mustang... A more aggressive cleaner than LT+scotchbrite is hard to come by.  My prob is I can't find any gloves that can standup to that combo.  The ones that can take it (PVC) are usually so stiff that I lose almost all dexterity.  Nitrile melts on contact, and latex maybe fairs only a little better.

And just keep listening to the wifey- especially if she's the one that wears the "bank of midlife" t-shirt...

(apologies in advance for taking thread slightly off topic..  hopefully still good info for anyone ID'ing and cleaning harnesses.)

Yeah, I've yet to find a glove to keep LT off my fingers.  I have a permanent case of dermatitis, or so it seems.  Oh well, cost of doing business.

Oh, and that isn't the wifey, that's Ms. Bank of Midlife.  There's extra charges for "handling" if you know what I mean.  Oh yes, in addition, there's substantial penalties for early withdrawl.  It's fun to run a bank!