RPM

Engine Dies After Driving

1 hour ago, barnett468 said:

The can't accurately determine what the best setting is . It needs to be set for each individual engine.

Never heard of a 1/2 vacuum port.

Ok you got me I meant the Timed Spark Vacuum Port it puts out zero to 7 vacuum at idle.

I was referring to what Pertronix recommended for my setup on the timing & springs. 

Here's a good site on Ford timing curve setup.

http://jimsprojectgarage.weebly.com/timing-and-advance-curves.html

2 minutes ago, stangnet33 said:

Hey Bob, while we're giving you instructions, put some window screening in front of that purdy rad for your long trips. {I'm sure you thought of this already :)  )

I'm sure you don't know how my mind doesn't work :)   No I hadn't thought of it as my local driving rarely involves insects. But I will try to remember to do that.

2 hours ago, Bob & Sue said:

Ok you got me I meant the Timed Spark Vacuum Port it puts out zero to 7 vacuum at idle.

I was referring to what Pertronix recommended for my setup on the timing & springs. 

Here's a good site on Ford timing curve setup.

http://jimsprojectgarage.weebly.com/timing-and-advance-curves.html

the vacuum port should have less than 1 hg of vacuum at idle . if it does not you should fix the carb and/or timing until it does otherwise you should not use it.

again, pertronix can not, not, not determine what is best for your setup or anyone else's . it is absolutely impossible . it does not work that way.

Oh boy! As it's Masters Sunday I'll quote Phil Mickelson, "I'm such an idiot!". Way back twenty-two months when we first broke in the motor, the distributor was left loose to get it fired and running. Yep. Never tightened the hold down bolt. DOH! It was running pretty much straight up with no advance on the timing, and moving who knows how much while running. Set initial timing at 16°, total of 38 all in at 3k rpm. Adjusted the carb, idle jets and idle. It sounds and responds much better. Ya think? Thanks to whoever that guy was who suggested/demanded I check the timing curve. Oh wait, that was the fuel bowl level  :)

So I took it for a spin around the park, what a difference, night and day. Idles better, immediate smooth response off idle, accelerates quickly and leaves as much rubber on the road as I want! Life is good again.

Thanks much guys!

Now that I say this I'll jinx it. I've kinda got a get out of jail card as a retired copper. Haven't received any infractions after being pulled over since 1977. And for you naysayers, while I don't try to get pulled over, I've earned the pass.