RPM

Additional Wires Thru The Firewall

I routinely run one or two extra lines through the firewall grommet, but I have a technique that I'd like to keep private: trade secret.  It ain't easy to do, though...

Come on, you can't put that out there without giving us the rest. We will haunt you until you tell us.

Absolutely Mike. A pet peeves of mine is unfinished internet forum car repair threads. The vast majority of tech I search for has no closure.

Here's the kicker, I was on the phone with my boy last night who did the trunk enclosure and wired the stereo and who knows about this wiring issue. I start to tell him about a tool Larryc94 recommends, and when I say the tool looks like a screw driver my boy finishes the sentence with and it has a hollow shaft with an angle cut tip. WTFresno? Why didn't you mention that? Oh I forgot, but we used it at the stereo shop. Oy!

http://www.thexton.com/wire-insertion-tool-p-44.html  can be gotten for less https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE436-Wire-Insertion-tool/dp/B000P9IGCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487385089&sr=1-1&keywords=thexton+436

The handle is hollow,  I have the older red handle one.  Push the tool through the grommet, push the wire through the handle, then remove tool, done

Larry

I use to make these from a broken power antenna section, sharpened against a grinder back in the 80's when I installed car alarms :-)

That tool will NOT work fishing wires through an existing wire bundle/grommet, but is designed for grommets that simply cover holes.

After having the tool in hand in afraid Randy is correct. But thankfully he pm'd me his double secret method of running the wires thru the grommet. Since that pm never happened I drilled a hole in what looks like a round flat area in the firewall below the engine harness grommet. As not much is left stock on my car, no worries.

I'll post some pics in my build thread once everything is connected. Thanks for the ideas guys.

You can run a couple of wires through the existing grommet.  Here's how, buy this tool from Harbor Freight for removing windows:

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-windshield-removal-kit-96339.html

Now take the long needle like thing and tape a wire to the very end.  Duct tape, electrical tape will work but you don't need a ton of it.  Push straight through the grommet until you come out the other side enough to unwind the tape.  Then remove the tool and you have your wire through.

By the way, that tool also comes in handy for removing our front and rear windshields.

david