fvike

How to: Disconnect remote mirror control

So, I couldn't figure out how to remove the mirror and control mechanism from my mirror housing, so I just taped it up. However, my painter, smart guy that he is figured it out in no time. There was a thread on here a while back, but I think it was inconclusive. Anyway, here's how; it's quite easy.

30558474174_939dfe418a_b.jpg

The wires has hooks in the end.

30572661883_d778f98cd8_b.jpg

Just push down the control joystick and unhook the wires. Voila!

31265057091_8cdec48a09_b.jpg

The rest of the mirror mechanism comes out like the passenger side mirrors, so they can be disassembled for paint.

Now that I see your pic, I'm 99% sure that is how I removed the remote assy. when I painted my car in the early 80's.  

I knew I had done it and had no issue putting it back together, but being so long ago I certainly could not explain exactly what I did !!

You also need to mark which cable came from where on the control since there is more than one way.  

IIRC, you also need to carefully spread the pot metal fingers to get the cables out as well then carefully crimp back down when re-assembling.

Doug